Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken

Options
So i made my first chicken last night. It clocked in at a 7.8# before I prepped it and put it on the grill. I put it raised indirect @ 400f for almost two hours until the deepest part of the breast was 165 IT. Well most of the breast was tasty but some of it was chewy and the wing wouldn't come off the body no matter how hard we tried. I haven't tried the thighs but they looked awesome. Any ideas on how to improve the experience next go round? I imagine that the size of the bird played a factor. 
Memphis TN - Large Green Egg

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    A smaller bird definitely works for me. Also raised direct will get it done and juicy in a bout at hour. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Like Johnny says, raised direct + spatchcocked chicken = 1 hour every time!

Our favorite cook when company comes.It gets rave reviews every time.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Interesting.... 

I'm in the indirect club instead of direct.  A spatched chicken has never taken that long for me.  

I just did two spatches Thursday and was running at around 300-350° and took roughly 1.25 hrs.  

I had one a standard height and another on top.  Good vittles.  

Is your dome temp correct?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kwdickert
    Options
    That's a good question. Could be off but I do know that my digital probe was accurate on breast internal temp. It was done by minimum standards. IDK what i shouldve done differently. Honestly we like wings and we like chicken breasts done on their own better than we liked the wings and breast from this spatchcock. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I go indirect at about 375, myself.

i pull the chicken off at 160 (or the high 150s) and allow carry over cooking to finish it off.  If you took it to 165, carry over almost certainly took it past 170.  

it just sounds over cooked to me.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Two thoughts

That was a big chicken - which means it was an old tough bird. Chickens that large are generally called "stewing chickens". The name gives a good hint on the best cooking method.

Cooking until the breast is 165º means the white meat got overcooked. There will be at least a 5º carryover, and probably more with that large of a bird.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• kwdickert
    Options
    well that's probably what accounted for the chewiness. Anyone wrap them and let them rest for a bit after cooking so they don't dry out?
  • kwdickert
    Options
    next time i'll go with a smaller bird and go to 160 or so on the breast and then let it finish off the grill. THIS is why i come here. At least my suspicions were correct. I actually think the chicken WAS labeled stewing hen. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    That's a good question. Could be off but I do know that my digital probe was accurate on breast internal temp. It was done by minimum standards. IDK what i shouldve done differently. Honestly we like wings and we like chicken breasts done on their own better than we liked the wings and breast from this spatchcock. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Well, I'm not exactly sure, but appears the bird was over cooked.  You did spatch the correct way I assume?  

These items should almost fall off the bird (wings, thigh, leg).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kwdickert
    Options
    yea i cooked it the right way and cut it the right way. mustve been a tough old bird AND it sounds like i overcooked it a bit. It wasn't terribly chewy. Most of the breast was great but just some of it was kind of sinew-y chewy. IDK how to describe it.  I'm gonna calibrate the thermometer tonight (even though it's a brand new replacement as of three weeks ago). 
  • kwdickert
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    400℉-425℉  raised direct
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL