Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Orion cooker, take it easy on me...

Options
Before you jump on me, I'm heading out of town for thanksgiving and was planning to offer up cooking the turkey with my Orion cooker I bought many moons ago for around $40 on clearance at lowes. It's a lot more mobile than my LBGE.

In he past my father and I have been pretty successful doing trash can turkey, started out in a galvanized trash can (I know that's not healthy). So when I found the stainless Orion I jumped on it. Anyways I've had good success with it as well, but my most recent (3 years ago)  I went with the same method, 7 mins per pound, but when I opened her up after not peaking, the bird had ripped in half and fallen off the stand, needless to say it was overdone, but it was still pretty decent.

This time around I have a different strategy, I plan to tie the bird with butchers twine to prevent any splitting, but would also like to incorporate my new technology, that being the maverick prob thermo. The Orion doesn't have a port of any sorts, and I've seen options for either knotching the sidewall where the lid slides on, or drilling and adding a permanent port (WSM eyelet) in the side. 

Any my thoughts or advice from anyone who had used this style of cooker? Sorry so long. Below is a example for those who aren't familiar.

Comments

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    interesting...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    My father in law has one. He always does turkeys. They turn out good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I have one. Haven't used in a while. Always did a good job for me. I just ran my thermometer out under the lid and up onto something to keep it away from the charcoal. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't used a cooker like that before but seeing how the top overlaps the bottom I think I would use a Dremel or a file to put a notch on the bottom for the probe wire just to make sure it didn't get severed when you put the lid on.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    My Dad has one and I used it a couple of times to see if I'd want one. It's a pain to clean out when you're done. Wrap the drip pan in foil, it'll help with some of that. 

Like @RRog17said above, run a thermometer under the lid. I wrapped the part above the coals with foil just to protect it. Don't start it and then open to insert the probe once the fire dies down, everything I read about that cooker said you had to leave it shut once it was lit. I didn't try it, so I'm not clear on what happens if it gets opened. 

Only other thing I can think to tell you is not to use match light charcoal. It burns out way too quickly. Good ol' kingsford with some fluid should do you well.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby