Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Periodically basting a turkey? Tenting with foil?

Options
I am trying a BGE turkey for the first time tomorrow. It's for a holiday Potluck so there is a lot at stake :tired_face:  Conventionally, I would baste the bird every 30 minutes or so and tent it with foil at some point after it's become dark enough. On the egg, do I need to do all/any of this? Why? Why not?
- Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
- Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015

Comments

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Inexperperienced with turkeys on the egg.. So I will watch on for the tips lol... Good luck tho! Take pics :) 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Thanks. He both basted and tented, so I guess opening the egg that frequently isn't such a no-no after all.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Not a baster here. Not tenter .

basting doesn't add moisture to the bird. It just gives the cook something to do.

We might rub with butter or oil to give the skin some extra color, bit otherwise set it and forget it, and get a beautiful bird.

Tenting seems to keep it cooling a bit and can sometimes cause condensation on the skin

we just rest the bird uncovered for a half hour. Always still hot 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I rarely tent the turkey unless I'm trying to condensed drippings for gravy.

One of the best turkeys I ever had was when a friend basted every 15 - 20 minutes with melted butter, which produced a mahogany brown coating that was completely crispy. I've done that a few times, and it was good, but too much fuss. What I do instead is make herbed butter, and force as much of that as I can under the skin. Then, check towards the end and if any portions seems to be getting over cooked, baste. w drippings.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't baste or tent either. However,  opening the egg is no big deal anyway, whether basting, probing or just looking. It is not a sheet metal Weber that loses heat quickly. The ceramic mass stores the heat so when you re-close the dome, the temp comes back quickly. I've never subscribed to the "if you're lookin', you ain't cookin" theory. Not with an egg anyway. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bakoque
    Options
    I don't baste or tent, just put it on and let the egg do the work until finish temp is reached. Pic is of two 12 pounders.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Agree completely no baste or tent.  Just unnecessary.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Just put it on. Trying to maintain  330°F. Will baste after the first hour and only tent if it gets too dark  
  • annjamaican
    Options
    So it was cooked in, basically, 3 hours. Any advice eon keeping it warm until I am actually ready? I just tented and closed the vents, trying to keep at steady 200 but the bird is getting to 170... 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Get it off the smoker.

Put it in the oven at 170 and as soon as the oven gets to temp, cut it off and just let it sit their IMO
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Get it off the smoker.

Put it in the oven at 170 and as soon as the oven gets to temp, cut it off and just let it sit their IMO
    Thanks. I wish I had gotten the warning that it would cook so much quicker than anticipated. 
  • annjamaican
    Options