Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big green egg pricing any good?

Options
This is the quote I got from local dealer. Didn't know how good these prices were. Package includes plate setter for both also. New to this!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    This is the quote I got from local dealer. Didn't know how good these prices were. Package includes plate setter for both also. New to this!
    You might want to tell us where you live as transportation costs are a factor. OTOH I can assure you those prices have built in profit factors and the mere fact that he hasn't even offered you a smig of a discount is total bull sh!t. That quote is moving a lot of merchandise for most dealers and he/she better knock off at least 10% of that quote as a mere minimum. Then if you like to haggle you got to get that up closer to 15%. Don't be afraid to go to another dealer for another quote and then play them against each other. But to pay that quote out right you would be foolish IMO. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Sounds like good pricing to me. A somewhat local dealer sells the XL for $999. For $300 more you're getting the nest, platesetter, ashtool, etc...
  • rossv1
    rossv1 Posts: 114
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What's your location? Might be able to find someone to chime in as to a good place to find a better price near you. I believe $1299 is MSRP for the XL but I'm not 100% certain. 

I will say that if you're buying that much stuff at 1 time and your dealer isn't offering a discount I'd look for a new dealer.

22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • Mikee
    Options
    I guess I missed the part where $1299 was for just the Egg. I thought it included other accessories.
  • bigchef1995
    Options
    1299 is for the package. Nest,platesetter,Ashtool, and a few other extras. I'm located in central illinois 
  • RRP
    Options
    1299 is for the package. Nest,platesetter,Ashtool, and a few other extras. I'm located in central illinois 
    You have a message from me...seeing you are new here you may think the notice to your email is spam. 
  • Mikee
    Options

And I thought it was just my eyes reading the fine print. I think you got a good price.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    At first I didn't understand why the cost was so high....then I saw it was for TWO XL's and I feel better now. Still like @RRP said that's allot of merchandise to not get a discount off of standard pricing.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mikee
    Options
    What is the MSRP pricing for a XL Egg, nest, platesetter, ash tool, lump, grill gripper, fire starters, and smoking chips? My guess is that MSRP is well over $1299. MSRP of just the XL Egg is encroaching $1299.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    If it were me I would drive around to some other dealers. Maybe make some phone calls. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Who pays MSRP?
  • Mikee
    Options
    Who pays MSRP?

What is the MSRP pricing for a XL Egg, nest, platesetter, ash tool, lump, grill gripper, fire starters, and smoking chips? My guess is that MSRP is well over $1299. MSRP of just the XL Egg is encroaching $1299.

Seems everyone gets the XL at a discounted price and then the dealer also throws in another $200-350 worth of freebies.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Glad to see you back @Mikee .  I have two eggs, I didn't pay MSRP for either. Perhaps the answer to my question is @mikee
  • Mikee
    Options

Yolk

What is MSRP of the XL? The OP is getting additional items thrown in.

I'd have to look back as to what I paid for my small egg 8-9 years ago. I am a shopper and I believe the small cost me under $300 for: Egg, nest, cover, platesetter, ash tool, gripper, lump, ect...

Why is everyone knocking the price the OP has gotten? No one has provided any information of a pricing that is better. Call your dealer and see if they can knock off another several hundred dollars from what the OP was quoted.

Yolk: I've been here. Just not posting

• jhowell1976
    Options
    Last week I picked up a BGE mini max from a place down here in St Petersburg for $525, and he threw in a handful of extras with it (starters, drink koozies, etc, nothing expensive).  That was brand new in the box, nothing defective, dropped, etc.  That's $75 under MSRP on a mini max.  He wouldn't have sold it for that price if he was losing money on it. 

Your dealer ought to be able to come down a minimum of 10% and still turn a decent profit on the transaction.  Especially if you're buying 2 XLs.
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    A lot of place, at least in my area, do price matching. I would recommend researching all local dealers and calling to discuss pricing and use the price match for whatever you find. That's what I did.. Worked out pretty decent.
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Places *
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    XL around here is $999.99
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • RRP
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I sent you an email via this forum, but you haven't responded. You said you live in central IL. I see your quote uses 6.25% sales tax. That tells me the quote did not come from Peoria, Washington nor Bloomington where sales tax rates are 8.25%, 8% and 7.75% respectively.  Care to tell me where you received this quote?
  • RRP
    Options
    BTW I also know that is not the tax rate for BGE dealers in German Town Hills, Fairbury, Sterling nor Springfield. 
  • bigchef1995
    Options
    RRP said:
    BTW I also know that is not the tax rate for BGE dealers in German Town Hills, Fairbury, Sterling nor Springfield. 

I live North of champaign 50 miles. My local dealer is in fairbury 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Why do you need (2) grill grippers and (2) ash tools? Also no need for covers. I would at a minimum tell them to remove these and give a new price. But others are right, any of the dealers around here would offer the bundled "discount" but then still offer a discount off total price. Then again I am in the south  =)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

Hmmm, I'm still confused at the 6.25% rate they quoted you as the tax rate shows as being 7.25%b in Fairbury. BTW if you get that much fire power there in Clifton you'll be on the map for sure! You must be considering them for a restaurant biz maybe?
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I paid 1500.00 for my XL 3years ago and received platesetter, nest, Mates, handler, ash tool, 20 pounds of BGE Lump and starters and it was assembled. they wanted 50.00 dollars to deliver it 10 miles away and I chose to pick it up my self. I live in Dimondale Michigan (Lansing) I believe I paid retail and received 10% off the price of the XL which I used for the extras. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • bigchef1995
    Options
    The eggs will be in two different locations so I need tools for both. (One at Lake and one for home) He took 50 dollars off each egg package because I want to do the assembly. I have a truck so he doesn't need to deliver. I was just not sure of how much discount to expect 
  • bigchef1995
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Hmmm, I'm still confused at the 6.25% rate they quoted you as the tax rate shows as being 7.25%b in Fairbury. BTW if you get that much fire power there in Clifton you'll be on the map for sure! You must be considering them for a restaurant biz maybe?
    Yeah my tax rate is 6.25 and that's what he quoted me so I'm not sure on that. I am just getting into this and do not want to regret buying a small one, I do quite a bit of cooking. One is for the lake and one is for my house
  • RRP
    Options
    Well, going back to what I said last night at the outset for most dealers which I'm sure is true for Dave's in Fairbury that potential sale has a heap of built in profit. For that reason he ought to be willing to discount it more than the $100 he allowed you!
  • annjamaican
    Options
    1,299 for the XL package is an excellent deal. I paid 1,688 for my XL with nest, plate setter, a tiered rack, and remote thermometer. I might have been ripped off.
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • bigchef1995
    Options
    Called quite a few dealers this morning, they all want at least 1450 to 1500 for the XL package