Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel question

Options
I just bought the large egg and it came with a gasket wrapped around the throat. The problem is after "breaking in" the egg a couple of times at 350 degrees, the gasket appears to have expanded and sealed the daisy wheel to the egg. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, does the daisy wheel need to be seasoned to reduce rust since its cast iron?

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I've had my XL Egg for several years now and all I do is put the daisy wheel in the Egg when I'm done cooking and it's cooling down.  It cleans the gunk off of it and it doesn't have a sign of rust on it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I took that gasket off. It only causes problems. It might rust a little. One of mine has a little rust on it. 

Welcome to the forum! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • gcovington10
    Options
    Thanks YEMTrey, makes sense , that's what I'm going to do when I get it off.
  • gcovington10
    Options
    Thanks John. I'll be removing the gasket as well. I would think this problem is happening to everyone who is buying the current new egg. It's a good concept for a snug fit, but the throat gasket needs to be thinner.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    My first egg didn't come with one, but my next one did. After a few cooks on my new one the gasket started sliding off when I pulled the daisy wheel off. I liked the idea of it because when I first started egging I opened the lid too quick and the daisy wheel fell off! 

After a couple of cooks on the new one I decided to pull it off. It hasn't been perfected yet. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    My eggs are BNGOD (Before Needless Gasket On Dome)

Trouble with that gasket is it makes taking the Daisy off difficult and/or turning it easily so that it never flies open losing your tuned in settings when you open your dome! Once you learn to line up the bolt heads it will never fly open! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Next time you cook, let the Egg get hot and then pull it off. If you've done a lot of smoking, it could possibly be gunned up. I too took the gasket off. 
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Both my gaskets are on and have 0 problems with them.
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Mine came off after my second cook.  I was going to run by lowes this evening and buy some high temp adhesive and put another gasket on (I have spare from my precious life as a WSM owner) but sounds like slot of you guys don't see a need for the gasket?
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    1WVU said:
    Mine came off after my second cook.  I was going to run by lowes this evening and buy some high temp adhesive and put another gasket on (I have spare from my precious life as a WSM owner) but sounds like slot of you guys don't see a need for the gasket?
    I don't see the need for it. I liked it at first because my daisy wheel was snug, but as long as I don't lift the lid too quickly, like before, I don't see the need for it.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Agreed.  My XL was bought prior to them coming with a gasket on the chimney.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have two large BGE's. No gasket on the daisy wheel on either one.
    I have no problems regulating the temperature without the gasket.