Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Maintenance

Options
Charly
Charly Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Noticed that after about 2 months of egging with my new large that my felt gaskets are getting discolored from the smoke and have collected remnants of past meals.I have seen archived posts that said this could contribute to them fusing together on high temp cooks.I was just wondering if anyone has a method for cleaning them or if it should even be a concern.I wanted to let everyone know it was after finding this forum that made my mind up on purchasing our egg.Thanks to all you folks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us newbies.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />Charly, welcome to the world of good BBQ - my egg is a little over a year old, gets used very often and I've never actually looked at the gaskets - maybe tomorrow. If they stick together or leak a lot of smoke, I'll probably replace them - but for now, they work just fine.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Charly,[p]Welcome to the forum and Egg family.[p]I've stuck the gaskets together only twice. Both times were when using new Eggs for first time high temp cooks (550°+F). Once the seal "matures" (as you describe yours has), it seems to not want stick. It does slowly dry with use and may require eventual replacement.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Charly,[p]Mine is 2.5 yrs old and still going strong. The ends of the lower gasket are loose but only the very ends and it does no harm. I have a new one to replace it if I ever feel the need to. Keeping the food and grease off is key. It darkens up real fast, like Spin said, then becomes less apt to stick. Mine get sooty and I will lightly rub the surface with a brass wire brush that I use to clean the grid. Lightly is key here so you don't remove any gasket, just the carbon or food build up. I am not sure that helps but it doesn't seem to hurt.[p]Tim