Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick AND Thermopen...

Options
...is there a need for both?
I already have a Maverick. I enjoy knowing what's going on with the Egg and what it's cooking from the comfort of my kitchen. 
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Absolutely. Thermapen is a must in my opinion. Fast and accurate readings. It gets used every cook. The Maverick is more for low and slow cooks. I use my Thermapen to double check my Maverick readings.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Agreed.  I use both but if it had to be one it would be the thermapen. 
    Toronto ON
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Both is best.  Thermopen or similar I find extremely useful.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No. I have both and never use the maverick. To me it's not worth the bother. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    My Maverick is giving me a reading of LLL.  I read somewhere that means the probes have a short.  Can you buy just the probes?
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I find the Maverick useless.  The temp of my Egg is ultra stable year round and I can check with a quick read thermo as needed. Too much hassle to take out of the drawer anymore. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    My Maverick is giving me a reading of LLL.  I read somewhere that means the probes have a short.  Can you buy just the probes?
    Yes. You might consider buying a whole new unit as probes are $30-$40. I found my bluetooth Maverick for $50. Probes are available though 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Call customer service. There have been some reports that they will send you a free replacement probe. Certainly worth a try.

I use my Maverick all the time on low and slows so I can check it from the bedroom on overnight cooks.  I also have a Thermapen for quickly checking different parts of the meat.  You could also just get a Thermopop if you don't want to spend the money for the Thermapen.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Thermapen invaluable. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I just noticed yesterday that the Ceramic Grill Store stocks Maverick probes ... $15.99 apiece.  http://ceramicgrillstore.com/thermometers-1/

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I use both. Longer cooks, it's nice to monitor from inside with the Maverick. Thermapen gets used for everything.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options

I just purchased the 733 this year to monitor my slow and lows. Literally used the unit once, went to use it for the second time and I got the same LLL error. I called the customer support, they took my info and a new probe arrived in a couple of days. Great customer service but not sure if I would by again. Love my thermapen and the new one looks pretty slick too!
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    For the BGE, I just use the Maverick, and it works very well. That way I don't have to open the dome. Thermopop works very well
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Absolutely. Thermapen is a must in my opinion. Fast and accurate readings. It gets used every cook. The Maverick is more for low and slow cooks. I use my Thermapen to double check my Maverick readings.
    Thermapen (or thermapop) will (or should) get used every time you cook, not just when you cook meat on the egg.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I just checked my thermometers last weekend, the Maverick and the Thermapen were within a degree of each other. Pick one and use it, there's nothing wrong with either. Myself, I use the Maverick or DigiQ for long cooks, the Thermapen for faux grilling such as chicken thighs, steaks, chops, etc.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Mosca said:
    I just checked my thermometers last weekend, the Maverick and the Thermapen were within a degree of each other. Pick one and use it, there's nothing wrong with either. Myself, I use the Maverick or DigiQ for long cooks, the Thermapen for faux grilling such as chicken thighs, steaks, chops, etc.
    faux grilling?
    NOLA
  • Mosca
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Mosca said:
    faux grilling?
    well it's not exactly the same as grilling. That was the easiest way to express that it is different.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    So, @Mosca, what exactly is "GRILLING"?
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Mosca
    Options
    So, @Mosca, what exactly is "GRILLING"?
    Are you trying to chase me away by being argumentative? Because it's no big deal to me, if you want to be unfriendly it's a big Internet, I'll find somewhere else. Just say so. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    The beginnings of another hostile thread, but this one has nothing to do with levels of education, scary
  • Mosca
    Options
    It's okay. The world will turn whether I participate or not. I don't understand why I am being badgered, but it really doesn't matter. It is enough that we can agree that everyone has better things to do.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'd use one or the other. Thermapen at the end just to check. The thermapen can also read high enough to check oil temp in the fryer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I look at the maverick as an insurance plan against a low and slow going bad while I'm asleep or if I'm running an errand away from the egg.  It could be used to spot check temps but it would be a pain and not as accurate as the pen. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Maverick and thermoworks DOT...nothing wrong and the DOT gives accurate temps fast enough.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I emailed them a couple weeks ago, told them I only had the untit for a couple weeks (which I did) and it had a reading of HHH, which is the same thing. 

They emaile sme back, and sent me a new probe for free, no questions asked.

they also told me they recommend putting foil around the wires, so I did, now I have no issues