Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp stuck at 500

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
had the egg going up att about 700 and now attempting to get it back down to 350. But it wont get lower the 500. its stuck there. All things are closed off and no air is getting in. Do i just need to be patient?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    yeah
    depending how long at 700, it can have a lot of inertial in that ceramic mass.[p]welcome to the world of the egg. a metal grill gets way too hot to touch, and cools off real quick. proof of it's inefficiency.[p]choking it off completely will do it, but you can usually give it a little air (tiniest crack), so she doesn't truly go out on you

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    I have found that leaving the top open while shutting the bottom tends to bleed the heat off the egg fairly quickly. Another thing you can do is add more lump, if you can lift off the grill. I have done a high temp cook and then added a fair amount more "cold" lump and it really knocks the heat down for a "lo & slo" after a t-rex steak cook. [p]Good luck!
    Kent