Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melted Gasket Questions

Options
FossilPeddler
FossilPeddler Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I am a newbie and I tried my first T-Rex last night. I neglected that part about "if you smell gasket melting it is time to sear", and in fact didn't smell it until the temp was probably well over 900 degrees, and had been that hot for quite some time. As soon as I carefully opened the lid, the gooey black mess that had been the gasket ignited. Having seen messages about Eggs getting stuck shut, I left the Egg open overnight. I now have a crusty black gasket remnant on both halves. Questions:1) Is it OK to cook on it (at lower temps) until I replace the gasket? 2) Should I order a replacement BGE or I see the Rutland option on NakedWhiz's site, or is there a better option? [p]I think I can go forward without repeating this mistake, but I wish the gasket wasn't so vulnerable. This seems to me to be the only weakness of the egg, otherwise it is fantastic and I have had some great cooks.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    FossilPeddler,the thing to understand about the 'shortcomings' of the egg is that we users are pretty much pushing it past the originally intended limits. kinda like "hey, why does my engine light come on when i drive at 140 for three hours?"[p]of course the BGE folks knew we'd sear, but i don't believe they mention 900-1000 degress like we occasionally do.[p]ok, that said, they ARE (rumor has it) shipping a gasket now that is 'indestructible'. check with the home office to see for sure. they noticed that we go nuke all the time, and have made some changes to keep up. one was the unbreakable firebox, the other is the soon-to-be-widely-available(?) gasket.[p]in the future, if you need mucking around time, set the temps for 600 or so. then you can muddle around with the steaks etc. and when you need 900, you can take the daisy off and let her ramp. it'll take no time from 600, and 600 is safer to cruise.[p]the rutland is NOT advised by BGE or rutland, as it is declared 'unsafe around food'. ...some of us have em and some don't. RRP was shipping kits, but i don't know if he still is.[p]whew.
    lastly, light a fire and see if you have temp control. if you do, no rush to put on a new gasket.[p]if not, the felt replacement is super easy. you could opt for the rutland, or your could try to chase down the holy grail, the unicorn/bigfoot/nessie that is the 'new' gasket.[p]good luck

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BTG
    BTG Posts: 76
    Options
    FossilPeddler,[p]My gasket is just like yours and has been for about 1 year. I have a replacement but have not replaced it because 1) the fire still snuffs out when I close the lower damper and put the ceramic cap on top and 2) it still holds low temps steady with minimal adjustment. It does leak smoke around the edges occasionally but doesn't seem to affect cooking. I will replace it once one of the two conditions above are not true. [p]There are 2 other replacement gasket materials I have seen used but don't have any personal expierence with.[p]Rutland - many eggers use these with great results. The theoretical down side is that using it on the egg is an off-label use since the package says it is not supposed to be used around food prep.[p]Cotronics ceramic gasket material. I think several eggers use this as well. I don't know any down sides the benefit is that it can take temps over whose that you can produce in the egg. I don't know which product most people use but I think you would have to get a ceramic tape and an adhesive.[p]HTH
    [ul][li]cotronics gasket material[/ul]
  • FossilPeddler
    Options
    stike(and BTG),[p]Thank you both for your comments and ideas. This board is the greatest.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    FossilPeddler,[p]Yes, it rocks.[p]Do you sell fossils and if so, do you have a website? [p]I'm in the market for one of two more.

• FossilPeddler
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,[p]Yes, I do. If I can figure out how to update the "Visitor Profile" I just created, I will add my website to the profile. For now, it is www.greenriverstone.com.[p]
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    FossilPeddler,[p]Thanks, I'll check it out..
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    FossilPeddler,
    Questions:1) Is it OK to cook on it (at lower temps) until I replace the gasket?
    - I think it is better to assume that you can cook at higher temps if your gasket is already fried. You have nothing to lose now at nuke temps and you might not be able to do real low temps now anyway.[p]2) Should I order a replacement BGE or I see the Rutland option on NakedWhiz's site, or is there a better option?
    - Go with the new gasket BGE is producing. I just called them and they should be ready to ship by the end of the week. They told me to call back tomorrow and I should be able to order.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    FossilPeddler,
    i have 2 eggs with burned out gaskets, just a little charring left on lip. after readjusting the dome bands they seal fine and i dont think ill ever change them. on a third egg, the sealing area is wavy, i use the rutland gasket on that one, but may change over to the newer felt at a later time. first check and see if you can adjust the dome to get a good seal without changing the gasket.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it