Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aftermarket fire grate

Options
2»

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    luckyboy said:
    I purchased my KAB about a month ago but haven't used it yet.My plan was to shake what ash I could from the lump and then pull the basket from the egg and use my vacuum to clean out the egg leaving reusable lump in thebasket then placing the basket back in the egg after adding lump if needed. I pepersonally clean my egg after every cook,  just my thing.
    I would never cook. I'm too damn lazy for that, but to each his own. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    luckyboy said:
    I purchased my KAB about a month ago but haven't used it yet.My plan was to shake what ash I could from the lump and then pull the basket from the egg and use my vacuum to clean out the egg leaving reusable lump in thebasket then placing the basket back in the egg after adding lump if needed. I pepersonally clean my egg after every cook,  just my thing.
    I would never cook. I'm too damn lazy for that, but to each his own. 
    I rarely ever remove the basket personally. I use it much as the other devices are used. I do like the side vent hole protection and it is nice to occasionally remove it and do a more thorough cleanup or pick out partially burnt wood chunks if your next cook is not smoked. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    luckyboy said:
    I purchased my KAB about a month ago but haven't used it yet.
    Why not? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    HighQue here on my large and small.  Love them and wouldn't switch for nothin because this is what I have experience with.  

To the guys that have KAB, I'm curious as to how the basket keeps the ash from plugging the holes in the firebox.  In my head ash is gonna drop regardless if it is encompassed in a wire cage or not.  What keeps it from plugging the holes?
    It keeps the smaller pieces of lump away from the walls of the firebox. I have nothing against the hi q or fishbones, I sell the fishbones, but the basket is everything those are plus more, Period. People don't need to take it personally. I do not understand the negative comments by those who don't have it????
    Nothin personal but more so questions I have that has kept me from buying it for my eggs.  Thanks for the explanation. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Love my KAB, if I lost it tomorrow I would order another one the same day. 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I use the HiQue on my medium, it was a revelation. Made temp adjust, and control easy, and fast, and accurate.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Fish Bones and High Q do what they are intended to do 100% but the basket will do more........ The basket is made of very thick stock and will take a lifetime to rust away. A stainless kick ash basket would certainly last longer! like 2 lifetimes and last time I checked I will only have one lifetime! Hoping for another healthy Big Green Egg Lifetime! :) 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    KAB has been a big improvement for my large. The price seemed a little high when I first saw them, but I'd buy one again if needed and plan to soon for my small. Makes cleaning a lot easier and I'm not constantly poking ash out of plugged side holes. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • RRP
    Options
    Tbent said:
    KAB has been a big improvement for my large....
    Washington, IL...welcome aboard from Dunlap, IL. Hope you stick around.
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Thanks, @RRP. You sent a gasket across the river for my large a couple of years ago. The OEM stock gasket is still in place on my small, but I'm sure I'll contact you sometime in the near future for that too. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • RRP
    Options
    Tbent said:
    Thanks, @RRP. You sent a gasket across the river for my large a couple of years ago. The OEM stock gasket is still in place on my small, but I'm sure I'll contact you sometime in the near future for that too. 
    I remembered that an hour after I posted this last night! I must be getting senile! LOL
  • Caymanite
    Options
    I have the hi-que grate for my small, didn't really notice a difference, going to order a KAB for both my small and large.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I installed my fishbones the other day and got my egg lit and at searing temp in record time. That's all I know! Matter of fact, I went inside to prepare the steaks. When I returned, the temp gauge had rounded the horn and was showing approx 250...
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg