Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA on XL BGE - Felt burnt/pealed off @ 550-575

Options
Evening all, so I've had the BGE for about 3 months now.  First pizza cook tonight, had an adjustable rig with the ceramic stone on the bottom then had the rig and pizza stone about 2-3 notches.  The dome did not get above 575 at any point, but when I opened it for the second time the felt came right off.  I'm assuming that that indirect stone on the bottom forced the heat around the sides (as it's supposed too), but unsure as to why the felt came off, it was definitely from the heat and I have had it higher than 575 before.  It was installed by Authorized BGE dealer.  THOUGHTS??
Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    My first pizza cook did the same, gave me an excuse to get a good gasket right here on the forum.
  • nutshellml
    Options
    BIll-W221 said:
    My first pizza cook did the same, gave me an excuse to get a good gasket right here on the forum.
    So what did you get? Brand? Cost? And if I may ask, why didn't you go back to dealer?
    Northern Jersey
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Got a Rutland gasket from RPP right here on the forum for $11. Much better than the felt that comes on the egg. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Felt is factory applied. How many lower temp cooks have you completed? We had a customer experience this issue recently. I haven't seen this happen often in the past. I've seen the gaskets get roached by high heat, but falling off is far more rare, in my experience. Hope this isn't a chronic QC issue. 
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Felt is factory applied. How many lower temp cooks have you completed? We had a customer experience this issue recently. I haven't seen this happen often in the past. I've seen the gaskets get roached by high heat, but falling off is far more rare, in my experience. Hope this isn't a chronic QC issue. 
    I've done about 5 low and slows, when i say felt came right off, I mean that it appeared to be from the heat and the front left, say 1/4, of the felt stuck to the top felt and i saw the "glue" or whatever bonding material they used.   
    Northern Jersey
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Not surprised at all.  Do not do what I did and wait a few years.  Place your order with @RRP  and cook assured for years and years to come.  I know I wish I did not wait......

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ,pgprescott said:
    I've done about 5 low and slows, when i say felt came right off, I mean that it appeared to be from the heat and the front left, say 1/4, of the felt stuck to the top felt and i saw the "glue" or whatever bonding material they used.   
    This should not happen as you describe it. You say the bottom gasket came up and peeled off the ceramic base? I hope they didn't get a  batch of bad adhesive. 
  • nutshellml
    Options
    This should not happen as you describe it. You say the bottom gasket came up and peeled off the ceramic base? I hope they didn't get a  batch of bad adhesive. 
    Yes, the bottom gasket came of the base, see attached photos.  I just read up on the Rutland gasket, seems a lot better quality, but I also read the Nakedwhiz instructions, while I am handy, it seems like it may be a pain and not that easy.  My initial thought would be to call Chef Central and hope they can come and fix it, then if it happens again down the road, I will switch.  Just worried that I may mess something up w/ the Rutland gasket.
    Northern Jersey
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I believe the felt is installed before the egg is boxed, nit by the dealer. Or at least that is the way mine came in the box.

I took the felt off as soon as I opened the box. Ordered a Rutland gasket from @RRP and have been happy with it. I think it was $11 shipped and then had to buy a $3 tube of gasket sealer to install it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks like the gasket is pulling away clean.
    Getting the old gasket off is the hardest part of replacement. You are now ahead of the game.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Gasket should be free of charge from the dealer on an Egg less than 1 yr old. However, I'd agree on going to a Rutland and be done with it. PM @RRP and he'll get you going. FWIW the factory gasket has always been a weak link imho especially on high heat cooks. Oddly enough the temps you were running wouldn't be considered high heat by any standard. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Agree with all the others here.  Just get a gasket from @RRP and be done with it.  TBH I removed the factory gasket and put on the rutland before I even cooked on my egg the first time. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I didn't find it hard to get the gasket off. I used a pumice stone. Came off fast and safe for the egg.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    +1 on the Rutland from @RRP
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • annjamaican
    Options
    My first cook was pizza at 650 or greater. Felt is still in place. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    RRP also gives very detailed instructions on how to install the Rutland! I highly recommend you go through him. 
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Get a rutland and be done  @RRP can hook you up
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Go Rutland and get your dealer to throw you a bone in lieu of a new gasket. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• nutshellml
    Options
    Done, Rutland purchased - just as FYI, dealer said it wasn't their issue since it's the felt, even when I pushed and said, "but it's 3 months old".  They said to call BGE, BGE was great nad are sending a gasket, but still going with the Rutland.
    Northern Jersey
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Get a six pack of beer. The job will take about 1 beer to complete then you can just kick back and enjoy the other 5. No worries if you aren't handy. If you can get tooth paste on your brush you should be all set. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 22
    Options
    My gasket also separated in a couple of parts on my first pizza cook but it was due to the fact that some cheese fell in the gasket and glued top and bottom together and when I opened the egg... well, you know.

I bought some Rutland Stove Gasket Cement and everything is fine and dandy again.