Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Purchase of a new pickup - OT

Options
It's time to replace my beloved 2001 Tahoe with 235,000 miles. It still runs great but I hesitate when it's time to do more than my daily commute, I get a little nervous driving 3 or 4 hours away from home with that many miles on it. I'm asking for any real world experience that you may have had out of the 2015 Ford F150. I'm looking at the SuperCrew, 4 X 4, with the 2.7 liter V6. This might spark as many different points of view as politics and lump charcoal but if you have any advice or different recommendations please let me hear from you.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Looks like you got good service out of your Chevrolet, I'd stick with that. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Car and Driver did a review of all the new high end full size pickups and the F150 came out on top.  Tundra last.  These trucks are in the 60k range.  I like the engine and aluminum body of the Ford.
    I have the 2014 F-150 4x4 Lariat with eco boost.  Absolutely love it.  I wont buy anything else.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I have a 2014 f150 crew cab lariat.  Had a small accident so took it to the dealer for repairs.  Got to talking with the body shop guy and he said, it will be interesting to see how the repairs go on the aluminum bodies.   He did not sell me on the idea being a good one.  My chevy tech for our box truck said the ford dealers need to buy new tools to work on the style.  He said and ford body man reluctantly confirmed, not all ford dealers are stepping up to get the new equipment, so getting work done may be a little cumbersome with small town dealers.   

Kinda like most things, first ones in usually are the test dummies for ones later on down the road...........

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I had an aluminum car and there are some considerations on working on the body and frame.  You have to used specialized fasteners or you can create "batteries" and corrode the body.  Otherwise they are very corrosion resistant.
    The reviews and the fuel mileage out of the 2.7 liter are what have swayed me that direction.  I test drove one and was really impressed with the power out of the V6.  I'm concerned about the body work as well, I'm guessing others are as too that is why Ford has starting offering such large incentives.  I'm starting the haggling price and have forgotten what a pain in the a$$ it is since I haven't bought a new car in so long.  Thanks for discussion so far.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a 2011 F150 Super Crew 4x4 and love it.  I have the 5.0 and it is fun to drive as well, but I have driven 2015 with the ECO Boost and it blows the 5.0 away of course.  I got mine in January of 2012 and have almost 60,000 and no problems so far.  As for the aluminium body, the hood on the F150 has been aluminium since the last body change and I think the tailgate maybe too.  It's 700 pounds light and with a twin turbo V6 it is a lot of fun to drive.  I don't think you could go wrong with a new one. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I have 2011 f-150 screw with the 3.5 eco.

I love the engine but mileage isn't quite what they advertise, especially if you drive faster than 65.  It has plenty of power to tow, but mileage drops way off when towing.  However, the power and acceleration is fantastic.  My advice with a ford would be to negotiate for the ford blue oval extended warranty, not a 3rd party one.  I also have a friend with the 2.7 eco and he loves it.

As for the aluminum body, a neighbor of mine runs three autobody shops and he said they had to make a significant investment in retooling to deal with the aluminum and so they haven't done so at all shops, but expects that will just be a matter of time.  I would think this is the case with most shops
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I have the f-150, 4x4, crew cab, v-6 ecoboost. I purchased a xlt....just missing the leather which I didn't want. Loaded. The truck is unbelievable. The sport mode with twin turbo is quick and tow mode pulls well. 16 around town, 21 highway but I'm an aggressive driver. I've always had white but love the tuxedo black. The back seat area is bigger than a 250 It's unreal how big it is. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    I have a 2014 Supercrew FX4 Ecoboost and its great. I've put 35k miles on it in under 2 years with 0 issues. MPG has averaged out about 17, which I think is really good for a big truck. My dad has the 5.0 and loves it, gets a little less MPG, and my brother just bought a new Silverado and has no complaints.

On a side note, I know a family friend who does metallurgy R&D for chevy and he is not a big fan of the aluminum body idea. Granted he obviously is a bit biased, but some of the problems he mentioned about an aluminum body/steel frame include; corrosion issues, durability problems, and repair difficulties. With that said, I still would buy another Ford in a heartbeat. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I'm another F150 XLT Supercrew with Ecoboost owner.  I absolutely love the truck!  Best vehicle purchase I've ever made, and I've made a bunch!  I average 19.4 MPG in heavy stop and go traffic in Los Angeles. 
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • henapple
    Options
  • Legume
    Options
    Agree with @henapple on the backseat.  I've had three grown kids back there for a 12 hour drive without loss of life, limb or sanity.
  • henapple
    Options
    You can make love in that area. I'm dying to try it with someone other than myself. 
  • Legume
    Options
    henapple said:
    You can make love in that area. I'm dying to try it with someone other than myself. 
    Maybe should've gotten the leather.
  • Mbry8381
    Options
    I have a 2015 XLT Super Crew 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Only had it for a few months but love it. I'm 6'3" and after I got the front seat set where I like it I got in the back and my legs didn't touch the front seat.  I averaged 23mpg going to the beach shortly after I got it. 
    XL, Chesterfield VA
  • littlerascal56
    Options

Just test drove one myself. Awesome power from that engine.  We purchased a bunch of these to replace our GMC pickups in our utility fleet and are very happy with them.  I am buying one for my personal vehicle, and most Midwest dealers are discounting the XLT w/2.7 Eco $12K off retail sticker.  My Ford fleet rep said Ford is behind GM for sales this year (due to re-tooling 2 factories for aluminum body), so he thinks the incentives might get better in November and December.  Ford said they would do what it takes to stay #1 in the sales market.  Might want to wait another few weeks to see what deals pop up!

• henapple
    Options
    Legume said:
    henapple said:
    I've got the WeatherTech mats. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    henapple said:
    Legume said:
    henapple said:
    I've got the WeatherTech mats. 
    Ewwwwww!
    Options
    Just use a towel..... Or a sock. 
  • AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    I am looking at a used 2009 Chevy 2500HD duramax diesel. A good hunk of miles on it but it will be only a weekend driver. Anyone like the duramax over the powerstroke? 
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    All ford dealerships with a bodyshop will soon have to be setup to work on them. It's not a option.  they're just giving them a little time. I would see if I could find a demo or loaner. The dealerships I work for always have them. With only 3k they're still bran new. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but being around snow and salting the roads, Ford put the fuse box above the radiator and will get salt from the road spray.
    I bought a new Tundra.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Does the 2.7 have the GUTS?    
    My brother just bought the Dodge 3.0 Diesel and LOVES it.  
    He also owns a 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser with the Hino Diesel.   NOT available in the USA at that time.  The local truck stop has or can get MOST parts including filters, which are critical to diesel health.

The Ford with up to 600 or 700lb in weight savings by going to aluminum is quite a chance.   I hope body shops can service these properly.

I like the idea of a weekend rental floated by Texas, above.  

Both GM and Ford have changed engines a lot over the last decade+ so I'm not current.    I know even the Cummins has changed.    
    Toyota and maybe others are negotiating with Cummins to use a NEW V-8 intended for light truck use.   NICE.
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    I have a 2014 Limited 4x4 with the 3.5 Eco Boost and love it. I'm not to sure on that smaller one having enough power, isn't the 5.0 rated higher in torque and hp? Also I wouldn't get hung up on the fuel mileage rating, mine gets no where near the rating on the window sticker but then again its a truck. If I wanted good gas mileage I would have bought an econocar...
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    My 2014 F150 4x4 with twin hair dryers gets 16 real world mpg. I drive 80 hi way miles every day. And I like it. Next will be a 2016 or 2017. Which ever comes with the new Ford Touch system. The current Microsoft is a POS!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I just bought this truck about 2 months ago.

had a ford before, and will never go back
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    If I had your money Uncle Apple I would buy 3 of them ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    My wife drives a 2015 F150. 3.5liter. She loves it!
    GWN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Chevy the only way to go....  There is not a truck or suv that rides better... And the seats are hands down more comfortable....  But I'm a Chevy man.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"