Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven

Options
Putting one of these on my wish list for Christmas.   Never cooked anything in a dutch oven.   I had been looking at a 5qt, but just spotted a good deal on 7qt on Amazon.    Maybe a dumb question, but for "normal" usage,  is it better to get the 7 or just stick with the 5?   
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Thanks man.  Is that a large it's sitting in?

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    +1 on the 7

I've got the 5, and wish I had the 7
    Phoenix 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Thanks man.  Is that a large it's sitting in?
    Yep. 7 quart on a large The lid for the 7 also fits the CI Skillet. 

Don't wait until Christmas. Too many great Fall/Cool weather things to cook! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have a 9 for the large and a 7 for the med.  If you have a large BGE I would get the 9 as you might have company and wanna make a large  pot of chili or gumbo.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I have a 9 for the large and a 7 for the med.  If you have a large BGE I would get the 9 as you might have company and wanna make a large  pot of chili or gumbo.
    Gumbo and jambalaya is actually what I have in mind right out of the gate.   I also make a chicken stew every winter, which up until now has been in a huge pot on the stove but thinking I'd move that out to the KJ.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Just like a garage..you can't go wrong with bigger
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Get them both. One for the main course and one for dessert.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    For tomato based or acidic cooks the enameled ones are a better choice. The seasoning on regular CI can go South pretty quickly when the acidic liquid works on it under heat. I presently have a regular CI 5 qt. Double Dutch (I like that the lid is usable as a skillet for smaller cooks) and a 17" skillet also regular CI for searing steaks and burgers. I have been looking at the 7 or 9 qt. enameled versions for chili and other soups. TJMaxx has had the Le Creuset available recently but I don't want to spend quite that much to put on an open fire and possibly crack the coating so have been watching other brands.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I recently got the 5 double Dutch and it is quite a bit smaller than I was expecting, I would go 7 at a minimum 
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Gumbo and jambalaya is actually what I have in mind right out of the gate.   I also make a chicken stew every winter, which up until now has been in a huge pot on the stove but thinking I'd move that out to the KJ.
    Turkey Gumbo:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=753778&catid=1

Turkey, Ham, Sausage:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=997414&catid=1

Sausage:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1348396&catid=1

Sometimes I use shrimp, oysters, fish, but usually reserve the seafood for a jambalaya.

Now you see why I recommend a 9 qt.  Lots of leftovers for later.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions.   In doing some more reading throughout the forum, I've learned that I need enameled for high acidity (chili, etc).   Yet I've seen pics of chili being cooked in regular CI.    Sounding like I may need one of each :)   Or can one reasonably get by with a regular even for chili/tomato based?

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,119
    Options
    I have made chili in my CI plenty of times, I usually use mine for the last part of a pork butt.    But that was before I had the LGBE so I was going as far as I could on a Weber and then finish in the DO.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Richard Fl
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions.   In doing some more reading throughout the forum, I've learned that I need enameled for high acidity (chili, etc).   Yet I've seen pics of chili being cooked in regular CI.    Sounding like I may need one of each :)   Or can one reasonably get by with a regular even for chili/tomato based?
    I have been doing chili, pasta sauce and a few other acidic dishes over 40 years and as long as I don't store the acid in the pot for several days no problem long before enameled.  A good pot picks up a patina that is like enamel over the years. Ask the pilgrams!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I make chili in mine all the time. No big deal. When you transfer it after the cook, wash it right away and apply a little oil. You will be fine.

@clemsontyger97 Ha was it you that was asking about SC Hash a while back?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,236
    Options
    That sounds killer @TigerTony

Thanks for sharing 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I have an 8 and a five, been thinking of gifting the 8, seldom gets used. Most of my cooks are smaller, hence the use of the five. The lid also is a skillet. 
    Depends on what you will be cooking, bigger is not always better if it always only 1/2 full. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • clemsontyger97
    Options

I make chili in mine all the time. No big deal. When you transfer it after the cook, wash it right away and apply a little oil. You will be fine.

@clemsontyger97 Ha was it you that was asking about SC Hash a while back?
    Yes sir, that was me.   My parents drive over from SC every few months and I always forget to tell them to bring me a quart or two, even after finally learning what goes into it!  :)

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    +1 on the 7 but both is best
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I read an America's Test Kitchen review regarding dutch ovens recently and they made note of an uncoated one giving a metallic taste to French fries they cooked. They were of the opinion that the seasoning had failed during one of their test cooks previous to the deep frying. If the metal can impart a flavor to the cooked food, it would seem the best choice for certain recipes would be the enameled version. Their winner was the 7 1/4 quart Le Creuset and the best buy was the enameled Lodge but I do not recall the size but am making the assumption it would be close to the same volume. Just FYI.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options

Yes sir, that was me.   My parents drive over from SC every few months and I always forget to tell them to bring me a quart or two, even after finally learning what goes into it!  :)
    @clemsontyger97 I sent you a Personal Message (PM). Thought I would spell that out for you knowing your allegiance. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I read an America's Test Kitchen review regarding dutch ovens recently and they made note of an uncoated one giving a metallic taste to French fries they cooked. They were of the opinion that the seasoning had failed during one of their test cooks previous to the deep frying. 

In my opinion, one of the greatest uses of a dutch oven is as a deep fryer (when paired with an induction burner).  When doing pickles, onion rings, chicken, or fries I have never experienced a metallic taste.  

Maybe they are correct and the coating had been compromised in a previous cook.  I've never cooked tomato based dishes in my CI, nor have I washed it with soap.  Many will say that either is ok.  I have 30+ pieces of CI and have never had to re-season anything yet.
    Phoenix 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I got the 7, then later I bought a 5 and after that I bought a chicken fryer.  If you have to have just one, get the 7, assuming it will fit in your cooker.  I have a large BGE. 
    Dave - Austin, TX