Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why my Egg is better than Mrs. TJ's oven

Options
My LBGE:  once temp is stable, I can hold it at 325 degrees (or pick any other temp within the range of her oven) for 24 hours plus (my longest is 29 hours at 225). No matter the weather, It may fluctuate +/- 5-25 degrees over the length of the cook.  
I can achieve temps of over 1000 if desired for pizza or searing. 
I can sit outside enjoying the weather while the Egg cooks. The patio temp doesn't go up due to the Egg being lit. 
No food smell throughout the house (this can be good or bad). 
Smoke is not an issue. 
Lifetime warranty on ceramics. 
Anything she can do I can do better, except for some baking. 

Her oven (That big stainless steel box that holds up the kitchen clock) uses electricity. It is easy to start. 
Limited to a max of 550 degrees. 
Cost over twice what I paid for my LBGE. 
Inconsistent heat with big fluctuations in temp.  We had a repair guy in today who said it was normal for an oven to fluctuate 80-100+ degrees as it cycles on and off. Read that again - NORMAL TEMP FLUCTUATION FOR AN OVEN, EVEN A HIGH END ONE,  IS OVER 100 degrees!!!!!!  Don't believe it?  Use your Maverick or other probe and watch the roller coaster temp. 
The kitchen gets hot when it's on.   Smoke can be a major problem. 
1 year warranty. 
Cost twice as much as a large Egg. 
Many parts to fail (currently replacing heating element and temp sensor - everything she baked burned)
the clock is always off by 5 minutes or so. 
Is there an electric oven forum?

i think I will stick with the Egg. 

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You make a solid case....   Lol
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yep!  Residential oven temp fluctuation is crazy!  Proved it with my Fluke one day. Commercial whole different story. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The logic is strong with this one.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Strong logic but may be short on relationship bonding...But if that is a secondary deal then just present the facts, and get used to the couch :).  BTW- I whole-heartedly agree.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    My oven hasn't worked properly in 4 years. No need for one when you have an egg!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Blasting has a brand new gas stove/oven he hasn't even run the pipe to. I think if I am right it is like 5 years since he has cooked inside but I could be wrong
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    +/- 80-100 degrees is insane!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Strong logic but may be short on relationship bonding...But if that is a secondary deal then just present the facts, and get used to the couch :).  BTW- I whole-heartedly agree.
    No problem there - she is more ticked at the oven than at me.  Always a great baker, and in the last few weeks everything is burning.  Hopefully the repairman can make her happy.
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    Anything she bakes in the oven can be made on the egg, only thing that could be a problem is possibly weather.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    lousubcap said:
    No problem there - she is more ticked at the oven than at me.  Always a great baker, and in the last few weeks everything is burning.  Hopefully the repairman can make her happy.
    Oh, be a sweet heart, and get her this.

You might even be tempted to use it yourself every now and then. ;)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Preachin this for years. Egg is rock steady. An electric oven maintains an average by cycling the element on and off

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    The only time I like the oven more is during the winter to heat the house while I cook.