Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long For Stuffed Pork Loin?

Options
So I went to Costco today to pick up a couple of pork shoulders for a get together tomorrow evening (Wednesday). I was hoping for a couple of smaller shoulders (4 lb) so I could bag one of them in vac packages and save for later. Unfortunately, all they had were 7 lb shoulders and I couldn't think of the next time I would use the 2nd shoulder so it would sit in the freezer for a long time. Tomorrow, there's only 5 adults plus little kids who likely won't eat what I bring.

Then I looked over and saw a 7 lb pork loin. I could cut that in half and do 2 smaller loins on the egg. So I got that and brought it home. Then I started searching the forum for cooks and saw all the pictures of stuffed pork loin and that sounds really good. I see a lot of prep pics with ingredients, cook pics, and finished pics, but I don't see any with how long it took to cook.

I do not have any kind of raised rack setup yet. I have the green egg plate setter and stock grate. So I guess I will be doing an indirect cook. I know from the other threads that I really want to end up at 140 degrees, but I have no clue how long it will take to cook. I'd like to have it ready by around 6 pm and I have plenty of time before that to cook. I just have to transport it 2 miles down the road. I guess finishing early is OK, I can put them in a cooler for a little while. SO what's a good rule of thumb to follow for a stuffed pork loin? I can weigh it before cooking if I should go by weight.
Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    How hot ya gonna cook it?
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    How hot should it be cooked? Was guessing 300 dome for around 2 to 2.5 hours. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here are a few thoughts:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=457044&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1170242&catid=1

I like to make bacon wraps on my stuffed ones now. Also if using a cheese that will melt, place the opening of the loin up so it will not run out as much.  Eggjoy!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Here's a link that covers a basic stuffed loin along with approximate cook time:
    http://www.bubbatim.com/Pork_Cooks.php Change it up as you like and enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i cook them around 400/425 and about an hour, i like a little charring on pork so maybe a little time direct then finish indirect. its hard to get an accurate internal temp reading with a stuffed loin but i shoot for 135/137. i would NOT cooler it as it just keeps it cooking, light wrap of foil sitting in a container or open cooler would be better for the short trip.  because of the shape of a loin, full loin, half loin, quarter loin all cook in about the same time frame
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toxarch
    Options
    I might have overstuffed the loin a little. I have a feeling I might have to clean the grill a little after this cook. Prep took a little longer than expected so I'm cooking at 350.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looking forward to the finished pictures.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Toxarch
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So I ended up cooking them at 350 grate temp. The dome probe (electric one) was off and I guess I need to calibrate it. The longer skinnier one in the back took about 1 hour to cook and the fat one in the front took about 1 hour 10 minutes. I might have overstuffed them a little bit, but it was all good in the end and tasted great.
    Stuffed it with cream cheese, colby jack, sauteed onions, mushrooms, red bell pepper, fresh spinach, provalone, pepperoni, and hard salami. Added a little Yardbird on the outside. Everyone loved it. I added diced sauteed jalapenos in the other one and gave that to my dad.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Toxarch
    Options
    Oh yeah, I pulled at 138 degrees in the center.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Looks and sounds fantastic! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good!

IMO there's really no difference in cooking stuffed vs unstuffed unless your stuffing has higher temperature requirements than the roast for safety reasons.  An example would be stuffing pork loin with bear meat, which is notoriously contaminated with trichinosis. 

Obviously something stuffed will have more mass and will have a longer cook time.
    Options
    bear meat, 
    One of my very favorites ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look delicious.  I don't think you overstuffed them...I think they look perfect. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I always have a hard time butterflying a loin. Do yall have any tips and tricks?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    No expert with a knife here, but a sharp blade and taking your time will get it done for me.  I will peel the loin back as I go in an attempt to keep to a uniform thickness.  Then lay it out flat and give it a few hits with a rubber mallet where needed to even out the thickness.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    fillet knife parallel with cutting board half inch or so up and try to unroll the loin. then cover with syran wrap flat and hit it flat with a ci fry pan
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I found this video pretty helpful for the "cut and unroll" method.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jVuC60Z3xw

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Toxarch
    Options
    For cutting, I used a sharp boning knife. If it's not sharp, take the time to sharpen it first. I did it similar to that video, but I chose to trim the top first to get rid of some of the silver skin and then I did deeper cuts. I was almost laying the handle on the board to get the blade parallel to the board. I thought about taking a mallet to mine but it came out pretty nice with just the knife so I left it alone.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Here is what I did back for a fathers day dinner for my father in law.  I cooked them around 350 to 400 indirect and the pork was 140 and then pulled to rest.  The sausage one was fantastic.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183453/late-fathers-day-dinner#latest

Don't just cut it in half, try to cut it as you unroll it.  I also put a piece of plastic wrap over it and pound on it a few times to make it a little thinner and tenderize it.  Stuff it with ever you like.  My sausage one was like a sausage meatloaf rolled up inside the pork loin.  Go by temp, I would start checking it after about 30 minutes and judge from there.  I need to do this again sometime.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.