Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer possibly an Elk

Options
Neighbor or bought a tag to hunt in Idaho. If we understood his wife it allows Deer and Elk. His wife, Taylor,  recently had a pacemaker installed.  My wife,  Ernestina,  has been helping her out. Jim is,planning on giving us some meat. Neither one of us is big on game meat. Last Venison Jim gave us we passed on to a neighbor.  Any suggestions on how to cook this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Brine solution will help pull the gamey-ness out of the meat, as well as cutting it thin.  If it's burger mix with pork or ground beef, and season it well.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    depends on what part it is. If it's the backstrap, I love to wrap in bacon with a sliver of jalapeno or butterfly it and chicken fry it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    cross your fingers for an elk, its alot milder for my tastes. he is going to want the backstrap off the deer, unfortunately thats the piece you want as the gamey flavor is not as pronounced.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    If doing a roast try soaking it in Coke before cooking. Helps remove the game taste also. How long are you leaving it hang? Makes a huge difference in flavor also.

1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I find that hickory smoke covers a lot of the gamey taste up and some dizzy pig game on. Cooking it whole like a roast or slicing for steaks is always good. It was good enough we told my wife's sister that it was beef. She still doesn't know and hasn't questioned it.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If doing a roast try soaking it in Coke before cooking. Helps remove the game taste also. How long are you leaving it hang? Makes a huge difference in flavor also.

Couldn't agree more here Lar.  Region(diet), where it was shot, time down/tracking, field dressing, aging, processing, all make a huge difference with end product from field to table.  One buddy just takes his deer to the local "deer processor" for lack of interest/convenience/laziness, then b!tches when he gets deer hairs and tough fat in his grind.  Cousin, brother, age their deer, depending on age from a few days to a week......I'm grateful to be taught the right way.  

My brother got a doe first day of archery season Oct 1.  Removing the silverskin, fat, and even the lymph node in the legs are important.  Most don't know, or take the time.  It took us several hours to do this in two steps.  Not soaking the meat in ice water after processing, using a torch as needed to singe hair, minimal water.  During the warmer early season we quartered and put in rubbermaid tubs in the beer fridge.  Steaked up a backstrap Monday night, seasoned with salt and pepper, grilled for a min per side to rare/med rare.  Wish I had the camera, it was epic.   

The overpowering marinades, rubs, injectons, etc etc are all unnecessary and a complete waste, when done right.  And I actually prefer wild venison over beef following these techniques.  But then again, I'd take a proper Berkwood pork chop over beef too.  
    Here, deer loins and backstraps are kept whole, and intact.  Everything else gets run through the grinder.  Unless you can confirm you have a loin or backstrap, I would suggest grinding it to use for various dishes.   

So many don't have a clue about processing and preparation for the table.  Then complain about the "gaminess", and give it away to family, friends, neighbors.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."