Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I get my LBGE into my new table?

Options
A31unit
A31unit Posts: 199
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
My father built me a naked wiz style table for my Large Egg.  He's gonna bring it over on Friday and I need some real wisdom from the forum here.  I'm gonna need to get it from the roll around nest into the table and onto a table nest I bought. Preferably without breaking it. Thanks
LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Options
    Take it apart, pull the lid off, take all the guts out, then lift it into the hole by grabbing/pinching it around the top and lower it into the hole, then reasseble.  May need to stand on the table depending on how verticaly challenged you are.  Easy enough for one person, I lifted a large in and out probably 10 times trying to get the height correct. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would take all the guts out and call a neighbor over. 2 people can do it easily.
  • Jcnewegg
    Options
    I just did this with mine! I have a bad back and needed a nice easy solution!! Ratchet straps and a 2x4 made it easy! Take all the guts out, run a ratchet strap through the cap out the bottom air vent and strap it down so the lid can't open. Place the 2x4 on top balanced on the top air vent. Take another ratchet strap go around the hinge on the back and around the 2x4 and then another strap on the front handle and 2x4. Now just get a person to help and lift each side up and over and into the hole. It was very easy but I don't know if I have explained it well enough. If you think this is something you want to try I will mock it up again and post a picture of it. I stressed this aspect the whole time I was building my table and ended up being the easiest part of it all.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Flip the egg upside down. Place the table on top of the egg. Flip the whole thing over.

Actually don't do that, see the above reasonable suggestions.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • A31unit
    Options
    @dmw I knew it was gonna be easy. 
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • A31unit
    Options
    There will be 2 of us. I figured on taking the guts out to lighten the load. I am really hoping to do it without removing the lid.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Two of you can easily lift it with it emptyh.  My wife and I did it with my XL.  Just grab the rear hinges with one person, and the other need to lift thru the lower door vent.  Exchange hands as you go thru the hole in the table, and let is settle into the table nest.  EASY.
  • A31unit
    Options
    @dmw. What kind of glue do you use on the bottom of the egg to get it to stick to the second shelf?  I'm afraid that when I try to flip the table back over the egg will not follow
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    A31unit said:
    @dmw. What kind of glue do you use on the bottom of the egg to get it to stick to the second shelf?  I'm afraid that when I try to flip the table back over the egg will not follow

Use a glue stick.
    NOLA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Just use a couple of 3m sticky notes that will hold it in place.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Put some cardboard or carpet around the hole as you lower it in, it helps
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    +1 on pot lifter
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ya'll are all wrong. What you need is some skyhooks. It will be a breeze.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Padre_Jorge
    Padre_Jorge Posts: 24
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm getting ready to do the same transfer. I called local dealer and they will put it in the table for $95.00. Do y'all think it's worth the cost to insure against breakage?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm getting ready to do the same transfer. I called local dealer and they will put it in the table for $95.00. Do y'all think it's worth the cost to insure against breakage?
    I would just lend you my pot lifters. I will put eggs in tables all day for a "C" note. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    A large emptied out is not that heavy. My 115lb wife and I have put an xl in a table.
  • Jcnewegg
    Options
    I wouldn't pay that much especially since I just did mine. I was stressed out through my whole build and when I finally figured out how to do it and succeeded it was the easiest part of my whole build

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Whatever you do,  don't lift it by the hinge please. Potlifter  is the easiest way to do this,  if you can get one by the weekend.  Amazon has them. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • A31unit
    Options
    caliking said:
    Whatever you do,  don't lift it by the hinge please. Potlifter  is the easiest way to do this,  if you can get one by the weekend.  Amazon has them. 
    Please explain why not to lift from the hinge on one side?  Several reviews point toward doing it that way and I was planning on doing this.  Thanks
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Even my Kamado Joe instructions said for one person to lift from the hinges, and other use the front bottom hole for a handhole.  I assembled many KJ's this way to set in their nest.  Those are the strongest points on a ceramic.  Just grab the hinge on your egg, and have your wife grab the opening up front.  Sit in your table (transfer hands on front) and it's no big deal!  Don't spend money for a dealer to do it..it's a 20 second job!
  • Padre_Jorge
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.   
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    I did mine disassembled.  I grabbed the bottom with 1 hand inside the egg holding on the bottom vent and the other hand wrapped around the outside.  I lifted the bottom up and placed over/just into the hole cut out from the table.  I lowered as far as I could while my buddy held/braced from the bottom.  I released my outer hand as I continued to lower holding on to the bottom vent.  
    Once we got it sat down and centered, I assembled the egg again.  Easy - Peasy.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    No hinges....  If the bands slip and could come off at worst, or should shift and throw the dome alignment off. 

Grab by the lower door and heft away.

I like the straps and the 2x4 idea....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if those bands slip the eggs crashing down and who knows if those bands were tightened correctly. also, that lower vent sheet metal is sharp, wear a glove. you can also play it safe and stack something on the lower shelf, drop it in half way, then lower it the rest of the way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    This is great info.  I'm getting ready to build a table and was stressing over the move.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • A31unit
    Options
    I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Gonna try to figure something out. Don't have a potlifter and this thing is going in tomorrow
  • A31unit
    Options
    Everything worked out great. It was all too easy for my father and I to get it in the table. I am gonna post some pics in a new thread. Thanks all for your assistance.