Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brats

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I feel like doing brats today. Anyone got tips on what I should look for when I go buy'em. Anyone got tips on how to cook'em on the egg.[p]thanks

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    char buddy ,[p] If you can get them from a good butcher, do so. Saw a blurb in the Washington Post a couple weeks back about a place near me that sells some fresh German sausage. Need to check it out. As for cooking them, I like to do them at about 300F, putting a bunch of soaked apple chips on the fire when I begin. Cooking time is usually somewhere from 30-45 minutes. I usually crank up the heat right at the end to crisp them a little better. If I cook them on the small BGE, they usually crisp up without help due to the closer proximity to the coals. On the large BGE, the skin sometimes stays a bit rubbery if I don't raise the temp at the end. Some people like to boil them in beer first, but I prefer to just throw 'em on the grill.[p]MikeO
  • char buddy
    Options
    MikeO,[p]thanks for the tips MikeO. I just got back from the store with my brats for tonight. This will be a first.

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    char buddy ,
    For faster cooking, slice the brats length-wise and flatten them on the grill.
    Fireball

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    char buddy , brats are wonderful just cooked plain for about 30-45 minutes at 350. Do NOT slice or cut them. Part of the flavor is from the meat cooking in its own juice within the skin. Also, if you are adventureous, I have an excellent recipe for Bratwurst in Beer Sauce which I usually cook for a church group each October. I haven't tried it on the BGE yet but plan to do so soon. Send me an eMail if you want the recipe. Basically you brown 4-6 floured brats in butter, pull them out, pour in a can of dark beer, add about a cup of ginger snaps, a TBS of lemon juice, about 2TBS of chopped onions and about 2TBS of beef broth. Stir until boiling then add the brats back in and cook at 350 for about an hour. They're just fall-down good.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    char buddy, check out the link - posts about brats from the past by C~W and KennyG - good luck :~}

[ul][li]Brats[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Wise One,
    The brats you cooked at eggfest were great,Mrs.Dogs mustard even made them better.
    Larry