Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iDevices iGrill2

Options
2»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,538
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Lit said:
    @pgprescott thanks looks interesting. Does anyone know if I need to buy an ambient probe or can I just use the ones that come within to monitor pit temp?
    Although I do not have one, I gave my friend who does a tip from this forum - to just shove one of the food probes through a lemon and set it on the grate for ambient.  He did and said it worked fine.
    Amazon calls up a metal clip for the probe too when you look at this thing; not to mention I could just use the clip that came with my Maverick.  
    Adding the price of an iThingie, and now an Apple Watch, to a $65 iGrill, well this is just like accessorizing a damn motorcycle!   :o=)

EDIT:  oh yeah, sticking it through a lemon leaves you with a grilled lemon to squeeze onto your dinner, bonus!  

"There is no underwear in Space"    - Carrie Fisher

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I use one of the probes that came with the iGrill2 to monitor dome temps.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    I use one of the probes that came with the iGrill2 to monitor dome temps.

I use an ambient for that. Only difference is the ambient reacts quicker to temp changes and is rated for higher temp
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    I didn't purchase the optional ambient probe, so I use the meat probe. The temp range is the same for the two probes (max measurement of 572º, safe from damage up to 620º). I don't need quick readings for the dome thermometer so the meat probe works for me.  I will get one of the ambient probes one of these days.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I ordered an ambient I will test them side by side in the pit and report back any differences. 
  • Lit
    Options
    I got mine. Haven't had a chance to test it in a smoker yet but the ambient and regular probes reacted almost exactly the same indoors. They stayed within a degree of each other. I can't say enough about the ease of use here it doesn't even come with instructions because it's so easy you don't need them. 
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Are the probes the same diameter?  Will it fit in the egg's dome temp hole like the meat probe does?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• D1105
    D1105 Posts: 60
    Options
    I just ordered this tonight and used the coupon code "BBQ25" to get $25 off.

Derick
    Chicago
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I ordered one and my range for the blue tooth isn't very good once I go into my house. Loses connection about 70 feet away sitting on my kitchen window seal. 
    I called I grill and they said test outside and if I get around 150 ft outside the unit is good. Once you go indoors it's not the device if you connection no matter how far. 
    I knew I wouldn't get 150 ft indoors but I was hoping it would hit 60 to 70 feet. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Mine worked indoors theough 3 walls but I was only around 40' away. My house is only 40" deep front to back so I would have to go on the other side of the house to lose connection.