Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - An experience at Costco and Cutco knives

Options
I have been looking for a pairing knife to go along with my Shun.  I was wanting to get over to Sur La Table to try the Shun paring knife out, but just never got around to it.  In the mean time I had received positive feedback from folks loving their Cutco knives.  Had that in my back pocket for a while.  

Head over to Costco last week and there happens to be a Cutco demo booth/table set-up.  I tell my wife, "hey, I want to go over there and check out those knives".  So we did.  

Getting there, an older couple was talking to the rep.  They expressed that they loved their 25+ year Cutco set that they have.  The rep just boldly says "fan-freaking-tastic".  The two looked at each other oddly, but signed a paper the guy wanted them to sign for existing customers.  They left right after that.  It was my turn then....

I start off by telling the guy I wasn't looking for a "set", but for a single knife.  He said "a set"?  And the pointed towards the 10+ block set of knives and said, that's not a "set", this is a "set", which he had a box of three in.  At that point my brow grimmised.  His tone was belittling.  I said, well, still I'm not interested in a "set" then.  I would like to buy one paring knife.  He said "well, I have nothing for you then".  At that point I was like "damn man".  Point me somewhere that I could buy a single, not just "Oh well, you're SOL".  

Somewhere in there I said I just wanted something to peel items with and cut small items.  I started peeling a potato with the paring knife and said, well that's not really the knife for that.  I said, "it isn't".  He then wanted me to try a larger 6" chef knife.  I told him, again, that I wanted a pairing knife for peeling and etc.  

Again, his tone to all this was like I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.  It's very rare that I get bent out of shape about things like this, but I did.  I wanted to choke him.  Just as I was leaving I told my wife, in a tone that he could hear, "let's get out of here, this guy's a prick, and obviously doesn't want to sell knives".  

Later on, I was still stewing.  I thought, They, Cutco needs to know about this.  I bet if they knew their brand was being represented in this way, they would not like it.  So, I tweeted to Cutco.  They reached out to me to find my story out and then proceeded to call the district manager of the area I was in.  They ensured me the problem would be fixed and not happen again.  As I stated to the representative at Cutco on the phone, the guy had a chance to sway a Shun guy to Cutco, and I left with a very bad taste in my mouth.  

Well, she got back with me after she spoke to the region manager and also offered me the paring knife I was eyeing, which happens to be their best seller.  I was floored and told her that was not what I was after by no means and she ensured me she didn't take it that way, but that was Cutco's way of saying thank you for bring this to our attention, and hopefully you'll look our way for your next purchase.  I thought that was pretty good service.  

The knife is a beauty and very ergonomic too.  It's not freakishly sharp, but still good enough to really do damage.  Made in the good ol U.S.of A too!  

I wanted to send them a thank you along with a picture I snapped of the knife.  Here is the knife.  If you ever get a chance to demo them, they are pretty nice knives.  

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    At least you didn't stab him.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    They aren't bad. I sharpened one for a neighbor recently that had chips and had only been honed never sharpened in 15 years. It was a 8" chef and felt good and the blade was sturdy. Got it nice and sharp again for him. Congrats on the score that great customer service.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hey Matt, we're knee deep into Cutco knives.  They're a good value and last a lifetime.  They can be sharpened up better than the factory delivers and hold an edge for a reasonable period of time.  I've always found the factory reps to be extra polite and helpful ... almost too helpful.  Sorry you stumbled upon the one odd ball rep.

Also, glad you took the time to tell the factory.  For everyone who complains, about 20 other folks simply walk away and never go back.  Good companies listen to honest, factual complains and act on them.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Looks like I've picked up an echo ... just ignore this post ... driving up my post count though.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Maybe switch to decaf for a bit.
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    You should check out their dinner knives. We only have 4 but they are awesome. I also recomend the chef's knife.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hey Matt, we're knee deep into Cutco knives.  They're a good value and last a lifetime.  They can be sharpened up better than the factory delivers and hold an edge for a reasonable period of time.  I've always found the factory reps to be extra polite and helpful ... almost too helpful.  Sorry you stumbled upon the one odd ball rep.

Also, glad you took the time to tell the factory.  For everyone who complains, about 20 other folks simply walk away and never go back.  Good companies listen to honest, factual complains and act on them.
    In my business, many times you only have one chance to service the customer, and this is the same.  I knew this wasn't their brand.  I just didn't believe at their offer.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Report it to Costco as well. When I was working there we had a few companies with really obnoxious reps(they are supposed to sit there unless approached) that would act like those idiots at the mall that corner you into polishing your nails.

The absolute worse was a Traeger rep. This was a few years ago when I was just shopping there. He was walking around the gas grills and bothering people, along with waking up and down the aisle running his mouth. I went up to his display and trolled him by asking why you can't sear steaks and if you use sawdust pellets, why can't I just get some from the lumber yard for cheaper. He was not impressed. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Good story, and it sounds like they did their best to make it right - I respect that.

Doesn't sound like the sales guy was playing in the right position for himself, or the company.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Congrats on the free knife.

I'm not crazy about Cutco because they obviously spend a lot of money promoting their stuff as some secret panacea for the kitchen but mostly because they use 440A stainless steel.  Granted they do a good job hardening it, but it's the same ol' stuff that most (decent) kitchen knives are made of.

I really like Zhen - they use a VG-10 core, you can get the "Damascus" if you want it pretty and they're really a good value - not very expensive for what you get.
    Options
    Matt due to the money you saved on the knife, you can go back and load up on some "Prime" Rib eyes... :)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    We have had a set for 15 years or so, nice knives
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Good reminder that I need to get my Cutco knives sharpened. I've had them for over 20 years and have had pretty good experience with them. I'm terrible about sharpening my blades but getting better about it in middle age. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @tarheelmatt, I couldn't help but crack up reading about your experience. Not because you had to deal with a crappy salesman (that sucks), but because of your quote in your signature line. Maybe that guy was fighting a battle you knew nothing about. :lol: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @tarheelmatt, I couldn't help but crack up reading about your experience. Not because you had to deal with a crappy salesman (that sucks), but because of your quote in your signature line. Maybe that guy was fighting a battle you knew nothing about. :lol: 
    Guess you could make that argument.  However, I didn't retaliate on him one bit or cuss him like I wanted to.  Kids have calmed me down some I believe.  I was still "kind" to the guy.  

Now, the car salesman thing, different story that I should have handled differently.  I was younger, strappy, and immature at that point of my life.   
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Matt due to the money you saved on the knife, you can go back and load up on some "Prime" Rib eyes... :)
    Going back Saturday.  Me and the little girl will be going as the wife has to go to Duke for a class.  Good idea!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Report it to Costco as well. When I was working there we had a few companies with really obnoxious reps(they are supposed to sit there unless approached) that would act like those idiots at the mall that corner you into polishing your nails.

The absolute worse was a Traeger rep. This was a few years ago when I was just shopping there. He was walking around the gas grills and bothering people, along with waking up and down the aisle running his mouth. I went up to his display and trolled him by asking why you can't sear steaks and if you use sawdust pellets, why can't I just get some from the lumber yard for cheaper. He was not impressed. 
    Didn't think about doing that.  Probably should have that day.  Well, hopefully the guy was talked to and he conducts business better in the future for their company.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Congrats on the free knife.

I'm not crazy about Cutco because they obviously spend a lot of money promoting their stuff as some secret panacea for the kitchen but mostly because they use 440A stainless steel.  Granted they do a good job hardening it, but it's the same ol' stuff that most (decent) kitchen knives are made of.

I really like Zhen - they use a VG-10 core, you can get the "Damascus" if you want it pretty and they're really a good value - not very expensive for what you get.
    The blade is nice and the handle is very beautiful.  The sharpness like I said, it was good, but not crazy sharp like my Shun was out of the box.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Cutco doesn't do much marketing. In fact it's mostly aimed at getting 18 year olds their first job in sales. They provide great sales training and a great income to young people. My first job in sales was selling cutco and I found it to be a wonderful experience.  I still have those knives and send them back to the company once a year for sharpeneing or replacing. The warranty is what makes them so great. Past that they are above average knives aimed at people who have never owned anything but a basic walmart knife.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I had the KJ guy trying to sell me their charcoal after I told him I have three BGEs.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

I had the KJ guy trying to sell me their charcoal after I told him I have three BGEs.
    Ha!  I'd love to have been a fly on the wall.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options

Now that is funny
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It was summer 1973. I was 18 years old and looking for a job in Times Picayune newspaper. I came across an add that said," high school grad with car".   I thought, hey that's me. It was Cutco.
    I worked for them through that summer and until the end of the year.
    I bought the entire demo set when I left and still have it. Their customer service is top-notch. They sharpen for free and replace any broken knives, they even sent me a brand new pair of scissors when I returned them for sharpening after my wife left them in the garden outside for a month.
    So they are not the highest quality best knife blade ever made. But they are absolutely perfect for our needs as a typical family cooking and prepping in the kitchen.
    I have three daughters and we bought each of them a complete set of Cotco knives and kitchen utensils for their wedding gifts.
    I highly recommend Cutco. 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I love twitter for stuff like this, when an AT&T alarm tech broke my 7' wide master bathroom mirror and chipped the counter top, I did a campaign including pictures when we didn't get much of any response from the direct manager.  I was basically called the next day after taking to the tweets - long story short they replaced the mirror and gave us a new granite counter top right before we listed our house, muahahaha.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    In his defense their charcoal is really good and much better than BGEs.. just happens he tried to sell a Toyota to Henry Ford, lol. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Salesman pro'ly didn't make enough selling just 1. No excuse for being a jerk, tho'.

I had a paring knife, Australian made, but I think sold under the Sheffield brand. Decent steel, but nothin special. It came w. a little clip-thingy that could be placed on the side of a cabinet, and hold the knife. The cool thing was there was a small sharpener in the clip, so every time the knife went in or out, it got a touch up. Something like that would be great for 440A daily use knives.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited October 2015
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Salesman pro'ly didn't make enough selling just 1. No excuse for being a jerk, tho'.

I had a paring knife, Australian made, but I think sold under the Sheffield brand. Decent steel, but nothin special. It came w. a little clip-thingy that could be placed on the side of a cabinet, and hold the knife. The cool thing was there was a small sharpener in the clip, so every time the knife went in or out, it got a touch up. Something like that would be great for 440A daily use knives.

It's probably not a full cutco rep. Most likely Costco agreed to sell only certain merchandise.  They probably made a deal to get x number of sets and they will get them for a price that makes it worth selling them in the store.

A cutco rep would take any sale you could give them. They are paid a % of purchase price and all you ahve to do is fill out a single page entry page which has probably been digitized by now. There is no way there was a lack of motivation to sell even just one knife. And, anyone I ever sold one knife too when I was a kid came back and got more. Every. Single. One.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My only thing is when have you ever gone into a Costco and been able to say , I don't want to buy this bundle can I have just one? Just playing the other side, he said he only had the sets, you could have viewed the quality and gone online and ordered your individual knife. Perfect example, the blendtec guy selling the new models that come with a better jar than my model. I would not say hey excuse your demo but I only want the jar. Not the box set, the jar.... All while the guy is trying to demo his product.
    Seattle, WA