Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using a drip pan with BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new egg user and am just learning. When I use a drip pan under a pork butt on a rack or similar meat with a slow, low dome temp (250 or so) the internal meat temp stops rising at about 160 or so. I had a 7 lb butt on for 7 hours and couldn't get the internal temp higher without raising the dome temp to 300-350. Am I just being impatient or is the drip pan shielding the meat from getting enough heat? The drip pan I am using is a weber aluminum tray about 10"x15" with about 1 1/2" sides. Maybe I should use a smaller drip pan. My egg is the large model. Everything I have tried on the BGE has been wonderful so far but I think I might be using higher temps than I should be. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Edward W. Bower, the drip pan will keep the dome temperature from rising quickly but it's also normal for the internal temperature to "stall" during the cook. Just be patient. A smaller drip pan might keep the dome temperature from dropping immediately but I don't think it will eliminate your "stall" situation at all. As long as you have not completely blocked the grill your drip pan should be fine.