Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza making

Illinifan
Illinifan Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have the pizza stone as well as the bricks. We have checked the
recipes on The Forum, but cannot tell if anything is placed on the
stone to keep the dough from sticking to the stone. Actually we
bought a pizza crust. Any hints?

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Illinifan,[p]I know I make the pizza on a peel dusted with corn meal. Before I "shake" it on the stone, I apply a slight dusting to that as well. One word of caution, make sure you have all of your ingredients ready and the egg up to speed. You don't want to let that pizza sit on that peel too long. Slides like glue.[p]Have fun.[p]Mick

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Illinifan,[p]I have never dusted the stone preferring to go the method of pizza parlors, a clean hot stone. The pie will definitely stick when first applied, so placement is important.[p]Once cooked the pies crust will be dry and not stick to anything.[p]Best of luck.[p]Spin
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    MickeyT,
    I used to go the cornmeal route too. I now use kosher salt on the stone and peal. Cornmeal will burn. Even in volcano mode the Egg does not get hot enough to melt salt. :>)

• Illinifan,[p] Just got my new BGE and can't wait to do a pizaa ... this week for sure! I do them regularly on my BroilMaster gasser(now that Summer heat has set in), on a large pizza stone, cooker temps around 475*-500*F. I prefer to shape the dough,(homemade from bread dough), just a little corn meal or rice flour on a peel, parchment paper, then pizza. I add sesonings and toppings, then directly onto the stone (already at full temp). I trim the parchment to reduce the amount of burned black paper during the cook. A large pizza usually takes around 12 minutes and I rotate it once about midway. The other comments are very sound .... corn meal and rice flour will burn and have some impact on the crust flavor. I haven't tried salt, but might work out ok as long as dough is not already salted a lot. Your preferences for the final pizza dough consistency also play a large role. We tend to prefer a thinner, crispier result, but many do not. I also do artisan breads regularly, and the parchment paper is essential.
    Regards,
    Tom B.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    pizza3.jpg
    <p />Illinifan,[p]I flour my peel just a little, flour the dough before I roll it out and then put on the hot stone as is. It slides right off the peel and never sticks to the stone. You get nice crispy crust without the cormeal or whatever sticking to the crust. My dough recipe is in the link if you want to try it. I love pizza, stromboli, garlic knots etc. on the egg, I am sure you will too.[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Pizza Dough[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Illinifan,
    Here is a link to my page of pizza hints and tips. Good luck!
    TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    dhuffjr,
    How much salt to you have to use to keep it from sticking? It seems like the dough would pick up alot of salt.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Wahooegger,
    Not too much...say about as much corn meal or a little less. A Dayton are pizza chain (Cassanos) is know for their uber thin crusts with salt on the bottom. Its acceptable around here.[p]I used to salt pizza anyway. Don't do that very often anymore but I do like the subtle saltiness this adds.

• Illinifan,[p]No need for anything on the stone. Your pizza will not stick when cooked, except if you get cheese under the dough.[p]Gaspar
  • Illinifan, use the store bought crust while getting used to pizza cooking. Try to keep moisture of ingredients low. I saute most of my vegies first, less moisture more crisp.
    Get used to making two pizzas. Because most dough recipes give you enough for two. Cook 1st pizza eat some make the next pizza, this gives the egg time to come back up to temp. Put different ingredients in different bowls. Have bowls lined up. Production line thought pattern. You will need a peel and fine grain corn meal. Corn meal on peel. Crust onto corn meal. Pizza sauce, a little goes along way, your choice of ingredients, cheese. Work as fast as possible. Then slide pizza off peel onto stone, don't be affraid to give the peel a littl forward thurst. I do not dust my stone. I like a temp of about 550. Use flash light to look down through daisy wheel, when cheese is starting brown Pizza is done. [p]When you get comfortable with this start making your own dough. Then only way to go. It took me about 10 trys to get a round pizza, but every one was great. [p]Two night cook. First night chicken, burger, what ever, reduce heat put fresh pinapple rings on grill. Cook until starting to brown. Save pinapple chunks for Hawiian Pizza the next night. Man at Wouk pizza Chinesse Sausage, Green beans, ginger and a little HoSin sauce. FF

• Illinifan
    Illinifan Posts: 35
    Fearless Flatlander,We really appreciate all the comments
    and advice re the pizza. [p]without the advice, doubtful if our pizza would
    be edible.[p]Again, thanks to all who responded!!!!