Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Chili recipe?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Doing Chili two ways next weekend for 10 visitors coming over for my wifes baby shower.  We will have a Dutch Oven of Cow Lick Chili for sure . . . but need a second Dutch Oven going. Anybody have a great Green Chili suggestion?  
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    @NDG I've never heard of green chili, other than the peppers, you've peaked my curiosity though 
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I did Bobby flays pork green chili once. It was good. Recipe on the web

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I did a white chicken chili that was real good.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Google ' Chile Verde' ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Google ' Chile Verde' ...
    Chile or chili? Chile verde is a pepper we use for enchiladas 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    It's actually both, in the Mexican culture, they often use terms than mean two different things. The version I'm talking about uses pork. Google it, you'll see it.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    2-3# Pork sirloin roast. Simmer at 300 with a 3/4 cup of water, chopped onion, garlic, cilantro, several roasted peeled green chilies, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, maybe 1/2 tomato. Cook for several hours. To thicken at end of cook, use a couple tablespoons of flour mixed with the liquid from DO. Add more green chilies if desired. Prior to serving shred pork to your liking. 
    That's how I wing it.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    R u talking like a hatch Chile sauce?  We make a variety depending on what it's going with. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I've got a batch going in the crock pot now!  :D
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Just wanted to write back a quick thanks for all the response.  Life has been sooo crazy (work travel & pregnant wife & home projects) but I did read everything and appreciate the guidance.  Similar to @durangler . . . I am doing mine in the Dutch Oven on the egg - using the roasted / frozen HATCH chili flesh I made earlier this year . . full recipe below:

Colorado Green Chili

INGREDIENTS

• 3pounds boneless pork butt roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
    • Salt
    • 2pounds (10 to 12) Anaheim chiles, stemmed, halved lengthwise, and seeded
    • 3jalapeño chiles
    • 1(14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    • 1tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 2onions, chopped fine
    • 8garlic cloves, minced
    • 1tablespoon ground cumin
    • 1/4cup all-purpose flour
    • 4cups chicken broth
    • Cayenne pepper
    • Lime wedges

INSTRUCTIONS

1. 1. Combine pork, ½ cup water, and ½ teaspoon salt in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates and pork browns in its own fat, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer pork to bowl and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, adjust 1 oven rack to lowest position and second rack 6 inches from broiler element. Heat broiler. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with vegetable oil spray. Arrange Anaheims, skin side up, and jalapeños in single layer on prepared sheet. Place sheet on upper rack and broil until chiles are mostly blackened and soft, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating sheet and flipping only jalapeños halfway through broiling. Place Anaheims in large bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let cool for 5 minutes. Set aside jalapeños. Heat oven to 325 degrees.

3. Remove skins from Anaheims. Chop half of Anaheims into ½-inch pieces and transfer to bowl. Process remaining Anaheims in food processor until smooth, about 10 seconds; transfer to bowl with chopped Anaheims. Pulse tomatoes and their juice in now-empty food processor until coarsely ground, about 4 pulses.

4. Heat oil in now-empty Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth, Anaheims, tomatoes, and pork with any accumulated juices and bring to simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Cover pot, transfer to lower oven rack, and cook until pork is tender, 1 to 1¼ hours.

5. Without peeling, stem and seed jalapeños and reserve seeds. Finely chop jalapeños and stir into chili. Season chili with salt, cayenne, and reserved jalapeño seeds to taste. Serve with lime wedges.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Thought you would never ask.  Been doing this version and a few variables for 30+ years.  Hope you eggjoy.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=962512&catid=1
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    These recipes will bring you great joy!http://505chile.com/recipes/
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow