Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Salmon - Direct or Indirect? (Plus other questions)

Options
 I am going to give cedar plank salmon a try tonight. My first question is whether or not to go direct or indirect. 

I plan to keep it simple and just sprinkle some raging river along with some butter and fresh dill over top of the salmon. Should I coat all sides of the salmon in olive oil or anything like that? What about buttering the planks before putting the salmon on?

Any other tips, suggestions, or feedback is greatly appreciated. 
XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I typically cook these at 400 direct. I do soak the cedar planks for about 4 to 6 hours and then lightly oil the planks with olive oil. If the salmom filet has no skin, I do put olive oil on both sides and then coat it with a simple rub like Dizzy pig raging river. I also like to put some herbs on top of the slamom like dill & rosemary and then some slices of lemon.

Here's a recipe from BGE: http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/cedar-planked-salmon/

I have made this before and it comes out real good.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Options
    I go raised direct with my cedar plank salmon. I throw the plank in about 10 minutes prior to putting the salmon on. We sprinkle either Dizzy Pig Raging River or BGE Kodiak River on it. I will also top with a one for one mix of brown sugar and crushed black pepper. After 10 minutes on the grill, I will flip the plank over and put the salmon on the charred side. I cook around 400 dome for about 14 minutes.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Raised direct at 400 for 12 to 14 minutes. I soak the planks in water for a couple of hours, put them over the fire for a minute, flip them, drizzle them with olive oil, and put the salmon on the planks.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Raised direct on plank at 250*, DP Raging River and couple of handfulls of alder chips. About 30-40 minutes. Salmon is incredibly moist and tender. Cook to internal of 135*
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input here.  I went with 400f raised direct 14 minutes.  Olive oiled all around, dusted with DP Raging River, rosemary, dill, and a pad of butter on each piece. Planks soaked about 4 hours. No preheating of planks - just loaded them up and onto grill. 

I also made roasted baby Dutch potatoes and grilled romain lettuce (stolen from Ross in another thread - Thanks Ross). 

Everything came out perfect. The Salmon may have been the best I've ever had anywhere. So glad I gave this a try and will definitely do it again.  

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks great!  I'm too lazy to soak the planks that long :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I cook mine raised direct. Planks lightly olive oiled as well as the salmon. Season lightly with pepper and lemon juice (or your choice of seasoning) and cook til they ooze the white stuff. Pull and serve. I never close the lid.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Great looking cook, @Tier1Terrier!  Planked salmon is one of my favorite cooks on the BGE.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Is it normal for the planks to warp like this after one cook? Personally, I think this has an advantage for following cooks in that I'll place foods on the concave side and won't have to worry about anything like butter dripping away. Just curious and I wonder how many cooks these things will
    last for?

• SmokingPiney
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yeah, they warp a bit. I use the planks until they're fairly charred. I usually get 4 to 5 cooks out of a plank before I replace it.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    I learned a tip at one of my first Eggtoberfest.  When you get your plank soak it several hours or overnight and put it in the freezer and you good to go anytime.  I personally go naked, no plank direct.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I'm just wondering what the plank adds to the fish? I have never tried it.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim,

The planks smoke a bit and add a great taste to the salmon.
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    I'm just wondering what the plank adds to the fish? I have never tried it.
     If you look at the above photo where the smoke is coming out of the top of the egg, that smoke is from the cedar planks. It was not from the coals as the smoke had already died down before I put the planks on. And yes, it did add an element of smokey flavor to the salmon that would otherwise not be achieved had it just been over the coals.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Thanks it sure looks GOOD! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    One mighty fine cook!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"