Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled pizza!!!

Options
So i decided to grill some pizza tonight. Went with the AR extended and d grid on top, about 400 degrees dome temp but only a smaller amount of lump in the bowl. It keeps you from torching the crust, but still cooks a great pie. 

See how i only have a bit of charcoal in there? Its about a 3/4 chimney. Next you get your dough ready and brush olive oil on one side and sprinkle it with kosher salt. I toss it on the grate, and cook it until its nicely browned, then pull it. 

Dough cooking on the first side above, and heres what it looks like on the board below before i top it. Good and browned. I oil the uncooked side too. Tonight was bbq pulled pork pizza. Sweet baby rays for sauce, cheddar mozz cheese blend, sliced red onions and of course the pork, that was egged a few days ago. 

Here is the whole thing just as it gets ready to go in. 

And here we are just before slicing time!!!!! Killer pizza, i like it way better than on a stone. Im using sams club dough, one ball makes two pizzas. 

Heres the pork i smoked the other day, that went on the pizza. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• milesvdustin
    Options
    By the way, the adjustable rig is awesome and you see two variations in my post. And the new format for pictures still sucks. Took me 30 min on my phone. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I keep thinking I'll try it again, but I haven't. This article from a Fine Cooking mag I bought in 1996! I did the pizza on a Weber kettle.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That awesome. I can't remember ever seeing another person besides me actually grill a pizza. I mean I'm sure people have, but I can't remember. People just don't do it on an Egg. You make me want to do one again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking grub and technique!  Looks delicious!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I used to do it the same way on my gasser regularly.  But since I got the Egg, I use a stone. I like doing it in one step and getting a more authentic pizzeria result.  BUT, the grilled pizzas were a blast and actually easier than messing with a stone.
    LBGE/Maryland
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Good looking pies.  Question: Dome open or closed during the cook.  I'm thinking open for the initial side 1 crust cook, and closed for side 2?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    You can do it either way. Usually i throw it on and close the dome, wait two minutes, spin it 180, and let it go until desired browning is reached. Then flip it, top it, and pretty much the same process. Definitely dome closed to melt the toppings. Its a bit more work, but i havent burnt a crust yet! Unlike on my stone..... plus, it gets real crispy and the grill lines are neat. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    You can do it either way. Usually i throw it on and close the dome, wait two minutes, spin it 180, and let it go until desired browning is reached. Then flip it, top it, and pretty much the same process. Definitely dome closed to melt the toppings. Its a bit more work, but i havent burnt a crust yet! Unlike on my stone..... plus, it gets real crispy and the grill lines are neat. 
    That's a cool technique.  You are able to get the cheese melted and everything warmed before the crust chars up? 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very cool technique.  I will give this a try sometime.  Looks delicious! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Awesome! The wife and I used to cook pizza like this all the time before the egg on old POS gasser from Wal-Mart! Works good but love the egg so much better.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• milesvdustin
    Options
    500 said:
    That's a cool technique.  You are able to get the cheese melted and everything warmed before the crust chars up? 
    You bet, thats why i build the smaller fire. Makes the crust crispy, melts the cheese, works well. I DO let the egg get up to 500 or so for a while before i bring the temp down, gets the ceramic nice and hot. 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    The bottom of the crust comes out just like the top, golden brown and crispy and delicious. 

• Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    A buddy of mine told me about a new technique that I tried out last weekend.  
    You cook the pizza on a pan on top of the AR extender until the toppings are getting melted and near completion, then throw the pizza on the pizza stone which is at a lower level on the AR for a couple minutes.  
    Crisped up and browned the crust real nice and the toppings were well done.  
    Best pizza I have made.  Wish I'd taken pix to share.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q