Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flour instead of cornmeal when baking pizza?

Options
Hey all.  I have baked pizza twice now on my new large egg. They have been delicious aND so even cooked...so happy with purchase. 

I have used cornmeal both times on the pizza peel and on the baking stone to prevent burning.  My wife is not a fan of the cornmeal.

Question, can you substitute flour on the peel and baking stone and not have the pizza dough burn?  Is there something else that can be used?

Let me know you best tips.  

Best!

Comments

• golfguyjosh
    Options
    Yes! I switched to flour too. The cornmeal had a sandy taste to it so I tried flour and loved it. Now after each pizza I push the old flour off the edge and put new flour on. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    One other alternative is using parchment paper that you remove after 2 minutes or so. Another way to skin the cat.  No, I didn't just say that :o
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    00 flour works just fine 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    +1 parchment
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do NOT put anything on the stone. It doesn't "prevent burning" and in fact, it burns. The purpose of it is to allow the pie to slide easily off of the peel. Period. If your stone is adequately heated, the pie will not stick.

I prefer semolina. Cornmeal would be my second choice. Flour also works, just not as well. I suspect your problem with the cornmeal was 1) you put it on the stone and 2) you used too much.

Here's my peel with the amount of semolina I use. Look closely or you may not see it. Literally, just a pinch. Build the pie on the peel and shake the peel a bit after you add each ingredient to keep the dough from sticking. My pies never stick and the semolina doesn't burn. Works every time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Flour can be used instead of corn meal. From a taste perspective, it is much better than using corn meal.  Only issue is that flour will adsorb moisture from the dough rather quickly. If left on the peel too long it will stick like glue.  If you work fast enough, it is the best thing to use.  Try semolina. It has a taste profile that goes well with the dough and doesn't adsorb moisture too fast. 

As others have said, only put it on the peel.  Its only purpose is to allow the dough to slide off the peel. Never put on the stone. Only use the minimum amount needed.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    From my experience the best flour is rice flour. Rice flour is like little ball bearings and it good for high heat.  I use it with my wood fired pizza oven and I cook at 800f.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I use parchment paper and I remove it after a few minutes.  I also used flour without any problem.

Options
    Just out of curiosity, where do you semolina guys find it? I have never seen it anywhere except one Italian market in what used to be Hartford's "Little Italy". It has turned into "Little Puerto Rico", but there are still a few holdouts. I bought a 5 lb bag there at least 3-4 years ago and still have a lot left. All I use it for is the pizza peel so I'm good for a while. 

I see that Bob's Red Mill offers it, but I haven't even seen that in stores around here. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    It can be hard to find in stores. What I have now I got from King Arthur (ordered online).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Semolina is at Whole Paycheck and Fresh Market.  We have a few international markets here that sell it as well,for less.  Online of course! I use it for making pasta, parchment for pizza.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always forget about WF. The only reason I have ever gone there is for SAF instant yeast. I need to replenish that about as often as I need semolina! =) The only yeast I use...

No Fresh Market here.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    Options
    @Carolina Q, you forget about it with good reason!  Keeping your hard earned coin.