Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger - Temp too hot for slow and low.

Options
New egger here. I attempted my first slow and low cook of Memphis style ribs.  Sadly, it was an epic fail. 

I was able to regulate the temp  at 220 however an hour into the cook, the temp spiked and continued to climb.  The wood chips for smoking caught fire and the temp ran up just north of 550 in a hurry.  

I closed the bottom vent completely and replaced the daisy with the cap to completely shUT off the air flow.  Strangely, this did not bring the temp down past 450. 

Thinking there must have been air leaking in, I since checked the gaskets and it appeared as if they were slightly off center. Ran the $1 test as well. After a slight adjustment, the gaskets are better in line and the $1 test improved.  The first $1 test didn't reveal any significant issues, however the adjustment definitely made it tighter. 

Has anyone had a similar issue?  Does anyone have some ideas or best practices with smoking wood chips?  I soaked them but they still caught fire.  

Thanks in advance for the knowledge. 

Comments

• BOMAN
    Options
    I would suggest using chunks instead of chips. Also, with chunks, no need to soak in water.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    It's not the chips. They do not catch fire at lower temps. Even 400+ unless there was too much air to begin with, which allowed the temp to rise, and the chips to catch fire as a result. What i mean is, the chips down catch fire and then cause the temps to rise. Instead, the temp rises, and that allows the chips to catch fire

a hot fire is always (and only) due to too much air. 

an hour isn't enough to be sure it's stable. And it sounds like the daisy was off? Keep the daisy on as insurance. Sure, you can run with only the lower vent, but if the lower vent is too open (probably no more than two credit cards thick), the daisy will keep the temp from rising

don't soak chips. That's the reason you were seeing low temps. Then the chips dried out and the fire took off because the vents were set for a fire that was damped by wet chips. No longer wet, the charcoal took off, and so did the chips

i ain't kidding about chips or chinks or twigs or whatever. If my fire is stable at 500, i can throw in chips and shut the lid. And once the extra oxygen (from the open lid) is used up, the chips absolutely cannot cacth fire. There is no spare oxygen. It's used up by the lump. The chips are on top

The fire was artificially low due to the wet chips. They dried, fire took off. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• keithJr305
    Options
    Thanks Darby.  As a follow up, I had the bottom damper at about a 1/2" and the daisy almost shut completely.  I figured it was sustained at 220 after about an hour of lighting the lump. It remained st 220 for the 1st hour of the cook. Again, minimal air flow as described above with damper and daisy.  

So what would then cause the fire to get to hot which would lead to the wood (chunks not chips) to catch fire.  Where could the air be coming from.  

Once hit got so hot, I closed the bottom damper complete and replaced daisy with green cap.  Still wouldn't come down below 450. 

Just don't know how the air was getting In to make it so hit when the damper ans daisy set up was good for say 1.5 hours.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Could be the heat rising caused more draft, lighting more coals, leading to more draft, etc. 1/2" is a big opening for the bottom vent. It takes a tiny opening for 220 degrees. And once the ceramic gets hot, it takes a long time to cool down.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    This is the hardest thing to learn as a beginner.  We've all done it.  Once you have blown past the temperature it's very hard to bring it back down.  You didn't say what size egg you have but my guess is 1/2 inch is too open to maintain 220.  1/8 to 1/4 is more likely. Over time you will learn the gaps you need for certain temperatures. Then a few minutes before you reach those temps you set the gaps where they need to be.  After that only fine adjustments are needed and no runaway situations.  Good luck and don't give be up.  It's worth it! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Where you by any chance using a drip pan with liquid in it?

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my lower vent is only open about 1/32 of an inch for 220 on one of my eggs, each egg is different
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2015
    Options
    half inch is too open.

what caused the fire to appear stable with the vents that open is probably a combination of being the start-up of the fire, so it's small for a while, plus the wet chips.

imagine you have a burner on high on the stove but with wet chips on it.  that burner isn't going to be too hot.

then the chips dry out, and the REAL settings of the burner cause things to catch fire.

same for you.  half inch open on the lower vent is pretty wide for a fire you want at 225-250.  except, not at start up, where you might have it open to help get things going faster.

but you couldn't tell it was open wider than it needed to be (to be stable) because your chips were damping the fire.  chips dry off, fire acts like a real fire with a more-open lower vent, and rises to its REAL temp settings, which are higher.

there is no need to soak chips.  chips, or other wood, can NOT catch fire in a stable fire, even if you are at 400+.  if this were an open campfire, of course they would catch fire.  but this is an airtight grill, and a stable fire is consuming all the spare oxygen that is coming in from below the fire.  tossing flammable wood on TOP of the fire doesn't cause flaming because the O2 is being full used.  there's no spare O2 to cause the wood to flare up.  it would need a lot more.

as you get used to the egg you will see this.  you'll open the egg to turn something, and standing there with all that air rushing in, you will see flames start up (whether the lump or wood pieces).  shut the dome when you are done, and that stuff will stop flaming in a few short moments as the egg resumes its stable burn, with the air from below

wood is wood, in the egg.  a pound of chips lasts as long as a pound of chunks.

in fact, you have better control with chips, because you can spread it out.

but that's not the issue.  the issue was: your vents were too open.  your fire was not actually 'stable'. and your fire was being held back by wet chips, which dried out in an hour and the fire (no longer working on drying the chips) was free to grow

...and just noticed what @gamason said too.  that will do it as well.  water pans are a governor, holding temps back, as the energy goes into evaporating the liquid (it doesn't boil at lo/slow temps).  when it is gone, that energy grows the fire.  more draft, higher temps, bigger fire.

fuel and air.  that's all it ever is. if the fire is too hot, it is ALWAYS (always) too much air, no matter how 'shut' you think it is
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GATraveller
    Options
    Get a pit controller and you won't have to do anything to set the temp other than punching the desired # into the unit.  
    It is nice to know how to regulate the egg before you purchase one though.  Keep at it.....that's the fun part for me.....I've always learned quite a bit more from my failures.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Holding the temp at 220 is not that easy.  Aim for something around 250 to 260 degrees ... that's the sweet spot for most eggs.  Some folks cook ribs at 375 and claim they are just as good as low-n-slow ones, so the extra 30 or 40 degrees or so will not be noticeable in the final product.  The bottom vent will end up around 1/8 inch open once everything is stabilized.  Utilizing the daisy wheel with the petals open just a crack (again in the 1/8 inch range) is good insurance.  The final openings vary slightly and are affected by the egg size, air tightness, lump, temperature, humidity, wind speed, etc. 

Don't introduce any moisture into the egg ... soaked chips, chunks, or a water filled drip pan.  Spritzing a few times might be the only exception, but again it's not needed.  The egg doesn't need, nor want any additional moisture it in.

Eggs are easy to get hot, they are almost impossible to cool down while still cooking.  Do a hot cook and shut the egg down for the evening with the ceramic cap ... come back in a couple hours and it'll still be hot.

And yes, if they're honest, everyone will tell you that they've had a similar problem when they first got their egg.  It's difficult to come to grips with how little air is necessary to achieve target temps.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    I gave up trying to hold low 200's with my XL. I can hold 250 all day long, though. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Usually small gasket seal problems just mean that the other vents need to be more closed. If the dome is not seated such that you can fit a pencil, or such, in a gap area, then you won't be able to control the temp.

You definitely had an air flow problem. As mentioned, wood can't burn in the Egg at low temps. The burning lump uses all the oxygen, and the wood doesn't reach combustion.

Again as mentioned. 1/2" at bottom is too open. I'd expect at least a 300F dome with an opening like that. I leave the daisy off and the bottom wide open till the dome therm reads 200F. Then I put the daisy on, petal less than half open, and shut the bottom to a little less than 1/4". Typically, that sets in to about 250F. After a few hours, the temp usually creeps up, and I end with both top and bottom all but closed.

Once the ceramic heats up, the heat will stay up for a long time. I measured a few times, and found that after shutting completely down w. a dome around 250, the Egg interior temp stayed above the 140F "danger zone" for between 60 & 90 minutes.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    1. You have to "catch" the temp on the way up. Pay attention as you're 50 degrees below your desired temp and begin to tamp down the vent and daisy wheel. As you settle into to your temp, be patient, have another beverage and let the ceramics begin to work for you to lock in your temp.

2. For 225-250 the bottom vent on a Large is open about the width of a quarter ot two, same with the daisy wheel - maybe a tad more. 

3. You'll get it. Keep egging! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• keithJr305
    Options
    Thank you to all for your feedback.  This truly is a great community to be a part of.  

Forgot to specify.  I do have a large egg. 

Also, I did you a drip pan with water to help keep moisture.  Saw this on several youtube videos.  So I will scrap this idea going forward since it appears that may contributed and ultimately is not needed. 

Couple days later I nailed it on some killer pizza's at 700.  So evenly cooked and delicious.  Very excited and it can only get better from here.  

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.  

Best!
  • gerhardk
    Options
    I believe the biggest reason people have a fire get away from them is that they micro manage the temperature.  When I do ribs I light the fire and stabilize the fire and then I add the platesetter, and the meat, now the temperature will drop to well below my target temperature and may stay low for the better part of an hour no matter how tempted I am I leave the vent and cap settings at the stabilized settings.

Gerhard
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    For 250 on my large, the bottom vent is open about the width of 2 stacked credit cards.  Daisy is open about the same.  She will roll like that for 28 hours until the lump is completely exhausted.

Wood chunks run easier when mixed in with the lump during filling the firebox.  All you'd need is about 3-4 fist-sized chunks to cover for smoking.  Once the meat hits a certain temp, it won't absorb/adsorb any more smoke.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Yes back when I first got my LG egg I had problems with too hot! long ago I figured out that low and slow was 250 and that 210-220 produced nothing better than 250-300 and 250 was easy to maintain.  Now all I do is turbo butts and briskets at 350-375 ish and just as good as low and slow in 5-6 hours.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer