Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Beans and Rice

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, with the weather turning colder, the winter type foods are starting to be cooked. With the Canadian Winds a blowin’ on Saturday, I hauled out the Cast Iron Dutch oven and got the beans a boiling.[p]Someday I will egg this recipe, however I did not this time. I realized that I was out of Andoulli because I had cooked it for an early morning treat at Eggfest. I thank YB for the use of his egg while his wife’s breakfast casserole was cooking. I did have some wonderful Tasso Ham for flavor. [p]Once the beans were going, I noticed there were some sorry looking bananas sitting next to the stove. This inspired me to fire the oven as well. I found a basic recipe for banana bread and made the needed modifications. The modifications are simple and add a great dimension to basic Banana Bread. After I mashed the two overripe bananas, I wet them down with some Bacardi Dark Rum. I then added some Moko Jumbie hot sauce to the mixture. Moko Jumbi is nice hot sauce with lots of clove and Allspice flavor. It adds that wake quality that is sometimes needed in the morning. When I put it in Banana Bread it just adds a barely noticeable twinge but not a full burn.[p]I finished the bread for breakfast this morning and I am head to heat up the rest of the Red Beans and Rice for Lunch.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]An excellent suggestion and I just happen to have a bottle of Moko Jumbie in my diminishing hot sauce collection and a link or 2 of andouille from my last trip to N'awlins.[p]Once you've done this on the Egg, it will become a habit. You can wait until the beans are already cooked down to a semi-paste and then toss on the Egg for an hour or so with your favorite smoking chips. The same goes for jambalaya which we like to make early and then keep warm on the Egg until diner or the guests arrive.[p]K~G