Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A project forty days in the making

Options
i finally took the plung and bought some of the Unami dry age bags. After some difficulty getting the bag sealed I finally triumphed and into the beer fridge the ribeye primal went. 

So after much anticipation the calendar finally rolled around and it was ready. I went 40 days on this first go round. 

I was was surprised how hard the crust had become- takes some work to get everything sliced up. 

Cooking soon so will update...
Greensboro, NC

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks good, can't wait to hear how it tastes.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    That will be well worth your effort and wait! That was one nice marbled chunk-o-cow! I assume it was graded prime.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Actually it wasn't prime- they only had two prime ones when I bought this one and they weren't as soft and floppy as this one. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Actually it wasn't prime- they only had two prime ones when I bought this one and they weren't as soft and floppy as this one. 
    Even better!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    COOL!!! I buy all my sub-primals for dry aging from SAM's. They only carry select grade. What I do is go on a Monday morning when the bins have been re-stocked so I'll have 12 to 20 to choose from. I've taught myself (and had good luck I suppose) learning to read the large end marbling in spite of the snarled up cryovac end seal.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks fantastic!!!  Remember that it cooks faster than non-dry aged meat! SO pay attention to the temp of the meat. I was shocked at how fast it cooked!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Looks great! I so want to try this! 
    I'm renovating a bedroom and bathroom in our house for the owmbo so its given me the green light to get some more toys!

So the question is, how big is a full rib roast or a strip loin? One reason is for the bags to order and second is she okayed a chamber sealer if they will fit
  • RRP
    Options

So the question is, how big is a full rib roast or a strip loin? One reason is for the bags to order and second is she okayed a chamber sealer if they will fit
    As a rule of thumb a boneless rib eye sub primal will run 15 to 18 pounds and a strip loin 10 to 12 pounds. The issue you raise though is your interest in a chamber style vacuum sealer so you will need to know its dimensions. The larger the better, but the smaller it is then for use with a UMAI Dry bag there is an issue. A conventional vacuum sealer such as made popular by Food Saver works better since it will just be sealing the end, not trying to encompass the whole sub-primal.
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Looking at a vp215 so inside size is 11" by 5" by 15". Think that is big enough?
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've never tried aged meat so I'm interested in your final results.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • RRP
    Options
    Looking at a vp215 so inside size is 11" by 5" by 15". Think that is big enough?
    IMO that might be a very tight fit. The most common/popular size UMAi Dry bag is their Ribeye/strip loin bag which is a flat 12 x 24 bag and is meant for a 12 to 16 pound sub-primal. I'm not saying that a 11 X 5 X 15 chamber wouldn't work, but it just seems too small to me. 
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Thanks for the info. We don't have a sealer now and dont want to buy two to dry age. I make alot of sausages so the speed and durability of the chamber sealer was a big plus. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You can dry age without bags too. Not to step on toes. 

Rinse, pat dry, place on cooling rack in/on a coookie sheet in the bottom of your beer fridge. Wait. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I know but my wife is squeamish of that. 
  • RRP
    Options
    I know but my wife is squeamish of that. 
    UMAi Dry is becoming a real popular source of their speciality bags for various charcuterie.  That speciality side of their biz has taken on a life of its own outside of just dry aging beef sub-primals whether you want to consider bag or commando.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    problem is asking the wife in the first place. Heh heh heh. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Those look amazing brother!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think prime ribeye is too fatty.  Choice is my choice, regardless of price.  Nice job, can't wait to hear about the taste test.
    Options
    Sorry had an unexpected visitor show up at the house as the steaks were in final stages. So didn't get any pics.

The wife noticed the difference and liked it- kids didn't notice anything but still ate theirs. I have eaten quite a few dry aged steaks and these turned out pretty well- not the best I have had but much better than normal.  I also kept one piece very untrimmed- I enjoyed the flavor but the ends remained fairly hard. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2015
    Options

I got the 120 and it is terrific. Don't know where you are but Cedarlane Culinary in Burlington ON is the distributor for Vacmaster. I was able to negotiate.

https://cedarlaneculinary.ca/Products/Detail?code=VP120&lob=Culinary

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I'm in Ingersoll so 15 minutes east of London on the 401
  • Little Steven
    Options

California moved us out of a playoff spot. You need to get on here.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1779140/#Comment_1779140

Steve 

Caledon, ON