Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Raised rig is the best way to go?

Options

I don't have any accessories other than a platesetter for my LBGE.  It has been suggested that cooking wings and pizza is best higher in the dome.  So I want to do that.  what do people suggest?  Last I checked the AR rig from ceramic store was $219!  I know that price should not be an issue but wanted to get people's suggestions.  I don't do a lot of high volume (ie multiple meats) in the egg but I guess that would be nice

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Got AR. Called Tom at Ceramic Grill store first. Took his advice and love it. My advice call Tom and tell him what you want to do. You will be happy you did. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    It's Friday, assuming the cooking to be done is for the weekend? Here's what you do.
    Buy 3 firebricks, or any brick for that matter (if non-firebrick, wrap HDAF around them) I suggest you buy a second cooking grate (Home Depot or ?)

Lay one grate on the fire ring, position the bricks at the 12, 8, and 4 position. The put the second cooking grate on top.

There you go, raised direct with no chance of the bricks falling into the pit.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • FaceDance
    Options
    I think this cost $20 at Ace
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Look through the forum and you'll see people using various homemade raised grids.  I've used firebricks to raise the grid(<$5.00). The one I use the most is a grid from an old Smokey Joe with stainless steel bolts. It sits on top of the standard grid. Removes in a second or two. Sometimes if the radiant heat is too hot, I toss it in to increase the distance between the food and coals. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @SoCalTim ... made a great suggestion.  That's the way I went for quite awhile ... fire bricks from Menards (~$18) and a ~13 Weber grill (~$7) from my local Ace Hardware.  That arrangement was inexpensive and did everything I wanted ... not the most elegant solution, but it worked well.

I now have one large egg with a plate setter, PSWoo2, Woo extension, and CGS D-grill.  I've also got a large with a full AR rig plus extras and an AR extension w/ the CGS D-grill.  Although the AR rig has it's place, for most cooks, the plate setter/PSWoo2 combo is my favorite setup.  Simple, clean arrangement that is easy to use.

Try the fire brick/cheap grill for a few months and then give Tom a call at CGS for his input ... maybe by then you'll have a better idea of what you want ... plus, he might have a Christmas sale going.

PS ... don't forget to think about the lowly spider ... one of CGS's best, but most overlooked items.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    six_egg said:
    Got AR. Called Tom at Ceramic Grill store first. Took his advice and love it. My advice call Tom and tell him what you want to do. You will be happy you did. 
    This ^^^^^    AR is a great product     
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • swordsmn
    Options

I love the ace solutions,  bolts, second grid, firebricks  etc...  but if you enjoyed erector sets as a kid, and love spending the kids inheritance like I do...  nothing beats the joy of rearranging stainless steel with the AR.  Start small & add as you go.  DO call the store and talk to him so you don't buy more than you need.   I like the supports that allow me to slide the 13x17 grids out & rearrange.    I initially bought the R&B  rib & brisket   it has an oval stone for indirect that matches the grid,  then you fashion a drip pan in alum foil around a separately bought template ring...    OR  you get the AR  with a Spyder that sits below the AR  in  the fire ring cutouts..  then IT can hold a 13" indirect stone and it frees up all the AR levels  for meat.    you'll want a round drip pan atop that stone  separated from stone with 1/4" plumbing tees.

If you have a plate setter already  you can not obsolete it &  look at a pswoo  with an extender (it'll hold the psetter for easy removal)   then if u wanted even higher add a cheap extra grate  raised with bolts!

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I echo the suggestion to start with the simple solution (and if you can't find fire bricks-pound three aluminum canned beers and use the empties for the raised grid).  And then figure out the after-market toys. 
    Ceramic Grill Store (linked here: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/) has top quality offerings.  Should you land there then call and talk with Tom as he will do you right and the site can be a bit of a challenge to navigate.
    Given you have a platesetter the PSWoo2 is a great place to start.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • swordsmn
    Options

I think you might well like the pswoo2  as I mentioned too.   @lousubcap is spot on

That soln takes you down one path at Ceramic Grill Store i.e.  you can't use an AR  on top of a woo2     it's either or      or u could later just sell the Woo2  or use in Egg2.    Or keep if u later get an AR  ,  you might want raised one day, own both & decide woo2  is a quicker setup. 

• GATraveller
    Options
    This is a great product made by a great company here in the USA!!!!

http://www.innovationsbychance.com/the-roswell-rig.html

I use it for pizza and it's perfect.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Ar is my vote. I bought everything i thought i would ever need, sold some old motorcycle stuff i wasnt using to pay for it. 

Buy once, cry once. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• jimithing
    Options
    A homemade raised grid will definitely work but I still bought the AR.  It's more stable and flexible (different levels) than using bricks and it's easily removable when I just want to do direct cooking on the original grate.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just use three carriage bolts and a spare Weber grid. Has worked perfectly for my needs for 5-6 years now.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• swordsmn
    Options
    And  that will be grate {sic}  especially for imminent need.  I love those setups and you save a fortune.  If he wants to be a toy whore though (and I am supreme leader)  we're just discussing future  excesses  lol
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    PS woo2 or 3 bricks from Home Depot/Lowes
    New Albany, Ohio 

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    Wings will still be good on the grate without raising it. 
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I really like my AR.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    I started with the woo2 then ended up getting the AR. With 2 large eggs it made sense to have both but I think the AR is really nice to have.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have one and in some cases two of a lot of the CGS setups and they all work well. With that said I use one of Tom's oval grids converted with some carriage bolts to raise it on top of my Woo more then the adjustable rig. The oval sidewise gives me the easiest access to the lower level, at least the way I use it.

• Terrebandit
    Options
    You could cheap out at your local hardware store, or you could treat yourself with an AR with all the bells and whistles.   Sound like you are a serious cook, so why not get the best?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    If you can swing it get he AR R&B combo for your large.  It is the perfect accessory for the large.  Multilevel cooking. No need for a woo2 for raised grid.   The stone protects a full rack of ribs.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    $7!!! Works with the plate setter and on top of another grate. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    @FaceDance  mine looks identical. Works great. I do two slabs of ribs and a whole chicken with that set up
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    so I bit the bullet and got the Large AR combo for $210.  Now, I want to smoke a spatchcock turkey and then also do wings.  Will I be able to do this with this setup?