Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chimney starters

Options
Eroc
Eroc Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I bought my egg, I've just been using starter cubes right in the cooker, either two buried on either side of the charcoal pile for lower temp cooks, or one or two under the fire grate to get it going faster and hotter.
Now I used a chimney for years, and have been thinking about going back to it to start faster, any opinions/experiences?[p]Anybody use the method like they do with a WSM, of adding a chimney full of lit to a pile of unlit (Minion Method), to start a slow burn on long cooks?

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Eroc,[p]I too used a chimney w/ the Egg after years of using it with a Weber. I'd start a 1/2 full chimney with newspaper and pour it into the unlit charcoal. My primary complaint with the method is the ash from the newspaper, something I'd hardly noticed before because there was so much ash from the briquettes themselves. Now I'm using MAPP and like it except for the sparking during the process (using Royal Oak.) I'd try using MAPP to start a chimney except the sparking wouldn't have the Egg to contain it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eroc,
    i found that a chimney for a long cook (dome temp say 250) was overkill. because sometimes the amount of lit lump would be too much, giving me an initial temp above my target.[p]and i found that for nuke-searing, if i started my egg a certain way, i could have more lump fully involved and at a higher temp than if i did a full starter-chimney, then dumped it in.[p]what is the 'certain way' i start my egg? well, i'm a cheep b^st^rd, and instead of starter match-sticks or pre-packaged cubes, i simply chunked apart a wax fireplace log with a scredriver. did it on a warm sunny day (log gets real soft) and i now have 5 pounds of starter chucks, two full one-gallon ziploc bags.[p]now, when i want a nuke sear, i have no problem lighting 5 or even 6 and tossing them in. before, with the 'preciou$' self-strike starter match-sticks or cubes, i'd use 2 or 3, and have to wait a while. my egg is roaring faster than if i lit my chimney, waited for it to go thermonuclear, and the dumped it in. i no longer have to wait for the dumped-in lump to ignite the rest of it. the whole thing is going.[p]for lo and slo cooks, it's a non- issue, just 2 or 3 small homemade starter chunks and i have a low fire, lit in a couple spots.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Eroc,
    I once found out by accident that if you have laid your charcoal, ready to light, and then dump in a full chimney of roaring hot coals, and....[p]if you then put the plate setter in, the grate, and the pork butts, then the temperature will not shoot too high. After I added the butts, the temp went down to about 150 and I then did the normal closing of vents as the temp approached 225. [p]So, I think it works fine as long as you have some meat to add and then immediately get control of the fire.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    stike,
    hey...a couple months ago I had posted that I found this huge 20# chunk of pure parrifn that my wife was going to use in some artsy-craftsy project 35 years ago. Well, you suggested making my own starter blocks by melting some and mixing in sawdust and pouring into ice cube trays. I asked how much sawdust do you suggest, but apparently you never saw my question. What do you think?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    Options
    RRP,
    if you really wanna do it, i'd fill a tray with the sawdust, tamp it down a bit but mostly about where you think the finished level would be. then i'd pour the melted stuff on. i have a feeling it will fill in the cracks and also be absorbed, rather than be a oure 'add' to the volume.[p]might wanna try a coffee can or something first, but what the heck, go full tilt. live on the edge! use the wife's best brownie pan

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Hey Eroc,
    I see you are a tattoo artist. Have you tattooed an egg on anyone yet? I am still waiting to see my first tattoo of an egg. Do you have a like to your shop, if so email it to me.[p]Thanks.[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Eroc
    Eroc Posts: 53
    Options
    webgary.jpg
    <p />Squeeze,
    I work at a shop called Little Vinnies Tattoos, I don't have a website right now, but I do have a gallery page at www.tattoodles.com, under the screenname EGREG, or Eric Gregory.
    I've never done any BBQ related tattoos, but i did just do a Hog head on a Redskins fan that I work with, that a suspiciously gave a smoked look to....hehehehehe...
    I plan on getting some BBQ tattoos of my own though, to go with the pizza, crab, and corn ones I already have.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Eroc,[p]Wow![p]You could be onto a whole new service offered to eggers. Besides tools and eggsessories made by fellow eggers.... we now have egg tattoos. mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    My thoughts eggsactly John. I have been working on a new one and it may be time to go through with it. Very nice work![p]-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I think that's "Eggtoos!"
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    Eroc,
    Nothing beats the good old WeedBurner.........

• chmoo
    chmoo Posts: 38
    Options
    stike,
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/266757.shtml[p]Use one for slow cooking, several if you want to melt your daisy wheel. <g>

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I'm envisioning a booth at the next Eggfest. There would be sporadic activity through the day, peaking towards the end of the fest. Then at the afterparty, he'd break out the tools once more, and all of a sudden there'd be frenzied tattoo activity as folks get a little deeper into the drinks and some wild bets are made.[p]On second thought, bad idea :)[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• Unknown
    Options
    Eroc,
    Nice INK. I appreciate good work. I have 10 of the old style. (back in the 60's) I have never regretted getting any of them.
    Now,
    Get out there and tattoo us Egg-ers.[p]Regards,
    Bordello

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Eroc,
    Hi there Eroc. You will not any better fire starter than this. I don't care what anyone uses or tries, this is the fastest and starts the most even fire of all. I have used everything in the book, but this is it. Go to this site and get the picture. You can buy this torch at most hardware stores. [p]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91037[p]Chef Jerry

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    You will find this torch has a long wand and starter button. Using this tool will allow you to stand back from the Egg and not get burned. [p]Chef Jerry

• stike
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    you could skip the egg and just wave that thing over your steak!

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Eroc,
    A chimney, using newspaper, is all I ever use and I've had good luck with it. I set it on a piece of steel, light it, then when ready I tap it a few times to get the ashes out of the bottom. Takes about 10 minutes, and surely the PRICE IS RIGHT!!

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    Cornfed,
    She's a real beauty
    A Mexican cutie
    How she got there I haven't a clue.[p]LOL