Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

R.I.P. My old Teflon coated BBQ Guru cables!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
I was carefully cleaning them today and the wire lead into the meat probe just fell off! They served me for 14 years so I got my money's worth! A couple years back I ordered replacements knowing I was on borrowed time. These are the heavy duty wire mesh ones so I'm sure they will take more abuse though I have always been carefull with the tiny Teflon wires which were the first generation when the late Shotgun Fred invented the guru.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Landfill or special place in your back yard? :lol: 
    Yea, you got good use from them.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • RRP
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Landfill or special place in your back yard? :lol: 
    Yea, you got good use from them.
    LOL - I thought about cremation, but remembered they wouldn't burn up so why try!  Here's a picture when the new sheriff arrived in town. See the difference?

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Bigger & stouter for sure!

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning Ron:

Sorry for your loss ;) ... my Teflon ones are still holding up, but I don't use them very often any more...hopefully they will last a few more years!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Like going from Barney Fife to The Outlaw Josey Wales :lol:  I'm sure these will serve you well Ron. FWIW your old one's gave ya some good solid years. Mine from Rock's BBQ are, I believe, silicone and at first I shielded them with a little foil. After speaking directly to them found that it wasn't necessary so long as radiant heat was blocked with say a PS leg etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    SSN686 said:

Morning Ron:

Sorry for your loss ;) ... my Teflon ones are still holding up, but I don't use them very often any more...hopefully they will last a few more years!

Thanks, Jay! You know what I think that I did wrong? I used to always grip the blackened end of the metal while cleaning the meat probe and tonight after I finished I then wiped up the wire and it broke like dry spaghetti! 
  • RRP
    Options
    ... and at first I shielded them with a little foil. After speaking directly to them found that it wasn't necessary so long as radiant heat was blocked with say a PS leg etc. 
    I hear you about not protecting a wire mesh cable, but (call me a cheap *ss) over the years. I have tried both foiling and not and on side by side experience using 4 cables from Thermoworks I am still using 1 foiled cable that is 7 years old and another that is 6. The unprotected ones bit the dust after a couple years at most! All 4 had been protected by a PS leg, but the nastiness of grease, creosote and heat hardens that wire mesh and make them brittle and stiff as a stick. You don't have to re-foil the cables all that often in fact 2+ years is normal for me as I always take the time to use a HD foil 3" wide and make a channel and then fold, roll, and keep compressing the foil down into a tight protective coat.