Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Assortment of Recent Cooks (Pic Heavy)

Options
It seems that life never slows down, but I guess that's a good thing. We've recently moved into out new place and I think we are 100% settled...FINALLY.   (I hate moving...) 

Anyways, onto the "meat of the thread"...

I ran across some beautiful yellow fin tuna at a local market. The quality was superb. I brushed the fish with some grape seed oil and seasoned with salt, pepper and a combination of white/black sesame seeds before hitting a screaming hot cast iron skillet on the MIni Max. I served it with a jicama, carrot & zucchini slaw wrapped in a zucchini roll and a homemade ponzu sauce. 

Ponzu Sauce    (no measurements were recorded, just taste tested) 
soy sauce
rice vinegar 
rice wine
brown sugar and lemon juice

This is my standard Paella recipe with chicken thighs, spicy andouille sausage, shrimp and some king crab. We love paella! 

My local butcher started dry aging their own beef. Here are a couple bone-in NY Strip steaks that were dry aged for 28 days. "Tender" was not even an appropriate term for these cuts. These were reverse seared on the Mini Max and served with a lumpy mashed potato and a sauteed mushroom pan gravy. 

We've been trying to add more fish and seafood to our diet. Mrs BGC loves some Chilean Sea Bass. Seasoned it with salt, pepper and a couple lemon wedges, then rolled it inside of a banana leaf. This cooked at 500F indirect for approx 11 minutes. Served this sea bass with spiral cut carrots, zucchini & squash, wild rice pilaf and a carrot/onion puree. 

Lastly, brisket...

My brisket always turns out tender, juicy and has a nice smokey flavor. However, the smoke ring has always been elusive. 

(I know, smoke ring doesn't really matter, but you eat with your eyes first.)

This time, I loaded up the XL with 6 sticks of wood and piled my lump in and around it and smoked at 250F. I seasoned it with @MeatChurch Holy Cow, of course. Once the brisket reached 170IT, it was wrapped in butcher paper for the remainder of the cook. The brisket was meat jello using the probe test and finally pulled at an internal of 198 in spots and 201 in others. It rested in a Cambro a little longer than I'd have liked, but it was absolutely phenomenal.  Great bark, excellent smoke, flavorful and plenty of juice. Excellent results. 

I'm happy to answer any questions to things I may have overlooked or left out. 

Hope you enjoy! 

Comments