Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooling and reheating butts...

Options
Have two boneless butts on large bge now, planned on cooking ahead for Saturday's tailgate. Question is, how do I pack them for travel? Ftc all day tomorrow then pack in ice to reheat, then pull at tailgate?

Whats the best way to handle a 24 hour delay before eating? 

Thanks!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would finish cooking them, let them rest on the counter 20 minutes, pull them coarsely (fairly big chunks, not shredded), put it into foil pans covered and refrigerate.   Reheat at the tailgate with a little vinegar based sauce added to the pan. 

What will you be using to reheat?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Another vote for pulling once the cook is complete.   Much easier to reheat as mentioned above.  It can take forever to reheat a butt to pulling temp once it has been cooled. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I agree as well on pulling ahead. It will cool a lot as you pull them. For the most moist results, consider vacuum sealing and refrigerating. Then reheat in the bags in boiling hot water. A cooler works great for this. Happy tailgating!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Hail State!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Southern Miss guy here.....  I'll hold off on the comments from the game....

Agree with pulling to course, large pieces.  Its much easier to reheat smaller pieces over a massive chunk of meat.  Vinegar sauce or Apple Juice to re-moisturize the meat when pulling.  Also bring some of the rub and sprinkle on the final product for a little extra flavor zing!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I do a couple of butts to carry every year on a golf trip with 15 of my buddies. I pull it, seal it up tight in gallon size freezer ziplocs, and refrigerate at home for a day. I carry it the next day in a cooler with bagged ice and put it in AF covered foil pans and heat it at 350 the next day, about 72 hours after pulling.  The first year I did this I carried a couple of cans of chicken broth in case it was a little dry.  It was as moist as the night I pulled it.    

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    When I've done this in the past, I've done similar to @Webass.....  I use the old Heinz Catchup glass bottles for my sauces that I make.  I've got vinegar based, tomato based, a sweet, etc.  But I also use one of the bottles to carry the apple juice; I have an extra top laying around that I punched a few holes in, mainly because someone has dropped and broken a bottle, and use it as a shaker to put the juice over the meat lightly.

I just like the glass bottles, its become a staple of mine!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you have time, let the cooked butt cool to around 120F before you pull.  It'll still be warm enough to pull but you won't lose as much moisture to steam. 

You can also let it cool as a chunk, cut into 1" slices cold (it will be firm) and heat those up in plastic bags or a slow cooker, or what not.  Once pulled, you can't really tell it was cut.
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I find it hard to believe no one yet has mentioned the "secret Coca-Cola trick". I've sworn by it for years! Just make sure you use real Coke, not the diet, nor any flavored ones and certainly NEVER pepsi. The MAIN thing though is don't tell people nor let them see you adding it! It works like magic, adds no sweetness and even when you get to the bottom there is no tell-tale brown liquid as it will be clear! I add about one 12oz can per 5 pounds of pulled pork. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @RRP - we drink coke down here......  And that "p" word that you mentioned, I've never herd of such, but I quick look on the googles tells me it a vile liquid that burned Michael Jackson's head....

• nolaegghead
    Options
    If it doesn't add any flavor or sweetness, how could it possibly make a difference if it were Pepsi rather than coke?
    Options
    If it doesn't add any flavor or sweetness, how could it possibly make a difference if it were Pepsi rather than coke?
    Don't you believe in magic? =) BTW years ago I remember in a similar thread many Southerners lined up in mass rooting for either Coke or RC and pepsi was never mentioned even one time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I hate Pepsi.  I drink Coke.  But still blindfolded people get them wrong.  It would be a fascinating phenomenon if the addition of pork butt would make them get it right.
    Options
    @rrp @nolaegghead soda in your pork butt.  meat in your butter.  this is getting dangerously close to Friday night...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited September 2015
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @rrp @nolaegghead soda in your pork butt.  meat in your butter.  this is getting dangerously close to Friday night...
    That's why I say to never tell people you added it as they wrinkle up their noses, but if they don't know then they get in line to pile up your accolades!!! BTW I'm told this is an old trick used in the restaurant business! You know what else??? it also works on rewarming beef.
  • JDoubleH
    Options
    Hey everyone, never had a chance to respond here, but just want to say thanks for the advice. Here's what I ended up doing:
    1. Removed the butts at 199 IT Friday morning. 
    2. Dropped them 1 on top of the other in my smallest igloo cooler. Left them there and went to work. 
    3. Got off work Friday afternoon, came home to pack the car for the trip to Starkvegas. Took all of your advice, pulled the butts out of the cooler, and I kid you not, 9 hours later, they were still hot in the center. Pulled them into alum trays, no added liquid, cooled in freezer 30 mins, into cooler. Off to God's country. 
    4. Fast forward to 1 pm Saturday in the beautiful scenery that was the Junction on Saturday. Dropped the alum pans into chaffing dishes, water pan underneath. Lit the sternos. 1 hour later, drizzled a small amount of Sweet Baby Ray's over the top and gave it a few more tosses. 

They at the whole damn 1st pan by 3:30.

It was drier than when first pulled, but it was pretty dang good per the feedback. 

Thanks everyone- love the wealth of information on this forum.