Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New locking Band

Options
Earl
Earl Posts: 468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Question!
I am about to install my new locking band. I found a tub of silicone
sealant in the box. It does not say what temp it should be outside.
We are sitting at about 37F today, will this stop the process need to
cure properly. What do we need the silicone for in the first place?
also, still not clear just where it goes, all the way around the top
band or only close to the rear hinge mechanism?
Thanks[p]Earl

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Earl,
    Place the silicone around the top band. It is supposed to act as an adhesive between the band and the dome. 37F is a little too cool for it to properly cure. 50*FG mo betta.

• Earl,[p]The local dealer advised me to apply silicone in the area where the hinge is located. I think the adhesive backed sandpaper in this area doesn't work quite right.[p]John

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Earl,[p]I'll email the instructions to you if I can find them. Let me look.[p]Puj
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    JJ, a little trick I learned from an engineering friend... when you want to state something in degrees like 212° right after you entered the number hold your ALT key down with your left hand and on the key pad press in order 248. Your numeric lock must be on. I know you didn't ask for advice, but you've helped so many people I thought I'd toss that tidbit into the ring!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    00_00006.JPG
    <p />Earl,[p] Well, I took the advice of J.J & some of you others. Because it is getting coolder, with help from Barb, we
    moved our large Egg inside to get warm. This way, we should
    not have any problem with the silicone not working the way
    it should.
    Thanks[p] Earl

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Earl,[p]Great setup Earl, now you can get ideas directly from the forum and perform them on the Egg without having to print them out. I see the table is right there too. You're all set man!!![p]
    Tim :-0

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    RRP,
    I tried it on my laptop, but cant get it to work. It doesnt have a separate numeric keypad-just the numbers across the top. Can I do it any other way? Thanks, Billy

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Earl,[p]How did your autolock installation go? Mine arrived today via UPS and will be a weekend project. Any tips or tricks you'd like to share?[p]K~G

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Billy, don't know the key to your laptop, but what that falls under is ASCII or more commonly known as text. Maybe someone else can help you get to it.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Billy, what you are entering is Ascii 248 - characters in Ascii range drom 0-255 in value - the characters from 0-127 in value are standard and everyone can read. Unfortunately, character codes from 128-255 have no common meaning and what you see on the screen will depend on the character set that is being used the person viewing your message. [p]This is the same problem that appears in the recipe section when someone enters the 1 character symbol (range 128-255) for 1/2 rather than the 3 characters each in the range od 0-127.[p]Anyway, have a great evening :~}[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]