Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FiAir hand blower will suit my needs to a T

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Friday I solicited ideas for a battery operated simple device to stoke my coals when first getting the temperature up. Several of you came forward with ideas and recommendations and I thank you for your input. @johnkitchens suggested a FiAir at Amazon that appealed to me so I ordered it. It is American made, takes 3 AAA batteries and surprisingly puts out the kind of air flow I was looking for. While it is single speed that's no problem as you just move it closer or further from the coals. For $25 I couldn't be happier! Tip of the hat to you @johnkitchens!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Dumb question: do you use this to get to temperature quicker?
    LBGE
  • RRP
    Options
    Dumb question: do you use this to get to temperature quicker?
    Sure! It blows on the embers once the starter cube, napkin whatever has burn out. I have used other styles as I like to stoke from above instead of through the bottom vent since on high it is direct. If used at lower vent level I'm sure it would stir the ash dust into an undesirable cloud.
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Gotcha, I may have to try this out. I am trying to find something to use other than the starter cubes, as they seem to put off an excessive amount of white smoke for the first 20-30 minutes. 
    LBGE
  • RRP
    Options
    Gotcha, I may have to try this out. I am trying to find something to use other than the starter cubes, as they seem to put off an excessive amount of white smoke for the first 20-30 minutes. 
    20 to 30 sounds awfully long - are you using more than 1? 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am so glad you like it Ron! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    @RRP no I'm not. Just one in the center of the coal. I will time it tonight to make sure, but that's what it seems like.
    LBGE
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I'ma recent convert to the large Weber charcoal chimney. It seems like no time and there are glowing red coals ready to cover the lump below. Anyone else doing this?
    Judy in San Diego
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    @RRP Try this... Just copied this from the description on Amazon.ca.
     "The on button can be depressed a little for a little air or a lot for a tempest of air."

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• RRP
    Options
     "The on button can be depressed a little for a little air or a lot for a tempest of air."
    Thank you, but seeing I have it FiAir in hand I can assure you the button either is on or off. Yes, I could pulsate it by rapidly flicking the button off and on but honestly it's not a variable switch.
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    Just quoting the description

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• RRP
    Options
    Just quoting the description
    Fine and I thank you - but regardless what the Amazon description says MINE is not variable speed. Maybe an earlier version was or some marketing guru coined that statement, but the FiAir I received today and used tonight is the on/off version. Peace, bro!!!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    @RRP no I'm not. Just one in the center of the coal. I will time it tonight to make sure, but that's what it seems like.
    Try cutting it in half or thirds.  When I used them, I found using two 1/3 pieces worked fine.  

Good to hear the FiAir works well.  I've been looking for something cheap and battery powered.  I guess it's too early judge battery life.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hmm .. I got mine today and the description seems to be correct ... by pressing the button slightly, the speed is lower and depressing the button completely powers the fan up to the highest speed. Kind of strange to do this .. I still would have preferred a 1-2-3 button or slider switch for the variable fan speed.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    This is why I like the looftlighter. I can use it to stoke the coals after I light the charcoal. I've had mine for a year and a half and I love it!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Try cutting it in half or thirds.  When I used them, I found using two 1/3 pieces worked fine.  

Good to hear the FiAir works well.  I've been looking for something cheap and battery powered.  I guess it's too early judge battery life.
    I take one of the BGE starter squares, tear it by hand into 3 pieces and light the lump in 3 different places. Seems to work really well.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• RRP
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Hmm .. I got mine today and the description seems to be correct ... by pressing the button slightly, the speed is lower and depressing the button completely powers the fan up to the highest speed. Kind of strange to do this .. I still would have preferred a 1-2-3 button or slider switch for the variable fan speed.
    I'm happy for you that yours works that way as mine does not. Even carefully reading the folded printed card that came with it says nothing about being able to vary the speed by pressing lighter or harder. Mine is either on or off. I have even written to FiAir asking what I am missing and IF that variable ability is possible then why isn't even mentioned in their literature. I hope to hear back from them soon. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

According to their website one can expect 10 uses on a set of batteries. They define a usage to be about 5 minutes of blowing. Of course a usage period could vary widely between users/fires.

Seems kinda expensive to me battery-wise. They also do not recommend using rechargeable batteries. I'm sure that's due to rechargeable batteries not having as much voltage as an alkaline and they want the unit to blow as much air as possible.

Their website also makes absolutely no mention (that I could find anyway) of a variable speed feature. Based on my experience with a lot of cheap battery powered gizmos it could just be that they have a crappy switch and the resistance changes (and thus the voltage going to the motor) depending upon how hard one squeezes it. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk