Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Pizzas

Options
Monty77
Monty77 Posts: 667
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
My wife said she felt like pizza tonight, and I was more than happy to oblige.  She did a thin crust whole wheat with fresh grown veggies from our garden.  

I was not so eager to be good tonight, so I did up my fav, a double pepperoni, double mozzarella, green olives, fresh basil, and shaved smoked black forest ham.  I cooked my wife's at 500*, she was thrilled with it.  

Here is my pizza's journey from start to finish   :)

Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Wow, those are killer!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Dude... Top notch
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Looks great! Tell me how long do you cook a pizza at 700°? I burned the bottom of one last week at 550 in just eight minutes. However I was using a steel instead of the stone. Maybe that makes the difference
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Monty77
    Options
    This was on for 7 minutes, I would have liked the dough to rise a bit more as it stayed a bit thin.  The taste was perfect and I really don't mind experimenting with more pizzas... First 4 minutes on parchment paper, then direct on the stone for the remainder of the cook
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Monty77 The rolling pin is your enemy.  You never want to use one of those with a pizza crust.  Hand stretch your dough ball gently, as to not pop the natural bubble rise of the dough.  Everything else looks great.

Also, no need for parchment paper if your stone is preheated.  The dough won't stick to a hot stone.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options

Cookinbob said:
    Looks great! Tell me how long do you cook a pizza at 700°? I burned the bottom of one last week at 550 in just eight minutes. However I was using a steel instead of the stone. Maybe that makes the difference
    If you're burning the bottom before the top gets done your dough does not have enough moisture in it.   Are you making your own dough?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Nice!!
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Monty77
    Options
    @Monty77 The rolling pin is your enemy.  You never want to use one of those with a pizza crust.  Hand stretch your dough ball gently, as to not pop the natural bubble rise of the dough.  Everything else looks great.

Also, no need for parchment paper if your stone is preheated.  The dough won't stick to a hot stone.

Thanks a bunch for the advice, the dough was still pretty cold to stretch tonight due to a late departure from the fridge, so I went roller to help even it out.  I appreciate the feedback, makes total sense now that I think about it.  I will be making another pizza again soon, without the rolling pin...  ;)

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Monty77 said:

Thanks a bunch for the advice, the dough was still pretty cold to stretch tonight due to a late departure from the fridge, so I went roller to help even it out.  I appreciate the feedback, makes total sense now that I think about it.  I will be making another pizza again soon, without the rolling pin...  ;)
    Looking forward to seeing your future attempts.  Been working at pizza for a while now and making some pretty good stuff finally.  I think pizza is the hardest thing to perfect on the egg.  Really fun and challenging to try though, even a so-so pizza is pretty tasty!  And when you really start nailing 'em, worth all the effort to figure everything out!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Monty77
    Options
    @ChokeOnSmoke, I might just have to use up the remainder of my dough today, so I will see how it turns out today.  Thanks again for the tip!  

• Monty77
    Options
    Second attempt today for lunch, still at 700*, crust did rise more than yesterday and I let it go a bit longer to ensure a little more crunch.  Still a challenge to form the dough in a circle and get the thickness just right.   This version hung over the edge of the stone in two spots due to its oblong shape.  Guess I am just gonna have to keep on making em till I get it right.  Oh darn...

Any other feedback from you pizza pros, I'm all ears!  

I really enjoyed today's version, taste and crust were spot on for my liking.  Oh and my wife pretty much destroyed the other half so she apparently enjoyed it too.  

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    Looks Great.  How did you make the dough?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Good looking pies Monty!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Monty77
    Options
    Dan4BBQ said:
    Looks Great.  How did you make the dough?
    This batch of pizzas was made from store bought dough due to the last minute decision to make them.  

Now that I am looking forward to making more, I took this recipe out of our local liquor store (LCBO) summer cooking guide.  This month it was focused on summer bbq pizza party.  Here is the article on dough for your reading pleasure.  It also had a good looking sauce recipe and types of pizzas to try and pairings with beer.

You can find this recipe and more at this link...  I can't speak for any of them yet, but most look interesting.  If you happen to try any, let me know how they are.  

http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/promotions/summer-social-p5.html#.VezOOp1Viko