Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS oval drip pan frame

Options
I really like the stuff that CGS builds (thanks @tjv) ... the spider and PSWoo2 are right at the top of my list.  But, bringing up the bottom of the list is the oval drip pan frame.  If you like to keep your AR oval stone clean with a drip pan configuration, then that seems like the only game in town.

Someone posted that you're supposed to lay two sheets of aluminum foil on a flat surface, lay the frame in the center, and roll the foil up the outside and over into the center.  That results in a messy clean up after the cook ... don't like that.  I've been laying the frame on a flat surface, placing two sheets of foil over the frame, and carefully forming a bowl with the foil coming up the inside, over the top and back down the outside of the frame.  That's a pain with the shaping, but yields an easy cleanup.

Today, instead of hand forming the bowl, I cut an oval template out of 1/2" plywood that fits loosely into the center of the frame.  Two sheets of foil went down on the table, the template was laid in the middle, the foil was folded up the sides of the template, and then the combination was inserted into the frame.  The foil was then folded out and down the sides of the frame to lock it in place ... tipped the combination over on the table and folded the excess foil across the bottom of the frame and template.  Then pushed the template out of the assembly.  Quick and easy!!

Here's the template and the finished product:

Here's a better shot of the interior lip of the drip "pan":

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Clever.  I haven't found that I've had too much trouble with wrapping the foil over the frame; however, you may have stumbled upon a potential marketing gimmick for CGS: Cedar or Alder planks fashioned in this shape for cooking fish.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• rifrench
    Options
    I am able to get by with one sheet of HD foil, gently forming the foil into the frame and turning the frame/foil over to gently fold/crimp the foil on the bottom. I do wish there were a formed oval pan, though.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @rifrench ... that's what I've been doing all along.  But, the template is fast ... faster than it takes to explain it.

Now, as to the sagging center of the foil ... been using an extra pair of cross bars to support that area so that it doesn't burn.

Yep, an oval pan that fit the stone would be ideal.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @Jeepster47   I've looked at the foil ring, and love the quality of the stuff by CGS, but what's the benefit of the ring over a wrapped cookie sheet?

BTW, I like your plywood idea if using the ring.

Phoenix 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @blasting ... the Adjustable Rig uses an oval stone that the foil ring fits exactly.  That means the foil ring protects all of the stone from drippings and is protected from direct heat, thus having less of a chance of burning any drippings.  Would love to stumble upon that same shape in a cookie sheet.

• rifrench
    Options
    @rifrench ... that's what I've been doing all along.  But, the template is fast ... faster than it takes to explain it.

Now, as to the sagging center of the foil ... been using an extra pair of cross bars to support that area so that it doesn't burn.

Yep, an oval pan that fit the stone would be ideal.
    A second reading of your post made the light come on!  I will definitely try your idea, when I have the time to cut the plywood. Thanks for sharing!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Do the drippings really burn at 250 ? I always just make a foil boat, call it good.
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @SkinnyV ... More than willing to yield to insight from the chemists in our group, but here is my experience:

My first egg was a once-used egg-fest demo model.  Not sure what was cooked on it, but the plate setter had black crud thick enough that I started by chipping it off.  Since then I've kept an eye on the stuff dripping on the plate setter ... yep, it all turns black and crusty.

Will check the plate setter surface temp when smoking at 250 degrees during the next cook.  Because it's being heated by convection and radiation, it's most likely above that temp.  Since 250 degrees is the lower end of the smoke point for animal fat, it reinforces the concept that drippings will burn on the plate setter.

Most folks recommend using spacers to elevate the drip pan off the plate setter to prevent burning.  1/2" copper T's work well.  1/2" thick ceramic kiln posts work even better ... they resist sliding much better than the T's.

• mahenryak
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I end up cutting slits into each of the four corners of a standard disposable rectangular aluminum baking dish and then bending down the sides to allow it to fit atop the oval ring yet still underneath the stainless steel oval grill.  I don't get full coverage of the drippings but I seem to capture enough of the drippings to make me think not too much, if any, is over flowing off of the oval ring and into the fire--if this makes sense.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @SkinnyV ... today's cook was wings, so had the temp at 340 degrees for about an hour.  Pulled the grid and drip pan to measure the temp of the plate setter ... it measured 540 degrees.  So, at 250 degrees I suspect that the plate setter will be between 400 and 450 degrees.

@nolaegghead ... at what temp will dripping fat burn enough to put off bad smoke?

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @SkinnyV ... today's cook was wings, so had the temp at 340 degrees for about an hour.  Pulled the grid and drip pan to measure the temp of the plate setter ... it measured 540 degrees.  So, at 250 degrees I suspect that the plate setter will be between 400 and 450 degrees.

@nolaegghead ... at what temp will dripping fat burn enough to put off bad smoke?

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just pour some water in the drip pan to prevent any burning.  Having typed that, I did 2 butts Sat night and didn't add any water and no burn smell at all.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • mahenryak
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Something like this would look promising, if it wasn't so deep.

http://www.kitchendance.com/laovro.html

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Jeepster47 400 to 500F.  Put a drip pan in there with an air gap and water or foil.
    Options
    @Jeepster47 400 to 500F.  Put a drip pan in there with an air gap and water or foil.
      +1FWIW this is what my modified foil pan looked like after my Brisket cook on Sunday.

Oil3.jpg 516.8K

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    All good info here.  cool idea on the wood board, thanks for sharing. 

we use to sell a 10x15 rectangular pan but if warped because of the way the heat hit it.  the foil ring works best when space is an issue, mostly on multi grid cooks.

I typically leave the foil ring on the stone until the next day to let everything cool down.  then with the ring still on the stone I peel back the foil, remove the ring and ball up the foil with a new foil sheet wrapped around it.  

I'm not a fan of deep pans as they restrict air movement under the grid too much.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When I saw that deep pan in the photo my first thought was to take a scissors and cut down the sides to a shallow depth. @mahenryak mentions his "modified" pan in the photo above but it doesn't look like that's what he did. If the cut edges are sharp it could be foil lined. 
    Judy in San Diego
  • mahenryak
    Options
    When I saw that deep pan in the photo my first thought was to take a scissors and cut down the sides to a shallow depth. @mahenryak mentions his "modified" pan in the photo above but it doesn't look like that's what he did. If the cut edges are sharp it could be foil lined. 
    @Judy Mayberry I just cut slits part way down at each corner and then fold over.  Does this make sense?  Now I have my eye on the oval roaster in the link below.  It is also too deep but I think I may get better coverage even after I 'modify' it.

http://www.kitchendance.com/laovro.html

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @mahenryak:
    Have you tried lining the roasting pan with enough foil to extend the foil beyond the shape of the foil pan? Let it flare up and out to cover as much area as you want? The pan could be cut down to be quite shallow. That's what I do with smaller areas on smaller drip pans on my Eggs, and I don't see why it wouldn't work with larger areas in a big pan.

I usually wait till the next day when the fat has solidified in the foil and just lift out the foil lining and throw it in the garbage.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I like the oval ring. Wish I had one to match my circular stones. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Problem here is the fat does not solidify between March & October.  =)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ