Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you buy your meat in bulk?

Options
To save money I've looked at SRF, Costco and Zaycon. Was wondering if there was any other options and how long do you usually keep it in the freezer?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Sure I do, but are you really asking about buying half or a quarter of a cow or pig? For that that I buy in bulk I divide and vacuum down in Food Saver bags.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll buy subprimals of the expensive stuff (beef tenderloin, ribeye, sirloin strip, etc), portion and freeze.  I don't see the point with chicken.   It's good  in the freezer if all the air is removed (foodsaver and the like) for well over a year.  Fish doesn't seem to fare as well for some reason.  Keeping your freezer colder extends the quality.
    Options
    I buy a side of beef every year. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    To save money I've looked at SRF...
    You are looking in the wrong place to save money! 

They do have some sales, but it is still pretty pricey even at the sale price.  Don't get me wrong- it is definitely great meat but I would still consider it a "splurge" on sale. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    This. To save money, look for a local butcher that offers 1/4,1/2, or whole cow butchering. The side is broken down into steaks, roasts, ground beefs, and "odds and ends" if you want(tripe, tongue, etc). 

I am lucky to have farms/butchers that run the gamut around me, from organic, grass-fed beef to standard, grain-finished beef. Depending on what you get, the price is typically $3-7/lb for 200-500lbs of beef. 

You'll definitely need a deep-freezer for this, and the beef comes vacuum-sealed in individual cuts. My parents used to get a 1/2 side yearly when I was in high school.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nope
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GuitarEC
    Options
    Not previously, but with home renovations coming closer to completion, and the purchase of a small upright freezer, I will be looking into buying meats in bulk (well, bulk for a family of 3).

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • Davec433
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    To save money I've looked at SRF...
    You are looking in the wrong place to save money! 

They do have some sales, but it is still pretty pricey even at the sale price.  Don't get me wrong- it is definitely great meat but I would still consider it a "splurge" on sale. 

SRF is expensive but not as expensive as my local Wegmans! Meat from the butcher is expensive so SRF would actually be cheaper if I went with one if their packages.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Where are you located? 
  • Davec433
    Options
    I live 45 minutes south of DC. Everything is expensive here!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    This. To save money, look for a local butcher that offers 1/4,1/2, or whole cow butchering. The side is broken down into steaks, roasts, ground beefs, and "odds and ends" if you want(tripe, tongue, etc). 

I am lucky to have farms/butchers that run the gamut around me, from organic, grass-fed beef to standard, grain-finished beef. Depending on what you get, the price is typically $3-7/lb for 200-500lbs of beef. 

You'll definitely need a deep-freezer for this, and the beef comes vacuum-sealed in individual cuts. My parents used to get a 1/2 side yearly when I was in high school.
    I have 3 beef tongues in my freezer but still haven't figured out what to do with them. I hear the interior meat is fantastic if you prepare it correctly. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I'm 45 minutes north of DC, with no traffic(hahahahaha). It might be a haul, but I can recommend some butchers in Frederick, Howard, and Washington Counties that could help. I predominantly shop at Wegmans as well. The Dry-Aged Prime and Waygu offerings are nice, but yeah, they aren't cheap.
  • Davec433
    Options
    That would be awesome! We drive to Arlington once a month to get gluten free dog food so another 45 minutes on top of it is no big deal.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Okay. I have used JW Treuths near Ellicott City, MD and Wagner's Meats in Mt. Airy, MD. Both do sides of beef("freezer beef") along with traditional fresh cuts. Union Meat Company at Eastern Market in DC does freezer beef too, as well Prime grade. They will even dry age it for you. Hemp's Meats in Jefferson, MD does grain and grass-fed and  nearby is Hedgeapple Farm, which does grass-fed angus.

There are a couple of shops in Hagerstown but that would be a hike and I'm not that familiar with them.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    1/2 beef in Columbus is 3.45 lb hanging weight
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Davec433
    Options
    Thanks I'll have to check them out! We just drove through Hagerstown and it's about 2.5 hours from the house.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    1/2 beef in Columbus is 3.45 lb hanging weight
    Wagner's is 3.19/lb and Trueth's is 3.29/lb. I don't know about the others I mentioned.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Dave, can you get a membership for Restaurant depot? There's one in Alexandria on Eisenhower Ave. Membership in KCBS ($35) will get you unlimited day passes. Or, if you own a business or know someone who does, you can get a direct (free) membership without KCBS.

F'burg, I assume? Your Wegman's has pork butt for $1.49/lb, and usually at least half a dozen at the meat counter. Plus you have CARL'S!!! And Castiglia's WFO pizza!! What more could you NEED?! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Davec433
    Options
    Dave, can you get a membership for Restaurant depot? There's one in Alexandria on Eisenhower Ave. Membership in KCBS ($35) will get you unlimited day passes. Or, if you own a business or know someone who does, you can get a direct (free) membership without KCBS.

F'burg, I assume? Your Wegman's has pork butt for $1.49/lb, and usually at least half a dozen at the meat counter. Plus you have CARL'S!!! And Castiglia's WFO pizza!! What more could you NEED?! =)
    Do you just need to be a KCBS member to get unlimited day passes? 35 bucks is cheap compared to a Costco membership.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yep. Just show up at the front desk with your kcbs card and they'll give you a day pass. Dress warmly! Seriously, you'll be walking around in a 30-something° refrigerator!

BTW, Walmart sometimes (not always) has packer briskets. Last time I looked, it was under $3/lb for Choice. I've seen them in F'burg. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Davec433
    Options
    I'll have to get a KCBS card as well! I usually steer clear of the meat section at wallmart unless I need chicken.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I totally forgot about Restaurant Depot. I did the KCBS thing 3 years ago but have yet to go to RD  :s
  • Carolina Q
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Haha, I steer clear of BRISKET! :sick: Istr seeing it at Central Park Wegman's too, About $50? Not sure.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lvnthedrm
    Options
    I buy from here when I visit the Reston farmers market. I don't buy in bulk but they sell in bulk. I've talked to them about it and they've had it on hand at the market at times. Sorry don't remember price.
    They participate in a number of markets around the area which can be found under contact info and locations.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Yep. Just show up at the front desk with your kcbs card and they'll give you a day pass. Dress warmly! Seriously, you'll be walking around in a 30-something° refrigerator!

BTW, Walmart sometimes (not always) has packer briskets. Last time I looked, it was under $3/lb for Choice. I've seen them in F'burg. 
    Walmart had choice whole brisket here in little rock today for $2.98 a pound. 

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes. Portion and vac save. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I live near Annapolis but drive to Frederick (Jefferson actually) MD to buy most of my meat. Bought a package last year that had steaks, roasts and h'bgr.  Still have some the steaks and roasts but had to make a couple of trips back for their fresh ground burger. Makes some DANG good burgers. 

There is a RD about 25 minutes away off of I495. Don't have either membership yet.  Hmmm... I think I could just show them one of my business cards from my independent consulting days (had an S-Corp back then) and get a membership without the kcbs card :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Get calf from nephew in law and pig from my niece.  Both animals are pasture and hand raised.  Everything they have sold us has been really good. Vacuum seal and the meat in a freezer will last at least a year.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Davec433
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:
    I buy from here when I visit the Reston farmers market. I don't buy in bulk but they sell in bulk. I've talked to them about it and they've had it on hand at the market at times. Sorry don't remember price.
    They participate in a number of markets around the area which can be found under contact info and locations.
    I bought 2 good sized Bison ribeyes from Cibolafarms.com at Dumfries farmers market. Think they were 21 bucks a pound!