Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Hot Hot

Options
I need a little help. What do you Eggers do with the hot grill, plate setter ,etc.?  Where do you put these hot items when removing them from the heat?

Do you use stands?   Cooling Racks?

My concern is my kids and pets may come in contact with them.

My thought for the day...
"One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
" Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I have a Weber kettle that I use as a landing pad for the plate setter and grate.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I don't have kids or pets to worry about but, I set mine on a couple of paver stones (spaced) that sit on my table.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

I put the kids and the pets inside and leave the hot stuff laying around where only I can get burnt.

I share your concern.  Everything around my egg is wood.  I have a BUNCH of old hot pads that I am always laying out to put things on. 

Clinton, Iowa
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I set mine on my old gasser next to the egg.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
      Now where's that pic of the plate setter melted through a vinyl deck box?
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I place mine on a rack on the bottom of my table and slide it towards the back.  I watch things very carefully if my little girl is on the deck with me.  

So far I have taught her that all things at that table is "hot" and "don't touch" even when cool.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Granite tile from Home Depot
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if i tell my dog its hot he stands back, im assuming any 4 year old or older would do the same =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is what I do as well.  It actually works well because I usually put them on top so they are out of reach.  

My wife wants me to get rid of the gasser though...especially since I added the Blackstone.  My deck is starting to look like an outdoor cooker garage sale. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This topic has been discussed;
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160415/grate-racks

I have grate rack.  It does hold a hot plate setter, but doggies and kiddies still need to stay away.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I had a warranty on a fire ring so that now sits on my metal table. That is where I put my PS'ers when hot.

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    My gass grill is adjacent to the Egg. I transfer hot Egg accessories to the gass grill cooking grate and then close the lid on the gass grill. 
    IL 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    This is what I do as well.  It actually works well because I usually put them on top so they are out of reach.  

My wife wants me to get rid of the gasser though...especially since I added the Blackstone.  My deck is starting to look like an outdoor cooker garage sale. 
    Wife is after me to remove old gasser as well.  She even went as far as purchasing a new storage container for eggcessories but I can't put hot items in it.........so it stays.....for now.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options

Wife is after me to remove old gasser as well.  She even went as far as purchasing a new storage container for eggcessories but I can't put hot items in it.........so it stays.....for now.
    Exactly what I do as well and my wife is hounding me to dump the old Ducane... I have been eyeing a SS table to take its place.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I have the roasting rack/vertical rib rack.  I use it to set the platesetter/PSwoo on when it is hot.  I have kids also, so I sit them both on the table next to the BGE.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a prep table next to my egg that I put the plate setter on when I may switch over to direct and have a bracket to hold it or the grate when not in use.  My 6 year old knows not to touch the egg, but I am not sure our 8 month old puppy does and she likes to like the burnt stuff off it, but I only let that happen when it is not hot.  If they are to young, keep them inside tell they cool off.  Don't pour water on the plate setter or you will be getting a new one.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/work-table-with-stainless-steel-top-49/145625.ip?origin=search_page.rr1&campaign=rr&sn=MultiItemPersonalizedViewCP&

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TIW8XTG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LH1RPMASBL6X&coliid=I2QLGIFMGJE51V

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I have a Oklahoma joe I was going to sell but I think I will hand on to it for now. I like the stainless steel table idea ask well.
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options

Used to have a large wooden table.  Trashed it in exchange for nests and two military surplus olive drab tables as seen far right.  
    http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/featured3/metal-folding-table.html

Scuffed and repainted with high temp Rustoleum BBQ Grill Paint.  Line the top with a layer of HD foil for easy cleanup.  Works great for multiple grills and setups.  The tables are solid(heavy) and wind resistant, fold up nice for camping. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I TRY to leave everything together to COOL naturally prior to packing away or covering.
    I DO have some 1/2 firebricks I use as supports when needed.