Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Q&A

Options
Hi friends, cooking my first brisket on the egg this weekend. Big one too, 15lbs. One question, fat cap down, fat cap up, or trim fit cap off? Okay, is that more than one question? What is your preference? I'm inclined to trim it to a reasonable amount and put it up to help baste. I'll wrap at 160, and pull at 195.  How am I doing? 
Highland, MD  Egg Family: 1 Large, 1 Medium.

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    OK, you are going to get a lot of opinions on this.  First, don't trim off the fat cap, but you can trim it down to about 1/4 inch.  Also trim off the hard fat near the point and any silver skin that is on it.  I prefer fat cap down and the point to the back where my egg runs a little hotter.  The pint can handle the heat better.  I haven't wrapped a brisket, but yes 160 is good and it will sped up the process.  If you want to keep the bark use butcher's paper.  What temp are you going to cook at and what wood are you using?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Oh. when it gets to 195, start probing it.  If it probes like butter in the flat, then pull it.  If it isn't let it ride tell it does.  Are doing Texas method or doing burnt ends?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Trim the fat to 1/4".   Put fat up only if you block the rising direct (and/or nearly direct) heat really well.  Above the platesetter put some "spacers" (foil balls, etc) then a drip pan.  And block the entire silhouette of the meat very well.  I burned the bottom of several briskets (and some ribs) before I figured this out.  The platesetter gets really hot and the radiant heat from it can burn the underside of the meat.  Any drip pan placed directly on it can get similarly hot - hence the near for some air gap between them.  Pull when you can probe the flat and it feels like "buttah". 
    As for the wrapping, many like a foil wrap.  The meat will be moist, as will the bark.  Lately, I've copied Aaron Franklin and wrapped in butcher paper and have been very happy with the results.  The meat is moist but the bark is, well, bark. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• logsend
    logsend Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks. I will have to read up on the butchers paper. Cooking @ 225 for the duration.  I have an AR, so indirect and air gap is no problem. Cherry and pecan wood. 
    Highland, MD  Egg Family: 1 Large, 1 Medium.