Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza bottom burning...

Options
I'm an old school EggHead but new to trying pizza.  My set up is grill over inverted plate setter and stone on top of that.  Dome temp at 550...  

Made a beautiful margherita pizza and tossed it on the stone with a sprinkle of corn meal.  Almost immediately (2-3 min) I could see the bottom was burning.  Toppings not near done.  The bottom was Totally ruined after 5-6 min.  What gives?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Did you have an air gap between PS and stone?  Any pics of your set up?
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Dough recipe is another variable.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    My stone sits on the grill grate which is sitting on the legs of my plate setter.
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    I bought Trader Joes dough.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    What temp did the directions suggest?  Sugar is a big factor. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thermo calibrated? Maybe it was really 700°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thehumanrake
    Options
    I didn't look at directions on dough... Maybe I should have.  I just Googled BGE pizza quickly and the number I saw the most of was 550.  I think the thermo is calibrated because it's fairly new and I cooked a butt at 225 the other day and it took 10 hours to hit 195 which is standard.  I've actually had a little luck cooking pizza at 475 or so but the number 550 stuck out so much I thought I would try it.  

Would it make a difference if I stood the setter up and placed the stone on that?

Will advise on cooking temp of the dough.  That makes sense I guess.
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Dough with a higher than norm surger content will burn easy at higher temps.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    Well Guys... You helped me again.  The dough package says to cook it at 350.  Live and learn.

At least I can use the bottom of the pizza to fill in the pothole down the street.

Thanks again.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I use trader joes dough all the time and cook at 500-550 without any problem.  Just the plain dough though, the wheat and the herb one don't behave the same way, they do burn at higher heat.  I never noticed it says 350 on the package.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Try some 00 flour. Great stuff. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    One other thing that's helped me in the pizza department is to get it higher in the dome.  I run legs down on my plate setter then a few bricks and then stone on top of that.  My stone sits about 4" above the gasket.   Much more even cooking.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I've done 4 pizzas so far with great success.  Yes, cheated and bought take and bake but had excellent results.  First two were from Papa M's.  Second two from a small local pizza place.  I had them par bake the crust for a couple of minutes and then add the toppings which made it easy to slide the pizza on to the pizza stone.  Set up was PS legs up, standard grate, raised BGE grate on top and BGE stone .  Temp was about 600 degrees, bake time about 10 minutes.  Crust was golden brown, done to perfection.  My wife thought it was the best she ever had.  I have to agree.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have used trader joes at 550 plenty of times. The bigger variables would be air gap or letting the stone heat too long. How long did you have stone heating? I usually throw my pie on with parchment paper and then remove after a minute or two. The doneness of the bottom of crust at this point helps me understand how hot the stone is. If you need to cool the stone some, you can remove the pie and take a wet rag and wipe it down. No, it won't crack stone. Keep trying. I would bet the dough saying 350 has a small chance of being the issue. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    350 on a Pizza Dough? Wow!!! That's pretty low.  +1 on parchment paper and a damp rag sweep across the stone. Or better yet make your own dough sans sugar. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I think Chubbs is onto something. How long did you preheat the stone? I regularly do pizza in the 650-700 range without burning the crust. I have found that plate setter, legs down, with some sort of spacer between it and the stone (more space is better) works best for me.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    i put too much corn meal on the peel once and that burnt the bottom to a crisp in 3 or 4 minutes. Now I just rub the wooden peel with flour and shake off any excess and the pie slides off well without paper.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When you were getting your egg to temp and preheating the stone, did you slowly get the temp up to 550?  Or did the temp climb past that where you had to bring the temp back down?  Sounds like the stone was hotter than the dome temp. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What size was the butt that only took 10 hours to hit 195 at 225 degrees? Unless it was small that is fast or your thermometer my be off.

Other then that the only thing I see is maybe try getting the pizza higher in the dome.

I picked up a cheap inferred thermometer from Harbor Freight and use that to check the stone rather rely on the dome thermometer when cooking pizza.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I did your same setup with PS, grate then stone and too had burnt crust.  I put in my homemade raised grate in then the stone on top of it and it fixed my problem.  On the dough if says 350 for 20 or 30 minutes gone 450 or 500 at 8 to 10 minutes.   Remember to turn it a quarter turn half way through the cook.  It seems to help.  I have used Trader Joe's dough and cooked from 450 to 500 no problem.   00 pizza flour is the bumb and highly recommend it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.