Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash Baskets - Smart investment or worthless gadget?

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I dig it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    I use it 90% of the time.  The only time I take it out is when I'm doing a very long cook as I want to fit as much lump as possible in and the basket (to me) takes up space.  Otherwise, it's nice to just pick it up, shake it into a bag and reload.  Quick.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Volgrill
    Volgrill Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm skeptical because it seems to me that the ash will fall to the bottom anyway and as for knocking the ash of reusable coals, that can be accomplished easily with a stick of any sort

I have a XL and the bottom grate tends to not stay level.  So I'm considering a basket, largely in hopes that it'll help the bottom grate stay level.  

I read that the baskets help increase air flow, but my biggest problem is keeping the egg below 300 degrees, so more airflow might only make my problem worse.  

I'm interested in other thinking.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I have many other gadgets that I am more interested in before this one. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    I have a Kick Ash Basket and really like it. Makes starting easier, as no need to clean between cooks and excellent airflow. However, I imagine a Fish Bones or High Q grate would be equally effective for my use...
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I'll stick with my High-Q.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    I have one kick ash basket in one egg and just the fire grate in the other - and after almost a year of having the kick ash, I'm ordering one for each of my other eggs (soon as the small version comes out).

If you are a frequent cook - it does make the cleaning a whole lot easier - just pick up, shake and then you can clean the egg out without having to remove all of the lump that's in there. And since I clean mine at least once every two weeks or more, it's great to save me some time, a mess and a few extra steps.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Agree 100% with OP that keeping temp low in XL is sometimes challenging, the last thing I want is increased air flow.

For my Large, I fabricated this from a piece of 'almost free' scrap metal... Love it!

canuckland
  • GeorgiaGirl
    Options
    I love mine.  I cook on the egg about 4 times a week.  It is nice and quick to lift the basket of ash out to make sure the airflow is unobstructed.  Shake the basket, add more lump, and light.  Ready to go - nice and easy!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'm considering one for my MM. Not for airflow, but ease of cleaning the egg. Currently my MM sits near ground level and it's difficult to clean because I can't slide a bucket underneath and my ash tool doesn't fit in the bottom vent. I only clean it out after about 3 or 4 cooks because it's pain. The easiest way is to pull guts and hand scoop or shop vac. I'm not a big fan of shaking down all of the lump. The loose packed leftover lump works way better than shaken down or stirred lump.  
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    After being a long time hold out, I am in the Ash Basket camp. It's really nice to 'shake' out all the small crappy lump pieces along with ash and have excellent reusable lump that may or may not have been thrown out when I scooped out the egg lump by hand

It's a cool gizmo - that works great.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I love the Kick Ash Basket. Makes it easy to lift the basket with whatever lump is leftover and shop vac the ash from the egg.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have a KAB in one of my L eggs and one for my M egg. I got the first one from my wife for my birthday and I was a little bit skeptical about the value. I only bought the second one because I liked the first one so much.  Works great for me. I will be getting one for my S BGE when it comes out.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    I have one in my XL and really like it.  Much easier clean up and start up.  
    egger911 Posts: 39
    Options
    I've had mine for about a year and a half and I really like it. If you carefully lift it out there is VERY little ash left in the bottom of the Egg. I place it in a 6 gallon galvanized bucket and shake the bucket. Everything just falls into the bucket and then I put the lid on so there is no fire hazard. Top it off with fresh lump and your ready to go. If it ever wears out, I would definitely get another one. 
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm quite happy with the stock fire grate. Six years and it's cracked, but still plenty of life. Been cracked for 5 of those years, but hasn't gotten worse. 

What is this "clean up" I keep reading about? I stir the old lump with a garden trowel, dump in more if needed and use the wiggle rod. Every 3-4 cooks, I scrape out the ashes into a bucket with the ash tool through the bottom vent. If the pieces didn't fall through the grate, they get re-used. For me, the basket costs way more than it would be worth. So my vote? Worthless gadget.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Don't own one probably never will 
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Options
    does the increased airflow impact controlling temp in the lower ranges?
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    n00b said:
    does the increased airflow impact controlling temp in the lower ranges?
    I had no problem keeping 225 on a large with the KAB. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I love my KABs. I have one for all 4 Eggs and my KJ Classic. It is the only accessory that I use for every cook. Great invention IMO-
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Don't understand why folks think the Egg needs to spotless after each cook. I just put a pair of gloves on and stir up the charcoal. When the bottom is 75% full I clean it out. Only have temperature troubles 2 times, first being if I get lazy and let the bottom get full or when I have to much small stuff in the burn area. If anything I have a hard time keeping the temperature low...
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bottom line: If you're happy with the stock grate or your High Que, don't worry about getting a basket. If you're curious, try one.... 

As I said before, I didn't see the need for it. Now, having used the KAB for a whole bunch of cooks, I see many advantages over the stock fire grate and the High Que. The egg still holds plenty of lump for long cooks and I don't have to worry about how many holes I have open like the stock grate. (Mine always used to get clogged with small lump, not ash) It also keeps the side holes cleaner on the fire box. It seems that less of the small burning pieces fall thru the basket than with the High Que too. My aftermarket grates always slid around (annoying) when I was trying to stir the lump and get rid of the ash to start the egg. Non-issue with the basket now.

As far as controlling temp, the lower vent and daisy wheel are what controls the temp - basket or grate really doesn't make any difference unless the holes are clogged. The basket just removes the opportunity to have the fire get choked out by an ash clog. There's lots more channels for the lump to get air once it has passed through the lower vent. That air is limited by the amount you open the lower vent. 

As far as clean-out, I usually leave some ash in the bottom of the egg to offer a little "insulation" from burning lump laying directly on the bottom of the base. I certainly don't clean out after every cook. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    I have one in my MM and love how easy it is to clean the ashes in the bottom. Don't know that I would want one for the other sizes because I can get thru the draft door with the ash tool.
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Don't understand why folks think the Egg needs to spotless after each cook. I just put a pair of gloves on and stir up the charcoal. When the bottom is 75% full I clean it out. Only have temperature troubles 2 times, first being if I get lazy and let the bottom get full or when I have to much small stuff in the burn area. If anything I have a hard time keeping the temperature low...
    I use my basket with the grate. I find the basket helpful from clogging up the grate with small pieces of lump. I also find it helpful when doing low and slow cooks. All I need to do is pull out the basket and vaccum out the dust from above. The basket might come in handy for people who tailgate with their eggs. It definitely would help reduce the time for the egg to cool down. What I hated about the ash tool was that I would accidentally bump and disturb the fire grate. Now I have fire grate that sits at an angle with lump stuck between the fire grate and firebox. Ugh! To me that's worth the price right there
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have had a KAB in my large Egg for 8 months.
    I like it well enough that when they make one to fit my J Jr, I'm a buyer! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I have a basket for my large which I really like.  I also have a High Que grate still in its shipping container unused.  I've had problems with air flow so the basket has helped.  No opinion on the High Que as it's untested. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I love my KAB. No issues at all holding low temps. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    IMO, the cleanup is a distant secondary benefit. The real benefit is the increased airflow and protection of the side air holes in the fire box which when clogged cause most of the temp issues. The side protection alone makes this a superior gadget worth the investment. Like any gadget you won't know what your missing until you have one. Kinda like the Egg itself. There are lots of people who would never own one and don't see why anyone would. They just don't know what they are missing. 
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    Love it, easy to clean ashes out just lift basket out and use a shop vac. No problem with cooks below 300° have it on the large, basket forMM to come later.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Its ok....that is all.
    Seattle, WA