Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does a MiniMax hold enough charcoal to smoke a pork butt?

Options
My wife (God Bless Her!) gave me a MiniMax for our anniversary.  Now I don't have to cringe at lighting up my large BGE for a few burgers or dogs.  The BGE website says you can smoke a rack of ribs on it but I'm wondering (and doubting) that it can hold enough charcoal for a 10-12 hour smoke for a butt or brisket.  Any opinions?
Large BGE, MiniMax, Maverick 732, DigiQ DX2

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Fill that baby to where it almost touches the plate setter ... post pictures of that awesome butt when you finish.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options
    I've seen some photos of butts on Mini Maxes and Joe Juniors. I've done two butts on the Joe Junior.  ~8 lbs trimmed.  Use a pie tin as drip pan to avoid all that grease running down inside and you can use a cork as a space to pull the probe back so it doesn't poke into the meat.
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    worst that could happen is finishing the butt up in the oven, no one would even notice the difference
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Cooked at a demo a while back with a MiniMax....  Did an 8.42 pound butt. with a Flame Boss 100 with no problem!  Now just to convince my wife to let me get one!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    If I am cooking a single pork butt, I cook it hot and fast on the Mini Max. You will have to load the fire bowl like a game of Tetris, but yes it can be done. 
  • meturncl
    meturncl Posts: 51
    Options
    Ive done 2 butts so far and the lump lasted 10+ hours at 230-250 degrees.  I place the platesetter legs up covered in foil on top of the fire ring and not in the pre cut grooves.   Posted pictures below. 
    Geaux Tigers

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    meturncl said:
    Ive done 2 butts so far and the lump lasted 10+ hours at 230-250 degrees.  I place the platesetter legs up covered in foil on top of the fire ring and not in the pre cut grooves.   Posted pictures below. 
    Why don't you have your plate setter sitting in the notches?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Like stink on a monkey!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    meturncl said:

@lkapigian I'm guessing it is to allow him to pile up more lump in the fire bowl /ring for a longer cook.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• drewzim
    drewzim Posts: 4
    Options
    Did a little 5.5 # butt last week on vacation on the MM.  First time I've done one on the little guy.  Cooked it around 300F than I to get it done a little quicker. Turned out as good as any and had plenty of lump left to burn when I was done.  Go for it!
    Baltimore Area cooking on a XL & MM

GO O's!!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    meturncl said:

@lkapigian I'm guessing it is to allow him to pile up more lump in the fire bowl /ring for a longer cook.  
    True...I got a Mini this week, going to do a pork tri tip since they are smaller and take it to the "Pull Point" though they are very lean, they will break down
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    meturncl said:

True...I got a Mini this week, going to do a pork tri tip since they are smaller and take it to the "Pull Point" though they are very lean, they will break down
    You can do a decent sized shoulder in the mini. I did a 6lb one once and had lump left when I was done. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150687/mini-to-the-max#latest
  • meturncl
    meturncl Posts: 51
    Options
    For more airflow and to pile on more lump. 
    Geaux Tigers