Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Head to Head on Butt

Options
CDPlaya
CDPlaya Posts: 81
Need Input,

I know this topic is worn out.. I am planning a head to head competion with another Egghead. We decided to smoke a boston butt. He is an experienced egg user ,and pig hunter. I have done really well with my offset smoker.
I know he uses DP rub and does not inject. He periodically bases with natural juices from the drip pan. He does not pull off or wrap and finish the cooking. He cooks it

So i want to try something new with bold flavors. I would like to inject and rub. Then finish in foil with fruit juice.

I would invite all to post some pork butt killer recipies ,rubs and marinates.

** All proceeds from the competion will be donated to Charity and well as the food to a local seniors center.

thanks
"One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
" Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short

Comments

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I like the bark. Putting tinfoil on the butt may ruin it. Cook it low and let it render out most of the fat. Injecting the butt with a fluid will increase the cook time. All the liquid will need to be evaporated in order to get the butt up to final temperature.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @CDPlaya, I've come to love Alton Brown's pulled pork recipe.  Others will chime in with other worthy methods.  It involves an overnight brine in molasses, pickling salt and water and can be found on Food Network website.  After the brine its dry rubbed and slow smoked. The dry rub is listed in the recipe and all I add is granulated garlic to his recipe.  It is outstanding and needs no sauce.  Best with 4-5# butts for bark to meat ratio and flavor.  Never met anything but big compliments with this. Try it out.  You'll be pleased with the outcome!  Also works with turbo cook but for me, it's better L & S.  Good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    I have doing some research. Question Dizzy has a coffee infused rub. Has anyone tried it on a pork butt?

Alton Brown is a Food mad scientist. I love his technical details.

I purchesed 4 butts today on sale .89 per lb. I have three ateemps ,before the contest.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    .89/#!  What a bargain!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I use red eye express, but have never used it on a butt. It's great on chops though.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @CDPlaya - when is this competition? I will come by if possible.
    New Orleans LA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I cooked a butt a couple of weeks ago purchased from Costco.  It was a Whole Boneless Shoulder.  The deboning process opened the butt up and allowed for rub on inside and outside then I tied it up for the cook.  Meat had a ton of flavor.  I have never injected.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    We have not set a firm date yet. My Egg is still in the box waiting for the table to cure. Any secret weapon is appreciated,lol unless you are him.  Lol.  I will post the date when confirmed.

thanks

• CDPlaya
    Options
    Should we establish ground rules to keep it on the up and up?  If so ,any Suggestions?

like mentioned above, bone in /out? Or free for all....
  • Dondgc
    Options
    CDPlaya said:
    Dondgc said:
    We have not set a firm date yet. My Egg is still in the box waiting for the table to cure. Any secret weapon is appreciated,lol unless you are him.  Lol.  I will post the date when confirmed.

thanks

No I am not him! I am not ready for any competition other than as a spectator!
    New Orleans LA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    If he is going with DP switch it up.  Maybe try meat churches honey BBQ or Drex nuts.  Both of those are great and different.  I really like mixing bad byrons and swamp venom 60-40
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    CDPlaya said:
    I have doing some research. Question Dizzy has a coffee infused rub. Has anyone tried it on a pork butt?

Alton Brown is a Food mad scientist. I love his technical details.

I purchesed 4 butts today on sale .89 per lb. I have three ateemps ,before the contest.
    @CDPlaya where did you find butts that cheap?  What pRt of the country are you in?
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    @Chrisc133.  I am in the New Orleans area . A local store in Metairie ,Lousiana called Zappardos had twin packs for .89 per pound. No Limit. They were vacuum packed in a heavy material ,not frozen.  Bone in.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    That's a steal.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    I would post a pic ,but don't know how.
  • Dondgc
    Options
    CDPlaya said:
    @Chrisc133.  I am in the New Orleans area . A local store in Metairie ,Lousiana called Zappardos had twin packs for .89 per pound. No Limit. They were vacuum packed in a heavy material ,not frozen.  Bone in.
    @CDPlaya - I thought I got a good deal at Dorignac's a couple of weeks ago at .99 for a twin pack.  I should have driven down the road a bit!
    New Orleans LA
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    CDPlaya said:
    @CDPlaya - I thought I got a good deal at Dorignac's a couple of weeks ago at .99 for a twin pack.  I should have driven down the road a bit!
    I got the Ad Thursday ,the sale started Friday . The meat stocking guy said he has worked there for 15 years and never seen the price that low . He said buy them before they figure out someone made a mistake..lol They had baby back ribs,from Denmark, two slabs for 19.00.  They may have supplied Houston's restaurant that closed.

.99 is not a bad price either .
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Not sure if any of you guys order from Omaha Steaks but I just got an email stating this Thursday (8/13/15) is their anniversary and everything is 50% off or more.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I wouldn't buy from Omaha Steaks if it were 75%  off. That would bring it down to reasonable prices but for inferior food; still not a good deal.