Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butts on sale at Kroger

Options
as seen at the North Decatur Rd location. Going to attempt my first turbo today! 

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Nice! hopefully they are on sale here (Colorado). I actually think the moist and tender brand meat is really good. Better than my local butcher, better than overpriced whole foods etc.
  • BigJonMoo73
    Options
    Sweet! I'm gonna have to pick one or two up since I am all out!
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    That price has been on and off at the Krogers around here for the past few weeks. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cliffturner04
    Options
    Got it all seasonsed up with yellow mustard and a local BBQ rub from Fox Bros BBQ (I know the fat cap is down, it will be flipped when I pop it on)
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    I love Fox Bros sauce
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I cooked with my fat cap down...  did I do it "wrong"?
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    fyi  my Boston Bottom  was sub $2 a lb  at Patton's Duluth GA  -  what I consider a good butcher shop in an upscale burb.    your price was good too though....
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    @Cliffturner04 - Can you advise how you liked the FOX Bros Rub?  I haven't tried it yet, but my local Kroger here in Marietta carries the Fox Bros sauces and the Rub, so it is easy to get here!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Good price for sure

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @EagleIII - I have some of the Fox Bros rub. It is a bit too salty for my taste. I don't think there is any sugar in the rub, so I mix it with turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw) to cut the salt.

I do like the sauces though.  Both the wing sauce and BBQ sauce are good. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• B727
    B727 Posts: 18
    Options
    Just paid $1.50/# at W/D yesterday. Needless to say, stocked up..............
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    @swordsmn  I always cooked mine with the fat cap scored and facing up - if you like your results, then you did it just right.  It all about your preferences and taste - don't ever let someone convince you that you're wrong.

SASIL,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Good price, but I'm not a fan of "enhanced" meats. Water, salt and more salt. If you have a Wegman's nearby, they have an un-enhanced bone-in butt, also for $1.49/lb. Everyday price. I go whenever I'm visiting Mom. Wish I had one here. Butts here are $2.99!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Krogers here in Houston have the butts for $1.49/lb this week.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • cliffturner04
    Options
    Good price, but I'm not a fan of "enhanced" meats. Water, salt and more salt. If you have a Wegman's nearby, they have an un-enhanced bone-in butt, also for $1.49/lb. Everyday price. I go whenever I'm visiting Mom. Wish I had one here. Butts here are $2.99!!
    I'd have to agree with you, Carolina Q.  It was a TAD bit on the salty side.  Not sure if that was because the Fox Bros Rub we used was salty when combined with the "enhanced" meat or what.  We bought 2 butts, so I'm going to try a less salty rub next time (Dizzy Pig probably) and see.  The turbo butt still turned out better than the low and slow I tried before, it was insanely juicy and practically fell apart when I was taking it off the grill.  Im definitely sold on turbo, 8 hours for nearly identical results versus 15 is awesome.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Just got 2 on sale at Hy-Vee for $.88 lb ! Today and tomorrow only.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'd have to agree with you, Carolina Q.  It was a TAD bit on the salty side.  Not sure if that was because the Fox Bros Rub we used was salty when combined with the "enhanced" meat or what.  We bought 2 butts, so I'm going to try a less salty rub next time (Dizzy Pig probably) and see.  The turbo butt still turned out better than the low and slow I tried before, it was insanely juicy and practically fell apart when I was taking it off the grill.  Im definitely sold on turbo, 8 hours for nearly identical results versus 15 is awesome.
    Try this homebrew rub. It calls for 1 Tablespoon of salt, but lately I have been cutting it to just a teaspoon. Either way, it's all I have ever used. I've never used a commercial rub for pork barbecue.

1 Tbls each: salt, sugar, brown sugar, ground cumin, chili powder, cracked black pepper, paprika plus 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

Smoke with hickory or oak, or some of each. No mop, no foil. Perfection!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Try this homebrew rub. It calls for 1 Tablespoon of salt, but lately I have been cutting it to just a teaspoon. Either way, it's all I have ever used. I've never used a commercial rub for pork barbecue.

1 Tbls each: salt, sugar, brown sugar, ground cumin, chili powder, cracked black pepper, paprika plus 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

Smoke with hickory or oak, or some of each. No mop, no foil. Perfection!

I've been doing essentially this. I cut the cumin (not a fan) and add 1 Tspn cinnamon. Money. 
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Our Hyvee has Butts @ .88/lb. Thursday and Friday this week.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    So far I've hit 3 Kroger stores and no butts in the coolers!  All I could find today is a little 5 pounder. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - Thanks for the feedback on the Fox Bros rubs and Sauces!
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Kroger had them for $.99 a lb over the weekend here in Houston - bought myself 2 for the freezer
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Finally found some on Friday last week.  Now there's about 80 pounds of Boston Butt sitting in my freezer.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!