Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Fail

Options
I was really looking forward to my first beer can chicken as I have done it a few times on my gasser. I pretty much followed the BGE recipe. Had the setter in and I had the egg around 375-400. It was about a 3lb bird. After over an hour and several jabs, I saw 170-180 pretty consistently after over 1.5 hours. Brought it in and started carving and it just didn't look right. I put it back on directly on the grate with the egg still above 325 for another 45 minutes or so. Brought it in and the breast looked good, but I was paranoid at that point and saw some pink in the thighs and legs. I tossed it. 

So was I just paranoid?  After almost 2 hours I was probably fine right?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Temp is temp. Pink could be the smoke reaction with the meat creating a pink color on the surface. If your thermometer is good the temp doesn't lie. It's like math. Hard to believe it want way over safe. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    So was I just paranoid?  After almost 2 hours I was probably fine right?
    I'm basing what I'm about to say on your word as I was not there to see it. But a 3 pound bird cooked at 400 degrees indirect for over a hour and then cooked 45 minutes more direct at 325 degrees, I'm willing to wager a lot that the bird was well beyond done. I have cooked a lot of chicken in my time and have never seen one that small come even close to taking that long. If the bird in question is somehow not done, the only explanation is your temps are off by miles.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thermapen/reliable thermometer?  Time and temp should've yielded a finished bird. Consider spatchcock approach.  For me, better than beer can.  Was probably fine.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    Temp is temp. Pink could be the smoke reaction with the meat creating a pink color on the surface. If your thermometer is good the temp doesn't lie. It's like math. Hard to believe it want way over safe. 
    Yeah, I was poking the damn thing all over. I think I was good, but chicken just make me nervous. 

How ow long should a 3lb bird take?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Next time drink the beer and do a spatchcock, you will be glad you did. Bones down 400 direct, raised grid. One hour +/- BOOM!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @jwc6160, what exactly did you mean about the chicken not looking right? You mentioned pink. Was it a pink hue or more of a bloody pink? 

Below is a link to an article about bloody chicken that might explain what you experienced. 
    http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    What SGH said. That bird was coooooooked. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You wasted a perfectly good chicken.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=why+is+cooked+chicken+red

EDIT: I read somewhere just yesterday that the red color has something to do with the young age at which they are slaughtering chickens these days. Can't find the article though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yes, you were just paranoid. 

Please don't do that again!
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You wasted a perfectly good chicken.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=why+is+cooked+chicken+red

EDIT: I read somewhere just yesterday that the red color has something to do with the young age at which they are slaughtering chickens these days. Can't find the article though.
    Look above^^^^^^^^^^
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    people still do beer can chic?

Beaufort, SC
  • stemc33
    Options
    people still do beer can chic?

Until they do spatchcock.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
     Here's a good article on beer can chicken. I think it's been posted here before 
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    ... After over an hour and several jabs, I saw 170-180 pretty consistently after over 1.5 hours. ...  Yeah, I was poking the damn thing all over. I think I was good, but chicken just make me nervous.
    If your thermometer was accurate, and you tested it in multiple appropriate places, deep in the meat, not near the bone, in breast and thigh, and you got those temperatures, then it was just plain cooked.  Period.  By the standards of many, here, it was actually a little overcooked!

To me, the wild card in this story is that something looked funny to you. You admitted that "chicken just make me nervous," so the most likely thing seems to me that you talked yourself into thinking there was a problem that wasn't there, because you're "nervous about chicken.  

But if there was, let's say, something wrong with the chicken other than cooking it, like maybe it was spoiled before you put it on the Egg but somehow you didn't notice a bad smell, that'd be a horse of a different color.  If you've cooked a lot of wonderful chicken and this one looked "off" to you, maybe you were right to pitch it.

For the next time, test your thermometer by measuring the temperature of boiling water.  If you're pretty near sea level, it ought to be 212 or pretty darn near it.  If your thermometer is accurate, test the next chicken deep in the muscle, several places, not near the bone, and if the breast is above 160 and the thighs are above 165, you're good to go -- after you take them off the grill, the temperatures will continue to rise several degrees.  If you're nervous about chicken, by all means take them up to 170 or higher, but they'll be drier that way.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Don't be scared man it's just a piece of meat. Trust your thermometer on this one. I'm honestly shocked with such a small bird you weren't half way to the often celebrated never imitated @Mickey well done wing recipe.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I've done this before and almost tossed the bird. But it's done for sure. Actually happens to me most times I do a beer can chicken. Really freaks out guests for sure - but so tasty
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    Options
    Even though I've read the article/looked at photos I posted along with others, I have a hard time eating bloody chicken.

If the saying "We taste with our eyes first" is correct, I don't like it. Regardless of what the experts say, bloody chicken is not appealing. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You do know it's not blood, right? The temp is the key. It's either done or it's not. Regardless of color.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_chicken_is_done_when_juices_run_clear.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut