Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor island/kitchen

Options

Comments

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Chubby said:
    ob said:
    That is beautiful, awesome job Midwestsmoker!!!!!  I want to do something similar.  I have a 14 x14 concrete pad with electric, water and septic under the concrete to eventully do an outdoor kitchen.  But first I need a cover and the one you have is exactly the size, shape and materials I am wanting.  Would you happen to have the plans for your cedar pavilion. Thanks for your time.
    I can't say for sure ....but I spent a lot of time looking at the prefab pergolas and outdoor patio covers at Home Depot.
    These appear to be them... or something just like them, He'll have to jump in here and say one way or the other as I could be wrong?
    They look to be well made and you can install them yourself or have them installed by the manufacturer.
    I thought they were a good value for the money... and come in many sizes and configurations...  but in the end I chose to go another route.

As far as the rest of it... it certainly isn't prefab and its not Home Depot!!
    Correct, the Pergola and Pavilion were purchased through Home Depot but I did the installation myself. 
  • midwestsmoker
    Options

AWESOME!  SWEET! WOW!  Man that is what I would love to build some day.  Yes, Outstanding workmanship!  The slid out shelves are interesting.  
    They are Rev-A-Shelf with the door mounting kit, I made the door faces myself
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I am standing up at work and slow clapping it. That is brilliant work!
    Thanks, that cracks me up
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Wow... and wow some more! You have a beautiful eggdom. Those countertops look amazing. 

I thought of building an outdoor kitchen using metal stud like you did, and so have some questions:

1. What brand/kind of stud did you use? G90?

2. Where did you source the studs from? Were they available at Lowes/HD or did you have to go to a supply house?

3. What kind of screws did you use to build the frame?

4. What did you use to attach the stone to the hardibacker?

Thanks  :)
    1 & 2. Thanks, studs and track came from lowes, didn't pay attention to the gauge but it was acceptable to me.

3. I tried several different ones until I decided on a combination of self piercing and self drilling metal lath screws. The trick was to clamp it together to level & plumb it before I screwed it together. 

4. Once again I used a combination, loctite 3x & 8x

hope that helps
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for the compliments and questions. There is actually a story that goes along with this build which I posted on Big Green Egg Facebook with other photos which I should have original posted here but here is the story. 

After a 3 year process, with the exception of a few small details, I am finally done with the outdoor kitchen/island. It all started one cold and lonely day in December with a single egg I purchased 8 years ago for a family of 4. After convincing my buddy of almost 40 years Bill Kluth that the Big Green Egg was the be all you can be of the backyard BBQ world he finally purchased his first large egg. He soon decided the large wasn't big enough for a bachelor so he purchased the XL Egg and offered his large to me at a friendship price. Now, for those of you that don't know Mr. Kluth, he is the most impatient man of earth. As soon as the Mini Max eggs were released he purchased the first 2 in the Chicagoland area and surprised me with one, thank you very much. So as you can see the island was not only necessary it needed to accommodate all 3. Therefore I am thankful for the end project in many ways. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What's your friends name and phone number? I need a new pal.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    That is wicked-nice!
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    What's your friends name and phone number? I need a new pal.
    I would be breaking the egghead friendship confidentiality rule as noted in book 14; page 96; paragraph 37
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I agree with the others, all that anyone can say is WOW!  And I think that covers it.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • toothologist
    Options
    Looks awesome. I'd stand a start a slow-clap. 
    "Quality and convenience are rarely seen walking hand in hand."- Alton Brown
    LBGE
    Northwest TN
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Brilliant work. Makes me wanna take a wrecking ball to my space
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Nooooooooooooooo!
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I'm thinking old Scotty owes you a SGH double seal of approval for that nice looking work. I wish I had the time to devote to such a worthy project. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.  
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Haven't seen yours but no egg dome should ever see a wrecking ball
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yo! You've got skills my friend!!! That's a space anybody that has a love for outdoor cooking (egging) wood be proud and quite comfortable using. Fantastic.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone for the comments. It's a love we all share and any eggsperience is a lifetime of memories. I'm just glad to see it growing the way it has been. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Unbelievable  :bow: awesomeness x10. Well done. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Awesome.  That is exactly what I wanted to do.  Now I have some plans that I can adjust to my area.  Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy it.
  • dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    Options
    So cool...so very, very cool. Love the lighting and attention to detail!
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • GeorgiaGirl
    Options
    That is Incredible!  We didn't buy a table when we bought our egg because I had ideas about what I really wanted - an outside kitchen/patio.  Yours is now bookmarked so I can show my husband.  Thanks for the inspiration!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited July 2015
    Options
    midwestsmoker said:  
    1 & 2. Thanks, studs and track came from lowes, didn't pay attention to the gauge but it was acceptable to me.

3. I tried several different ones until I decided on a combination of self piercing and self drilling metal lath screws. The trick was to clamp it together to level & plumb it before I screwed it together. 

4. Once again I used a combination, loctite 3x & 8x

hope that helps
    Thanks for the info. I get more envious each time I look at your pics.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That's absolutely beautiful!  I've poured the concrete countertops before, so I know how much work is involved in just the countertops.  Love the sculpted edges as well.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • jeffsun21
    Options
    Very nice job, I saw older post of your setup before the counter build out. Couldn't find Facebook pictures ? It looks like you used possibly Z-countertop forms and mix,is that correct?  What about stone, I see the boxes have there name on them, is it applied with thinset?. The Cedar Pavilion thru Home Depot and Lawn Masters?  I could ask more but it looks like your getting lots of attention (well deserved) .
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Options
    Very nice!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    Absolutely Amazing!!!  Any properties around you for sale?  Their value just went up with you as their neighbor!
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Super nice. Like everyone else I love the tops. I'm jealous. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    jeffsun21 said:
    Very nice job, I saw older post of your setup before the counter build out. Couldn't find Facebook pictures ? It looks like you used possibly Z-countertop forms and mix,is that correct?  What about stone, I see the boxes have there name on them, is it applied with thinset?. The Cedar Pavilion thru Home Depot and Lawn Masters?  I could ask more but it looks like your getting lots of attention (well deserved) .
    Hey Jeff, thanks. Yes, you are correct on all accounts. I didn't go into details, maybe I should have. Z forms and mix worked great, very pleased. The stone is Centurion, Rustic Brown and I used Loctite 8x for the adhesive and also bought the corners. Very pleased with the stone, many sizes colors and textures in the mix. Since I never personally poured concrete tops or laid stone it really came out nice. I will need to strip the top and re stain and seal as I may have rushed at the end. When it rained bubbles showed up and pulled the stain up with it. The pergola & Pavilion were from Depot (lawn masters) however I had to haul it from TN to Indy since they didnt sell it north of TN. They didn't supply any directions or drawings since they weren't installing it,,I had to rely on Internet pictures.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Wanasmoke said:
    Absolutely Amazing!!!  Any properties around you for sale?  Their value just went up with you as their neighbor!
    Thanks, there are several families sprucing up there properties, no egghead neighbors yet
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Super nice. Like everyone else I love the tops. I'm jealous. 
    Thanks, I'll be honest, my first choice was cherry wood tops but I couldn't get comfortable with how they would weather up here. Since then I've learned more and if I had it to do all over again I would have used wood tops.