Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying used

Options
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here so hello everyone. A while back I was given a used medium and love it but the size of my family dictates a second medium or buying a larger one to accompany it. My question is at what price point would you consider buying a used? I know giving up the warranty is important but I assume that has a value. Just for reference, Craig's list usually has large eggs in my area for around 600-700 with various extras. Thanks everyone. 

Comments

• LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
     Why spend $700 for a used large when you can get a new one with a lifetime warranty for a little more? We bought new large for $799 in a bundle purchase. I realize different regions sell at different prices. 
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options
    I personally wouldn't go over 300 for a used medium or 500 for large. And I'm not 100% certain that I'd go that high.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive had 3 green bases go, new with warranty is the only way for me =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Personally... i wouldn't buy used. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I would probably go with a new.  The parts are really expensive if you have to buy them outside yourself.  If your firebox cracks you have more than made up the difference in price. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Like some have already said. I wouldn't go over $500 and it would need to include some accessories. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    If you have access to an eggfest, you can get a demo BGE from the fest at quite a deal and it comes with the warranty.  I wouldn't go over 50% of a new BGE for one used.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would probably go with a new.  The parts are really expensive if you have to buy them outside yourself.  If your firebox cracks you have more than made up the difference in price. 
    I just replaced my firebox - cost $160.  New fire grate cost $20.  Out of warranty parts can be expensive.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Buy new with a lifetime warranty and live a long time. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    I've picked up some great used deals.. My firs Large BGE with TONS of extras worth the $300.00 price I paid- A medium $200.00 just picked up a Brand New Never Used Snap On Ceramic Large ( PRIMO ) Stainless table hundreds of dollars in accessories-- the guy even drove 3 hours and delivered it -$550.00 ( gave this one away to my service manager )
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options
    I bought both of mine as demos: $500 for the large, $300 for the medium. Still got the lifetime warranty on both.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    As LadyGT described, prices vary by region, and whether you can find a deal on one at an eggfest (used once and normally sold at a nice discount).  Have you priced the set-up you want new? 

When I was looking, shopped a 50 mile radius to find the best deal new.  When I looked at used, I wanted at least a 40% discount to the best new price I could get.   Most sellers thought 33% off full retail was a good enough deal, but that really equated to 10% to 20% off the best deals.  After a couple months of looking, I bought my second egg new.

Good luck in your decision.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Scored my Large and nest for $400. Got lucky
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• lograt2
    lograt2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I tend to overthink my purchases but wouldn't want to drag a used one home to find it has a lighter fluid odor when I fire it up. Can you tell if it has a chemical residue and can you ever get rid of it?
    Reformed Gasser
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Buy new.  Put it in your kids name
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's a really a good idea.  Then you'll have to be nice to your kid.
    Options
    lograt2 said:
    I tend to overthink my purchases but wouldn't want to drag a used one home to find it has a lighter fluid odor when I fire it up. Can you tell if it has a chemical residue and can you ever get rid of it?
    Yes. Some will say it takes a couple years and others will tell you it takes a couple high heat cooks.  I'd just ask the previous owner.  Plus you will smell the lighter infused into the ceramic.  Not a complete deal breaker in my opinion 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Options
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    That snap-on looks EXACTLY like my medium vision that I bought brand new from sams for 199.00. 

Little Rock, AR

• lkapigian
    Options
    That snap-on looks EXACTLY like my medium vision that I bought brand new from sams for 199.00. 
    Not a vision (pretty sure), either primo or kamado large ( i've been wrong more than once in my life)-- pretty darn solid, would be a steal @ 199 I was fine with 550 they are everywhere on CL right now-

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Cap and thermometer are the same. Mine doesnt have stainless bands. 

Little Rock, AR

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist- How did you get this for $199?  Do they close them out at Sam's?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lkapigian
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cap and thermometer are the same. Mine doesnt have stainless bands. 

Yup, you may be correct other odd item is the bottom vent door you my be correct, the top vent is numbered 1-5, definitely the size of a large I'd say about the same weight as well, still I'd snag another if I could get it in the 500 range....unless I could find  new vision for 199 Found this review from @nibblmethis and I'd say you are correct about it being vision the one in this review looks the same

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2014/05/review-of-vision-grills-classic-b.html

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist- How did you get this for $199?  Do they close them out at Sam's?  
    In january at sams they hadd them for 299.00, I nearly bought it but was in the car. Happened back in there few weeks later in feb and had them marked down to 199.00. I jumped all over it. And it comes with lifetime warranty comparable to egg warranty. 

Little Rock, AR

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    In january at sams they hadd them for 299.00, I nearly bought it but was in the car. Happened back in there few weeks later in feb and had them marked down to 199.00. I jumped all over it. And it comes with lifetime warranty comparable to egg warranty. 
    Cool-thanks!  My sister was looking at one of these at BJ's for $600 or so and I told her to wait for a sale somewhere. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Mine is equivalent to a medium egg. I think its the cheapest grade of vision grills. M-series, but hell, I have a large egg and a small egg so figured for 200 bucks I could leave it at the deer camp instead of hauling my small back and forth. 

Little Rock, AR

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    Why? Is it one warranty per person?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I believe he was saying  that the egg will out live you so register it in your kids name so when they inherit it the warranty is still good.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    So the warranty transfers by will but not sale?