Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tough meat

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a top sirloin roast last night...tasted great but it was pretty tough. I seared both sides at 650*-700* then lowered the temp to 300* and left on for 35min. turning about 4 times. Did I leave it on too long or did I use the wrong cut of meat? Oh it was about 2in. thick.
Thanks and have a good weekend.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Chuck,[p]No meat is wrong as all meats have a slightly different taste and texture. The cook does sound a bit long.[p]Do you have an internal meat thermometer? They are a real help in determining meat doneness.[p]Spin

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    TS_041500_181602_small.jpg
    <p />Chuck, sirloin isn't the most tender cut - check out the link for Hanker'n2Grill's Teriyaki Steak marinate. Great stuff and I'll guarantee that if you follow his directions you'll have a tender cut. Better luck next time![p]
    [ul][li]Hanker'n2Grill's Teriyaki Steak [/ul]
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Chuck, I think that you DEFINITELY long cooked it! I think that you'd be better off to let the meat sit out for a while covered up after seasoning and let it get to room temp. At exactly the temps that you're talking about, you'd be ok to throw 'em on for four minutes per side with the dampers wide open, then dwell them for 2-3 min. per side with everything shut. It'll come out medium rare and ohhhh man. There's nothing wrong with using unseasoned tenderizers when you season it. I use Adolf's meat tenderizer, onion powder, garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tiny amount of summer savory, thyme and as much mustard powder as you can tolerate, a little paprika. It sounds like a lot but it's a marraige of flavor that'll drive you crazy!
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I like the marinate recipe but what do you mean about cutting the meat "the right way" will make it tender. I followed the link but I don't see anything about the cutting.[p]I agree - the sirloin is not the most tender of cuts and of course you know that is so lean that slow cooking has little advantage. So what is this about cutting?[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, just referring to the cut of meat, not how the meat is cut - I usually slice per picture - sorry for the confusion.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    london2.jpg
    <p />Gfw,[p]Darn, I was hoping for some miracle method that would make my London Broil melt in your mouth, rather than just tasting wonderful as you chew and chew. Oh well.......[p]Tim
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Spin,
    No I don't but I will get one soon.
    ]thanks